Newly Braced - Pics

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lily

Newly Braced - Pics

#1 Post by Lily »

Hi everyone!
Well here is my story!

I've always had crooked teeth, I had plates when I was younger to try and expand my mouth to fit all my teeth neatly into my tiny tiny mouth! I hated wearing the plates, they rubbed on my gums and were forever being ground down at the Dentist to make them more comfortable, they impaired my speech a great deal and I basically never wore them, when I moved to the UK from Australia that was the final nail in the coffin for the poor old neglected plates!

Years later I moved back to Australia and my teeth were still far too crowded for my little mouth. I finally felt like enough was enough, I had a huge phobia of the Dentist due to my past unpleasant experience with the plates (being told off for not wearing them enough etc etc) but finally decided to rise above my fear and get myself to a new Dentist. The Dentist was very polite and didn't make any sort of negative comments regarding the fact that it had been about 8 years or so since I had been to the Dentist and said nothing about the fact I had neglected my teeth badly. I sort of figured they're crooked anyway why does it matter if they look bad seeing as I hide them!

He cleaned them up nicely for me, told me to get my X-Rays and gave me a referral to my Orthodontist. I got my X-Rays (lat ceph & OPG) and took myself back to the Dentist. I had one filling right at the back that I needed due to a horizontally impacted wisdom tooth pushing into it, but that would be done after my... EXTRACTIONS! The Dentist suspected 8 extractions including wisdoms but wanted confirmation from the Orthodontist first. The Dentist said he wouldn't perform the wisdom teeth extractions because they were impacted and quite close to the nerve, I was relieved (to say the least) that they could be done under a general anaesthetic.

I waited a few months, had my consultation with my Orthodontist, he confirmed what my Dentist had suspected that it was 8 teeth including wisdoms that had to be removed, he gave me a quote for treatment and sent me away to get my extractions and filling.

I had a 4 month wait to see my Oral Surgeon. When I did see him, I got my date for surgery 05/06, the date rolled around quickly. I was terrified of surgery and hospital but got through it all. I exited day surgery minus 4 wisdom teeth and minus 4 second pre-molars. After the local anaesthetic the Surgeon injected while I was under wore off I had zero pain whatsoever. Never once did I experience post extraction pain. I didn't have to have pain killers or anything. (I'm still amazed by that!)

After everything healed up it was back to the Dentist to get my filling done and a clean and fluoride. That was all done without any problems. Finally my brace day rolled around.. 07/08.

I have ceramic braces on top and metal on the bottom. I went into a bit of a black cloud after having them fitted, I felt too scared to eat anything because I didn't want food getting caught in them, for the first 3 days I ate nothing but soup and yoghurt because they seemed like the easiest foods to eat. My appetite got the better of me and I've since been tucking into more normal (and unhealthy foods) like pizza and hash browns! I tried some chocolate today and straight away freaked out about decay and staining of my teeth. The horror stories they show at the Orthodontist are kind of etched in my mind. I brush with an Ortho head on an Oral B electric brush and floss with normal floss (a time consuming venture) I think I need to chill out a little bit! I brush in the morning and at night but tend to just swill my mouth out with water at lunch time (I don't know if this is enough and if I should be brushing again.. The ortho sheet says I should after EVERY meal :oops:) I'm sort of not minding having braces now. I had a small ulcer at the back where the end of the wire (or a hook) was catching when I ate but that has now stopped and is nearly healed. I've got a nice new ulcer starting at the front where the wire that goes along where my extractions were is rubbing my cheek (I think I sleep on that side). I'm trying to get through it without wax! There's a whole load of pressure. The only time I'm feeling pain is if I accidentally bite together when I'm chewing, and when I try to floss between my two front teeth. I actually cried out in pain when I tried to floss between them tonight!

Here is my before picture

My bottom teeth are more or less straight with the exception of my right canine which sits lower than my other teeth. My top teeth are just far too crowded. basically all the teeth need to move back, and my lateral incisors need to come out.

I'll include my newly braced ones and pictures of the kit the Ortho gave me in the next couple of days when I can take some pictures out in the natural light.

Hope my story isn't too boring!!
Take care
Liz :rose:
Last edited by Lily on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crystalct1

#2 Post by crystalct1 »

Enjoy your braces!

Use the wax. That's what it's here for. It works great for me and I had the same thing you had - the wire poking me in the back when I ate or talked. I had to wait a day or two to get into the dentist, but the wax held me over. It would have been really cut up if I didn't use the wax

iamtheotherme

#3 Post by iamtheotherme »

Either you have incredible good luck or an incredible surgeon to breeze through those extractions like you did. :)

We have similar overlapping front teeth, left over right. I can hardly wait to see what mine look like when they're in their proper places.

Here's hoping for an uneventful, speedy journey!

real2

#4 Post by real2 »

I really enjoyed the thoroughness and detail of your story :D

I personally have a friend (he's a DJ) who has almost the exact same smile as you!

