Hi Everyone, and I got to have 7 teeth out I'm scared

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Martin

Hi Everyone, and I got to have 7 teeth out I'm scared

#1 Post by Martin »

Hi Everyone :D ,

I have been looking on the net for a forum with real people as there is also a lot of fear based stuff on the net. but this forum feels safe:) and everyone seems nice, soo..

My first post, kinda long one... :?

Basically I'm worrying if I've made the right choice, long story short, i was very poorly as a child and on a lot of different medications which affected the strength of my bones and gum structures, resulting in bad teeth, also because of the meds my blood clotting wasnt up to par so I couldnt have any dental work done either.

That was over 20 years ago, and well I lost a lot of confidence because of this, and kinda gave up on my teeth, and at times on myself but the last six months or so, i duno why something inside of me is making me decide to try and get them sorted out and get back on my feet, plus I kept getting an absess on one side.

Soo..

After a visit to the oral surgeon, he said 7 teeth will have to come out (inc wisdoms)

I told him how absoloutly terrified I was of dentists, hospitals etc, even the word procedure scares me, and he offered me consious sedation via IV.. midazol I think.

But my question, is it right that they will take all 7 teeth out in one go? I've been trying to find stories of others who have had so many teeth out at once, but can't seem to find anything and I'm worried if I'm doing the right thing

Also, I dont quite understand the consious sedation he said "you wont remember anything" but im more worried about what I will actually experience at the time, has anybody else had this experience of iv sedation, and please could you share what it was like, and if you've had so many teeth out at once.. Im terrified.

Sorry for such a long first post, but my appt is only a week away and Im starting to panic.

thanks for taking the time and read my post, and thanks for creating and sharing your stories.

Much Peace

Martin

Lily

#2 Post by Lily »

Hi there
I had 8 teeth out in one go incl wisdoms and while I was terrified at the prospect it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting! I don't have any experience of concious extractions apart from when I was really young having baby teeth taken out.

viewtopic.php?t=27452
That's my story with a little bit more on the surgery but not much, it was fairly uneventful!

I was off work for just over a week and felt back to normal after about 3 weeks I suppose.

Good luck for your journey, if you have any other questions I'm happy to help where possible :)

Martin

#3 Post by Martin »

Hi Lily :)

thanks for your reply, and for sharing your story.. I just read your post, and firstly I would like to say well done for being so bold taking that step, especially considering your previous experiences with dentists, thats similar to what I'm facing now and your story is encouraging. Also to read you had no post op pain is amazing.

I've been reading so much stuff on the net now about it, that I think I've scared myself more worrying about dry sockets etc and things like that.

I was a bit shocked because I asked the oral surgeon what meds he would prescribe me for the healing process and he said none.. :shock:, he just said take some ibuprofen when you get home and keep taking them, I was hoping he was going to prescribe me something a bit stronger, so I asked him again about the pain, and he said there wont be that much pain, then said it's just like when you fall over and bang your knee, it will be a bit sore for a few days??.. Hmm.... I am going to ask him again, and again though, I don't know why they wont offer me any stronger pain meds just in case.

Also Im a smoker so going without a ciggarette for a few days will be hard, especially at a time of stress or for something like this, but he said smoking tends to cause dry sockets more..

I will be honest I have been thinking about making a bolt for it, and just living with my teeth the way they are, but it means probably intermittent absess for the rest of my life, but after reading your story and others who have had a more positive experience I sort of think... no I can do it, I will get through it etc..

Thanks again for taking the time, and for your reply and for what you posted, I will keep that in mind, that it can be relatively pain free too, you have helped lift my spirits. just wish I could make a clone of myself without teeth issues :?

I'm glad you have the smile you like now:) and hope you have a wonderful day

Martin

chillin-in-grilz

#4 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

I had 6 teeth removed all at once, including wisdoms and 2 more a year later. its not too bad. I never had no problems
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

Martin

#5 Post by Martin »

Hi chillin :)

Thanks! I just read your story, that's quite a journey.. over 35 pages of replies.. :o but reading through your posts it's amazing how you always remained postitive and I think thats very inspiring.. also it was very comforting to read your recovery from your extractions was manageable.

Thank You for that, theres just sooo many horro stories on the net, and the people I spoke to offline so far, havnt had any teeth extracted and seem to think its just like going for a hair cut. I bet it would be different though if it was them.. anyway.

Thanks for sharing your story and the enourgament, im glad things have been working out, and you certainly had plenty of experiences as I guess many have on this forum.. but it's good to know that sharing your story can help someone each day. :)

I've just been reading about pain killers etc, and Im thinking of going to my GP before the dentist and explaining what I have to have done etc, and see if I can get some prescription pain killers just in case as the oral surgeon was reluctant to give me any.. worth a try I suppose I think the less pain, the quicker and easier the revcovery, certainly works that way for animals anyway..

