Could you sum up your experience?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

xTc

Could you sum up your experience?

#1 Post by xTc »

I think this would be a good thread to refer so people can see how others have found the experience of Linguals, as a whole.

So, how was it in the first week? How was your speech? How long until you forgot they were there and got used to them? Etc etc etc

Pics of before/midway/after would also be awesome :D

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Two weeks to get used to them (I had upper linguals only, regular on the bottom), speech pretty good by then, but 99% at about 6 weeks and thereafter ("s" sound was always the one to work on). I'd say I forgot about them after about 8 weeks, only issue was food getting stuck everywhere.

Sorry, I don't have pics.

Unhappy teeth

#3 Post by Unhappy teeth »

I have upper and lower linguals and I would say it took about 3-4 weeks for speech to be almost normal (even now S sometimes comes out lispy!) About 2 weeks for my tongue to get used to them and not feel sore.

Below are photos before and at 4 months (hopefully a third of the way into treatment):

Image Image

Jeannie

#4 Post by Jeannie »

I've had lower linguals fitted for one week and am getting upper linguals fitted in three weeks. Does there ever come a time when you are not thinking about them 24/7? I'm finding it hard to imagine 18 months constantly being aware of my mouth filled with metal. Very disheartening and bit scary at the moment.

Unhappy teeth

#5 Post by Unhappy teeth »

Apart from when I'm eating or brushing my teeth I rarely think about mine. They really don't bother me that much anymore. Once your tongue has got used to them, they are not such a big deal! :D

saps

#6 Post by saps »

Everyone is different.

Short summary of mine:

First week was BAD and I thought I'd made a BIG mistake (tongue was SHREDDED, couldn't eat because the pads were too high, etc, etc).

Unlike most people, I never completely got rid of the lisp (although it DID get better).

Saw rapid movement on teeth and thought it was neat how you can see it with these braces.

Had them on for 1.5 years now and have knocked off about 4-5 brackets total.

I never completely "forgot they were there" but it got much, much better over time.

Getting them off in a couple of weeks and will be very happy.

Never really had much problem with food (except pistachios)

The biggest thing I can say for the people who just got them is to hang in there. I was MISERABLE and kicking myself for the first couple of weeks but it gets soooo much better.

Jeannie

#7 Post by Jeannie »

Thanks Unhappy Teeth, it's reassuring to hear shared experiences. This whole thing would be easier if I knew more people in my social circle or at work who wore braces - maybe they do wear linguals and haven't told anyone like me!

It's been just over a week now and I'm finding I can eat fairly normally again. Just brushing after meals is such a pain, it's taking me about 20 minutes brushing, flossing, using interdentals, mouth washing and rewaxing. Does it get any faster? I'm worried about being thorough because of plaque build-up.

So glad I found this site!

saps

#8 Post by saps »

Jeannie,
I am not an expert but will tell you what I do for brushing, flossing, etc and it doesn't take 20 minutes (maybe 5).

First, brush as often as you can. Pay attention to behind the front teeth (that is my "trouble area").

I use something called Super Floss (it's a piece of floss with a threader already attached to the end and I got so where I could floss in no time at all). Do NOT try floss that is stranded (I can't remember what it's called) because it'll shred and get stuck EVERYWHERE. I love my water pick - it became my best friend. I also carry these things called "go betweens" (made by gums) and use them after I eat (if I can't clean my teeth). Listerine helps with tartar and plaque buildup (I use it morning and night). I also see my dentist every 4 months for cleanings.

So to sum up:
1. Flossing gets easier.
2. I love my water pick.
3. My trouble spot is right behind my front teeth.
4. Listerine.
5. More frequent dental visits.

This may or may not be right for you but I hope it helps!!!

Seriously, everything gets better as you get used to the new things in your mouth. Good luck to you!!!

Jeannie

#9 Post by Jeannie »

Those are great tips, thanks! I guess this will all start to make sense when I start to see changes in my teeth. I initially got the braces because my two front teeth overlap slightly, but my ortho says there is general crowding in both jaws and misaligned bite. I'm hoping my teeth move fairly quickly, I'm sure I can see gaps appearing in my lower jaw after just a week.

I guess it will all start to make sense after they've been in a few months.javascript:emoticon(':P')