But luckily, you are doing the braces (hes a bit more self-conscious it seems) to get that straight 8-10 teeth smile!

Good luck on your journey n keep us up to date!! :D

lueyfufu

#5 Post by lueyfufu »

I second crystalct1 - use the wax! :) Maybe even just during the day. Then swish with salt water and go without wax at night. It might help toughen things up a bit but give you relief during the day.
Lower braces: 7/1/08
Expander installed: 7/8/08
SARPE: 7/15/08
First adjustment for lowers: 8/5/08
Expander tied: 8/11/08
Upper braces: 8/28/08
Lefort I & BSSO: 1/8/13

Lily

#6 Post by Lily »

Thanks for your replies everyone :D
I've finally given in tonight and popped some wax on after looking at my red raw ulcers on the inside of my bottom lip.
This might be a really strange question, but is there anything that can cause decay in orthodontic wax? Do I need to take it off after a certain amount of time and brush that spot to reduce bacteria?
I know it sounds silly but I've googled and searched on here and can't seem to find anything!
I know I said I'd post pictures, and I still will, I plan to do it this week when I get a chance, things are so hectic at the moment :)
Cheers
Liz

shinyRiver

#7 Post by shinyRiver »

We could be twins! I had eight extractions including impacted wisdoms, too.
And our smiles are so much alike!

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg30 ... 1855-1.jpg

It seems like we've got the same issues. I'm supposed to have my braces on for three years. Did your ortho give you an estimate?

Also, I've been using the wax on my upper right canine where wires are poking me. I change it every time I brush ( after every time I eat anything... who knows how long that will last... ) just in case. I really don't think it will hurt anything as long as you take it off and brush the area twice a day. My ortho said to brush at least twice a day but I just can't stand food in my teeth... it feels gross. So I'm a bit obsessive with the brushing at the moment, being newly braced and all. :D

Lily

#8 Post by Lily »

Hi Everyone
Well I had my first adjustment on Friday, it wasn't painful really but he certainly turned up the pressure!! He said I'd be a grumpy boots by the afternoon but not to call him because he'd be out of town! :lol:

He took off the springs attached between my two front teeth and canines and put stronger ones on. He said the first springs were to get me used to braces and now that I'm used to braces the new springs are going to get things moving quickly, which I'm more than happy with!
So the new bigger darker springs went in on top, they weren't straight like my last ones but a bit wiggly because they were squished in, so they're pushing everything back. I got some springs on the bottom too, which are pulling my teeth together to cover the extraction gap. I still think there's too much room on my lower arch because it wasn't really very crowded to begin with but I'm sure he knows what he's doing. I'm happy because the spring underneath the arch wire over my extraction site means that my 6 week ulcer is finally healing!!

He told me that the springs up top will balloon out from time to time and that I need to push them back in when that happens. When I push them back in I feel the pressure straight away.

I do have a concern though. My two front teeth used to sit side by side, straight and meeting from top to bottom. Since I got these new springs on my two front teeth are meeting at the top, but don't meet at the bottom anymore and there's quite a big 'diamond' shape if I rest my top and bottom teeth together. Is this going to cause problems?? My two front teeth look worse now than they did to start with!!

I'm sorry I haven't put pictures up yet. My battery is charging for my camera and I'll definitely put pics up from when I was first braced and pics after my recent adjustment in the next few days.

ETA shinyRiver - My ortho has estimated 18 - 24 months, on the paperwork they did for my insurance company they've written 18 months so I'll have to wait and see as it progresses! How are your braces treating you now? Hope you're not getting poked anymore!

Lily

#9 Post by Lily »

I finally have some pics to show!

How they were the night before surgery for my extractions

When the braces first went on

After the first or second adjustment

They looked about the same for awhile apart from the front two teeth adjusting to different heights and directions!

Now they look like this

I'm a bit concerned about the swollen gums around the right (left in the pic) front tooth, the Ortho doesn't seem too concerned though, just said to keep on getting right in there with the brush and that it's probably because the teeth are moving around so much in there.

I'm so glad to finally get those big coil springs from the front moved in at least a little bit!

Lily

#10 Post by Lily »

Had an adjustment today, the ortho says he's happy with the progress. The springs are gone!!!!! Woooohoooo!

He put a powerchain on the bottom that is a bit ouch but I'm sure it'll be fine in a few days.

Also saw my Dentist today, his estimation is another 6 - 12 months in braces. I'm happy with the progress in 6 months so can only imagine what they'll look like by then! It's a good braces day today :D

Rio UK

#11 Post by Rio UK »

wow your teeth are looking great!! :D
Invisalign upper teeth on July 16th 2008: 14 aligners.
Fixed brace bottom teeth 8th October 2008!

real2

#12 Post by real2 »

Wow.... :shock:

The improvement is absolutely amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing your comparisons 5 months from now :)

Totally different person :D

deville

#13 Post by deville »

Hi Lily, nice to see another southern hemispherian here (is that a word?)

Wow - that's some fantastic movement in your teeth - congratulations!