Thanks again for your replies, Im starting to feel a little better, just never realised how much of a phobia I had until I was presented with the reality of actually getting them done.

In Peace

Martin

Lily

#6 Post by Lily »

Hi Martin :)
I understand your fear I really really do, in the week before I was going in for surgery I saw a nurse at work who was giving people flu jabs not carrying needles or anything just in her uniform and I felt chills up and down my spine and shuddered, I wasn't even getting a flu shot!

When I was lying in the little holding room just outside theatre where they administer the anaesthetic the surgeon was saying to have a medication and something else with it to avoid nausea, I can't even remember what he suggested (I was a bit medicated by then!) but it was never mentioned again by anyone, I'm not sure if he just decided the local anaesthetic would be enough.

I was also really really worried about dry socket, it was all I talked about in the weeks leading up to it! I did salt water rinses during the day as well as watered down listerine rinses and didn't swish then around in my mouth or anything just tilted my head from side to side to make sure it covered all the extraction sites then leaned over a bowl and just let the liquid fall out of my mouth, it was the same for when I finally started brushing my teeth again, I used a bottle of water and sort of tilted my head to let it rinse my mouth out. Take things as easy as possible and I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Can you get nicotine patches or something for the days after the extraction? I'm not a smoker but I know that I wouldn't have been able to get the suction needed for a cigarette. When I went for a check up 6 days later I couldn't open my mouth wide enough for them to take the stitches out because of the swelling.

Even when I was sitting in the hospital waiting for them to call me through I was just about ready to ask if I could just go home. The anticipation and fear make it seem far worse than it will be. Someone at work was comforting me when I was telling her about all the horror stories I had heard, she said 'of course people are going to talk about the horror stories.. you never get anyone who just says to you yep I went in, it all went smoothly, I came home.. Because it's not an entertaining story in a social setting' She was right, loads and loads of people have smooth experiences but just don't tend to talk about them.

I understand what you mean about making a clone without the teeth issues, I've often thought 'why me?'
I hope you post back once it's all over and done with, I'll be looking out for your 'it wasn't as bad as I expected!' thread :)

Take care
Lily

Martin

#7 Post by Martin »

Hi Lily and Serious.. :)

You know I was just reading your posts (been a busy day so just had chance to sit down now and check in) and I was just doing some breathing to center myself.

Your posts and replies have been really helpfull, and it's good to know Im not alone, something which is easy to forget I guess when you go into fear over something.
I understand your fear I really really do, in the week before I was going in for surgery I saw a nurse at work who was giving people flu jabs not carrying needles or anything just in her uniform and I felt chills up and down my spine and shuddered, I wasn't even getting a flu shot!
Lily, this soo resonated with me, you know a nurse got on the bus the other day and I had the same reaction, all my anxieties etc, everything just kinda came whooshing up and almost had a panic attack on the bus.

and yea, the waiting i think just adds to the apprehension and anxiety, shame they cant give you some valium or something before the appointment just to take the edge of everything, thats true what you said about most people only ever really want to relay the more dramatic horror stories that soo true. Strange thing about human nature I guess another thing thats easy to forget when in fear. thank you for reminding me..

Yea, I was thinking about getting patches if only for the few days for the initial healing to take place though I guess it would be a bonus if I could actually manage to stop smoking too.

What you said about putting the post in about it not being as bad as I expected, I sure hope to do that, and I will, as soon as Im on the other side of it.

Theres a lot more in all the replies that have helped me as i keep reading them, but thank you for your insight and support:) its sure helping me.

Seriously

Thank You for advice and support too (and to everyone who replied) and yea, that makes sense I think I would rather only have to go through it once than several times, and there is a good chance I probably wouldnt go back for the rest of the work. Thats encouraging knowing that you went back to work in 4 days, makes me realise there is another side to it.

I'm kind of hoping to sleep as much as possible, to pass the healing time too.

Ive been researching which is the best meds to get, so I can stock up

neurofen plus
veganin, and advil
paramol
gauzes
clove oil
Movies etc

and probably all kinds of stuff I may not even need, but it will make me feel better knowing I get everything stocked in.

One of the things Im worrying about is, if I take meds without food I tend to feel nauseus, but they say try not to eat at the site of extraction, the only problem is my extractions are from one side of my mouth to the other so thats gonna be kind of impossible to do. I've been practicing now but theres just no way it can be done.. sooo.. not sure what Im gonna do there.

Also did you have to sleep sitting up sort of thing?

Thank You so much for these replies and for the support, it is really helping. this time next week hopefully at least the scary part will be over and just have to take care of myself for a while

(((hugs)))

Martin

Martin

#8 Post by Martin »

Hi All,

I've been wondering how I am going to avoid eating at the extraction site since the extractions are from one side to the other, and i was thinking of those gum shield things that boxers wear?

Do you think it would be feasable to wear one of those to stop food particles etc getting into the holes?

Martin

Martin

#9 Post by Martin »

Hi Meryaten

Thanks:) yeah, I am hoping they are going to give me a shringe, if not i wil ask them for one, just have to remember to ask before they start or I will probably (hopefully) be too out of it afterwards. I have been practising sorta to eat without touching certain teeth but theres just no way.. I was thinking of just trying to sleep as much as possible, but then I remember I will probably need to take pain meds and for that you need food soo, kind of a catch 22..

I guess my fears are pretty much the same as what most folks fears are with dental situations, needles, pain, dry sockets, swelling.. etc. and from what Ive read so far it seems that everyone is different so there isnt really any definite specific.. this or that, as everyone responds differently.

Soo..

These replies have been really helpful and encouraging and supportive though, and have helped to ease some of my anxiety,

thanks for your reply and yea, I think I will play it safe and just stick to mushy foods for a while longer, at least until im out of the dry socket woods.

M

Emaciated

#10 Post by Emaciated »

But my question, is it right that they will take all 7 teeth out in one go? I've been trying to find stories of others who have had so many teeth out at once, but can't seem to find anything and I'm worried if I'm doing the right thing
I had 4 wisdoms out all at once. It was fine. Uneventful. I was just gassed too so was partially awake for it. Why not do all 7 at one? Why drag the anxiety out into 2 or 3 visits? Better to get it all done at once I think and only have to deal with the trauma once. (I use "trauma" liberally, its really not that bad at all. You'll be fine.)

And if it makes you feel any better, when I was at a follow up after my surgery sitting in the waiting room, a guy in there was bragging to everyone that he was about to have 10 teeth removed to have implants put in or something. So I guess they can do more then 7 in one go.
Also, I dont quite understand the consious sedation he said "you wont remember anything" but im more worried about what I will actually experience at the time, has anybody else had this experience of iv sedation, and please could you share what it was like, and if you've had so many teeth out at once.. Im terrified.
Most if not all of the post-op'ers here have had IV sedation (I think). For my actual jaw surgery (not the extractions) I was given something that was supposed to make me forget everything. I remember the guy telling me that as he gave it to me and I remember everything after that clearly to the point that they knocked me out. I don't know what I can tell you about it really, I had an IV in my arm, they doped me up, then they stuck another dose of something into it and told me it would make me forget. Then they wheeled me into the room and knocked me out. I woke up after it was done in good hands with nurses and things around me. If you want details about the experience I splurged my emotions onto the page here in the "details" section but let me warn you ahead of time that its a lot of rambling and I spare no details if you know what I mean.
I was a bit shocked because I asked the oral surgeon what meds he would prescribe me for the healing process and he said none
Honestly, you won't be in THAT much pain. It will feel like you got punched on both sides of your face for a few days. 3 ibuprofen = prescription strength which usually do pretty good for me. Aleve is a good pain reliever too.
Even when I was sitting in the hospital waiting for them to call me through I was just about ready to ask if I could just go home. The anticipation and fear make it seem far worse than it will be. Someone at work was comforting me when I was telling her about all the horror stories I had heard, she said 'of course people are going to talk about the horror stories.. you never get anyone who just says to you yep I went in, it all went smoothly, I came home.. Because it's not an entertaining story in a social setting' She was right, loads and loads of people have smooth experiences but just don't tend to talk about them.
I went in, it all went smoothy, I came home.

I know your "dentist chair fear" well. This is a pic of me at 19 years old:
After landing that jump, I grabbed the rear bumper of my friend's Jeep to let him tow me along. (I was totally sober and was showing off to some girls.) He hit the gas to be a dic and to make a long story short, drove me 60-miles-an-hour into a tree. I smashed all of my front teeth and messed myself up really bad. Had 5 emergency root canals and make-shift braces to repair the damage. It seriously messed me up when I walk into a dentist office to this day.

So I completely realize this may seem like crass advice for you, or for anyone who may read this who suffers from this, but I take Xanax before I go in which helps considerably. It kills the "flight" response that makes you want to run out of there. Its available by prescription and is awesome for stuff like that. It also plays nice with IV medications, although you should definitely disclose ahead of time that you plan to take one before coming in. And make sure you tell the anesthesiologist, not just your surgeon because he won't know if its IV friendly or not. And tell them at least 48 hours ahead of time in case he doesn't like the idea. That will give you plenty of time NOT to take it if he says no.

I know your appointment is coming right up so this may be a mute point by now you'll be fine and they'll take good care of you. Its not a fun experience, nor is the recovery but its not horrible either and you'll be puffing on a smoke again in no time.

Here's a thread on anxiety too if you want to contribute to it before or after your procedure.
viewtopic.php?t=27180

Martin

#11 Post by Martin »

Hi Karl..

Oh boy I don't know were to start.. 8)

Thanks for replying, sorry for the delay in responding but a kind of crazy day

I was just re-reading your story.. OMG!. Man Im so sorry you had to experience that, I can only imagine what it must of been like, even now I guess you must still reflect on things.. You know reading your story and trying to imagine what it was like, the thing that shines though the most if the testimony to your incredible spirit and your energy, and the light you share with others now by sharing your story and experiences:) you have a great syle of writing too which kinda cuts through the **** but at the same time presents it to you gently and I think thats cool

I'm glad that most of that is behind you now, and i hope your life is flowing now in the direction you want it.

I've had a few accidents in my time, but I dont think I've quite had anything that matches that, and the last time I had to go near anything medical was when I was kid and had to have a liver biopsy and some pretty horrendeous tests etc, and shipped around various hosptials I'm guessing thats where most of my fears around such things come from now as they were very challenging times for a child. (which I was back then)

I picked up a great vibe from your reply, as I did with everyones replies on here, but it's like, it's hard to explain but almost like im collecting positve experiences and sort of bringing in the energy of that, as like so many have mentioned people or human nature is soo quick to present the bad news and drama, its easy to get caught up in it and feel overwhelmed by it all.

but from reading your experiences and your challenges and the way you present your story there is a much greater light at the end of the big scary dental tunnel lol :roll: and I certainly feel more positive now from reading all the replies and in knowing that I am not alone.

There is a lot of info on your website ( I love the design too by the way) so I will venture into it and read, not sure I will check out the pics just yet, but I have bookmarked it for later..:)

I want to say Thank You for your honesty ( and everyone else) and for being such a light, and also thank you for your tips and advice, I have an appointment booked with my normal GP tommorrow so Im going to mentioned xanax or something to just take the edge of like you said, I will check ahead of time with the oral surgeon too.

Thanks for the kind words, and the encouragement, you have really helped ease some of my fears, and thanks to everyone else too:)

I;m gonna go and check out that other thread now, and I will stay close to this post.

Thanks Karl :-88 and everyone..

M

Martin

#12 Post by Martin »

Hey:)

Yea, I forgot about that saying.. that certainly seems to be true, I rekon if you got a bunch of folk and put them all in a room and said " right! no one is allowed to talk about any of their problems" it would go silent lol.. not that there is anything wrong with sharing problems, as thats what forums like this are for and then theres that other saying. " a problem shared etc"

but a lot of the people Ive spoken too offline seem to feed off it and just want to tell you all the scary stuff., your right that most peoples experiences here are "not as bad as they thought" experiences, I'm sooo glad I found this place:) and I know I've probably said this a few times already but just knowing your not alone is a comforting thing in itself..

I duno if anyone has a myspace profile but if you do it would be cool to have you as freinds:)

Heres mine just in case.

http://www.myspace.com/starship13

:) M

Martin

#13 Post by Martin »

Hey Everyone.

Just a little update, I went to the docs today and mentioned I was a bit concerned about the pain issue during recovery, and the fact that it would be a weekend etc, so he gave me some co-codomol 30/500

I was just wondering if its safe to take 2 of these with a neurofen plus? or what combination of meds people found most beneficial, as different meds seem to target different parts of the body etc.

I also managed to pick up some Gengigel Mouthrinse as I read this is meant to speed up healing, but man that stuff is expensive,

I hope you've all had a good day:) been crazy weather day here today

Thanks

Martin

Smile:)

#14 Post by Smile:) »

Don't worry. I'm sure everything will be fine!

Martin

#15 Post by Martin »

Thank You!... and thank you for all the awesome answers, I'm just sitting here now kinda mulling things over and doing some consious breathing......I decided to have a good talk to myself and to my body and explained whats going on etc, and to release my teeth to the doc..

No more having to deal with low grade infections etc.

I still feel scared, but in a different way, and there is a greater sense of acceptance about things, and less anxiety.. It's always a challenge to walk through fears, but its a liberating experience and sometimes life changing too afterwards. I think I just want to be on the other side of it now and get back to doing the things I love instead of worrying

all of your replies have made a world of difference and truly helped, so Thank You..

I will stay tuned to this post and update it.

Have an awesome evening/day

M