Day 3 and ouch!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Megan11

Day 3 and ouch!

#1 Post by Megan11 »

So I bit the bullet and went ahead and got my Damon 3's. Yeah, they're pretty visible but I decided that if I kept trying to make my mind up I would loose precious "teeth-fixing" time.

My Question is, after reading many posts, I feel like I am in a lot more pain than the average person was. I literally having trouble eating ANYTHING at all.

Sucking through a straw is even extremely painful. I noticed my bottom teeth are a lot more sore and when pressure is applied to my lower molars....yikesssss it hurts.

When will things start to feel better. I am dying for a hefty meal.

martinboyce

#2 Post by martinboyce »

Hi Megan,

Sorry to hear your in pain. I found the first week was quite tender and then you find the sensitivity decreases until its all gone. The pain is usually followed by clicking teeth too, so dont be alarmed. The pain and clicking are both signs of movement and thats what this is all about at the end of the day. Dont be affraid to chew on your sensitive teeth either as chewing stimulates blood flow which is healthy for your gums and teeth.

The crappy thing is when you have adjustments the pain can return as they effectively re tighten them back up and pressure is reapplied for that month. This can cause a little more discomfort. So prepare yourself for that.

I know this is all words to you now and it doesnt fix the pain your in, but trust me the pain is well worth the rewards. Keep your head up, stay positive.

If you need any more support or advice drop into my story and leave a post :)

big hug \o/

leager2000

#3 Post by leager2000 »

Megan11,

Welcome to AW! Do not be deceived! You are definitely not the only one in a lot of pain. I was miserable after I first got my braces. I could not eat anything the first couple of days. I swallowed most of my food without chewing. I cried every now and then. It did get better and around the third week I could eat whatever I wanted without tenderness. I have tenderness for the first week after adjutments, but not nearly as bad as when I first got braces. Hang in there. This too shall pass!

]

Megan11

Megan11's much needed UPDATE

#4 Post by Megan11 »

Wow! I completely forgot I started a braces story. I can't believe 8 months have passed already, although, somedays it feels like its been 8 years!

So far so good. My teeth have moved so much it is amazing. I took me 8 months to have my first "catastrophic braces incident"! Haha, I thought I was going to make it the whole time without something bad happening. I broke my first bracket the other day on a sandwich. :cry:

After cursing everyone and their mother I finally came to and realized I was over reacting. If I am having a bad day and anything, and I mean anything, goes wrong with my braces it makes my day 34982 times worse. Funny how that works, right?

Okay cutting to the chase... PICTURES :banana: :banana:

To refresh your memory of the horror that was once my teeth, here ya go:

BUT, once upon a time my teeth used to look like this...

That is until my impacted canine teeth got jealous hiding out in the roof of my mouth all by themselves. They decided to hit the high road and see what all the fuss was about down yonder.

It was a sad sad day....

Fast forward about 2 and half years. After I got over the denial that, yes indeed, two freaking teeth just shot out of the roof of my mouth, I realized that ignoring the problem wasn't going to make it go away.

I got the baby canines pulled two weeks into braces and at my 2 month anniversary my teeth looked something like this:
Nothing short of a hot mess...

Around 3-4 months I saw a lot of movement
*NOTE* this is an upside down shot of uppers*****

So far my teeth have looked the best at 7 months, which I don't understand. At my latest adjustment my ortho moved all kinds of teeth around so now I have gaps all over the place I never had before

7 MONTHS*

CURRENT SMILE 8 MONTHS*

^^my stubborn side. That little guy flew up there really quick, much quicker than the other canine but once he got there he didn't want to move anymore :(

Well, I can say I have definitely not regretted getting braces. Lately I have been a little fed up with them and wanting to switch over to invisalign. BUT, I know deep down inside I really want to be strong and just stick it out until xmas. I should feel lucky I have such a short treatment time 8)

And, sorry for the novel. Clearly I have too much time on my hands :oops:

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Megan11

#5 Post by Megan11 »

P.S.

I know I am 8 months late but thank you MARTIN and LEAGER for the kind words!

Also does anyone know how to change the topic of my braces story?? I confoosed...

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

kayleighkelley

#6 Post by kayleighkelley »

Your teeth are looking so great!! I can not wait for mine to have major movement!!

Lela

#7 Post by Lela »

Nice progress Megan! You're only one day ahead of me :) . How much longer do you have to go?
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09

Megan11

#8 Post by Megan11 »

kayleighkelley wrote:Your teeth are looking so great!! I can not wait for mine to have major movement!!
Thank you so much Kayleigh! I really saw dramatic changes around 3-4 months so it shouldn't be too long now that you see big changes!
Lela wrote:Nice progress Megan! You're only one day ahead of me :) . How much longer do you have to go?
Thanks Lela! Actually, I was fully braced on Sept. 2 so we have the same B-day :D

Original Estimate was 12-18 months.
I requested another time estimate last week and he said he was shooting for Christmas but we will see...

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Andromeda

#9 Post by Andromeda »

Hi Megan, glad to see u starting up on your story again!

Im pretty sure the edit post and edit subject options are disabled. I remember reading back around xmas that Lynn said they probably wouldn't be back for a while...

Your teeth are looking really good for 8 months! I hope you wind up at the lower end of your estimate. I was told 18 by my first ortho and 12-13 by my 2nd/current ortho (I moved during treatment) and I got a debanding date for around my 15 month mark.

Megan11

#10 Post by Megan11 »

Thanks Andromeda!

I hope so badly I can get them off at 12 months but I am trying not to get my hopes up.

I went into the ortho today to get my wire clipped, AGAIN!! They didn't rebond the bracket :evil:, but I figured they wouldn't. I was just happy to have that pokey wire gone. I am going to eat the most fattening, filling food in the world tonight! I have been starving for the past 4 days!

OH! and while I was sitting there the ortho assist was looking confused and was like, " wait, you didn't just get your braces on did you!?" And I was like :shock: ummm NO does it look like I just got my freaking braces on!?!? Okay, I didn't say it like that but she was like oh ok I was just making sure I didn't think you were new.

That made me feel like crap but eh, whatever.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Megan11

#11 Post by Megan11 »

againbrace wrote:Hi Andromeda,
Speaking of brain farts, haha, j/k KEN :-9 !!

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Andromeda

#12 Post by Andromeda »

lol :lol:

martinboyce

#13 Post by martinboyce »

Hi Megan,

wow, just re-read your post, and came across my own post, way back in last year.

It looks like youve had a great 6 months. Lots of movement, a very exciting time.

I see that your teeth looked amazing in your before picture, but i assume your 2 baby canines were on show conceiling the real bad guys behind.

Your treatment is very similar to mine in that i had teeth sitting right back in the roof of my mouth, my laterals in my case. But pulling them back into the arch is much the same for both of us.

Im glad youve made an excellent start and your teeth look fricken amazing ok, no dumby assitant should make you feel bad.

keep your chin up, Nice one :)

Martin.

Megan11

#14 Post by Megan11 »

Hey Martin!

Yeah, I have actually been following your story and I asked you a question about that one tooth but you never said anything back :cry:, lol. But, no worries :D

Thanks for checking out my story!

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

teylix

#15 Post by teylix »

sounds like youve been a lot of drama for your ortho =P poor guy/girl!!

hope things move smoothly along. sometimes they hit a bump in the road and just need a little extra nudging. just be glad you didnt need surgery.. now that was awful :( i had surgery done on both jaws on monday.

dont worry about the timeframe too much. things will be done when theyre done ;)