First adjustment: H*OLY SH*T!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chantal

First adjustment: H*OLY SH*T!!!

#1 Post by Chantal »

Ignorance is bliss.

Silly me. I went to my first adjustment a little like in a dream... Not really expecting the big deal...

:shock:

Forget the "pain" of putting on the braces a month ago. THAT was IT!!! OMG!!! I honestly felt like my teeth were going to BREAK!!! I felt like the ortho was putting ALL of his weight and pressure on my front teeth! I was hovering a foot from my chair, contracted and squirming, my hands one inch from his throat to strangle him to stop, moaning in my most meaningful "GNN-NNAN-NN!!!" to beg him to understand that HE WAS BREAKING MY TEETH, one at a time, a whole-millions-years-four of them!

Even the assistants were looking at me with fear in their eyes!

Afterwards, the pain was radiating down to the middle of my neck, and in a big Y across my skull!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

My friends, that was a pure nightmare. But real.

NOW I can never see the next adjustment the same way ever again.

TERRIFIED. Period.

Anyone had the same experience? Is it the norm for putting on powerchains?

Dear Lord, help me God! That was only for the SMALLER of all the gaps I have to close!!!

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

Haha, must have had some sensitive teeth still when that puppy was put on.

MissKitten

#3 Post by MissKitten »

Been there, suffered that. :lol: My last adjustment, she put a thicker wire on, with some wireties plus a power chain to close my one gap that wasn't cooperating.

So they moved a lot, and then this last time I about jumped straight out of the chair when she put new stuff on. I teared up, and I have a really, really high pain tolerance. :( It's not fun.

iamtheotherme

#4 Post by iamtheotherme »

Phew! And here I'd just gotten my head to believe that my first adjustment on Monday wouldn't be so bad. Glad I got the bejeezus scared out of me again. :yikes:

lingualslady

#5 Post by lingualslady »

Maybe take some paracetamol before you go in for the next adjustment..

...or actually maybe go for codine - kept me sane after my wisdom tooth extraction!
Top and bottom STb's since 30th July..

KARESS

#6 Post by KARESS »

I got powerchains later on in my treatment.
My first adjustment..I guess they just changed the wire..I dont remember it hurting then but a few hours later my teeth were sore & I couldnt eat.

Later on your adjustments wont hurt..like when your teeth are kinda str8..even when they change the wire (make em stronger) or powerchains..they wont hurt anymore.
So you have something to look forward to.
:D
lol.

Banded: January. 18th, 2007
De-Banding: Nov. 6th, 2008!
& Nov. 13th, 2008 ; pics soon.

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer

shan*rock

#7 Post by shan*rock »

I did the same thing, went into my first adjustment thinking it would be no big thing since I didn't even hurt that bad after getting the braces on. WRONG! My first adjustment ws super painful and I got TADs (temporary anchorage devices) installed in my jaw so I was hurting.

I go for my second adjustment next week and I'm pretty scared. My teeth have been sensitive all month. I will take some kind of pain killer prior to this adjustment for sure.

artroxu

#8 Post by artroxu »

My first or second (i cant remember which) was really painful. I have self ligating brackets so the wire has to be popped in and out. When the asst was popping a stronger wire in on the top left (where my teeth lean in pretty far) my whole body was twisting and writhing and i was moaning so loud that i swear ppl in the waiting room heard me. I don't thing she was supporting my teeth from the back when she was popping the wires in. All the while she kept saying "sorry" over and over again, like that was supposed to make it hurt less. That remains to this day, my most painful adjustment. I have a pretty high tollerance for pain as well, so for me that was really something.

Cor1

I feeeeeeeel alll your pain tooooo!!

#9 Post by Cor1 »

[b]Hi there ya most of my adjustments to date haven't been my most enjoyable yet........I'm hoping that once everything is in alignment they won't be soooo bad.......but I really like my ortho assistants, they really now my teeth are sensitive, so they always support them in the back and try to be as gentle as they can, I have self litigating brackets, so you gotta pop them in and out, but I try to say to myself before- during-and after every adjustment NO PAIN NO GAIN, I WILL HAVE STRAIGHT TEETH AFTER ALL OF THIS!!!!!!!! Which is what I have always wanted!!!! Keep the faith, have some gooood over the counter pain meds, or if your of age a goooood smooooth drink might dooo the trick!!! [/b]

PARR

#10 Post by PARR »

I've had a couple that were doozies for sure, especially the last a few weeks ago, I was holding on to the arm rests for dear life! Yanking the old chains off putting new on crossing over each other and trying to get the little doors closed on the innovation r brackets (now a year in place and despite my awesome oral hygiene routine, a little crusted over I'm told.) OMG! And I take Ibuprofen an hour before the appt., and I'm a power lifter so a little pain is nada! Just the joys of a metal mouth. Gotta luv it and think of the killer smile coming your way!

PuppySmiles

#11 Post by PuppySmiles »

A treatment coordinator who has braces told me last week that her first adjustment was so painful, she told the doc "If all my adjustments are going to hurt like this, I CAN'T DO IT."

She says now, they're no big deal.

So it gets better! Hang in there!!! :-88

shaolin

#12 Post by shaolin »

Wuss

iamjacksrum

#13 Post by iamjacksrum »

This makes me so nervous! I have my first adjustment later next month!

KARESS

#14 Post by KARESS »

shaolin wrote:Wuss
lol!

Banded: January. 18th, 2007
De-Banding: Nov. 6th, 2008!
& Nov. 13th, 2008 ; pics soon.

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer