Catfish's Journey - updated with pics 11-7-08 (page 5)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Miranbrady20

#31 Post by Miranbrady20 »

so i guess an extra 400 bucks for the half clear isnt really worth it after all! lol i hope my liips wont be TOO pouty lol

Chantal

Merci!

#32 Post by Chantal »

Thanks for your story! Wow. I can't even begin to think about periodontal disease! And yet, I know I have some gum issues, for when I will need implant. I will look into that later! It's only day 2 for me!

You have made great progress in little time and you have a great attitude. Inspiring! I actually think your teeth looked better than mine even before any work! Congrats on doing the best for your great smile! Isn't it great to be able to share our stories with others who go through the same thing!!!

catfish

#33 Post by catfish »

Hi Chantal, thanks for reading my story! Yes, this is a wonderful place to connect with other people who are going through the same thing. I'm sure my husband is happy that I don't unload all my concerns on him now that I found a place where people don't mind it!

Yeah, periodontal disease bites. It's so sneaky too. I had it for years before I realized it.

So I'm halfway through my projected "sentence". I have an adjustment next week and I'm curious to see what my ortho will do. My top teeth seem fine to me, but the bottom ones still need some work. I'm still waiting to hear if he wants to pull a tooth, too. So I hope to get an answer on that one pretty soon.
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

Chantal

Symptoms?

#34 Post by Chantal »

Curious: How do you have periodontal disease without knowing it? Any symptoms? No pain/problems?

catfish

#35 Post by catfish »

With hindsight, the signs for me were deep pockets that kept getting deeper, even though there was no bleeding or pain. My dentist at the time seemed to think the deepening pockets were odd, but since there was no bleeding he wasn't concerned about it. That's where things went wrong. So even with regular dental visits, the deep pockets were allowed to progress for years. It wasn't until I moved and found a good dentist that I learned what was going on. By then my lower front teeth had lost so much bone that they were wiggly. Heebie Jeebies!!

catfish

Catfish's Journey - pics added 8-18-08

#36 Post by catfish »

Well I went in for my adjustment today. As promised, he put in a new top archwire but left the bottom one. Here are some pics - I'm really excited about seeing my progress!

Top teeth before:

One year later:

Bottom teeth before:

7-1/2 months later:

Bite before:

Today (1 year for top, 7-1/2 months for bottom):

That protruding lower canine is starting to come into position! (Lower left in the pic.)

He put a funny little kink in the center of the top archwire. Does anyone know what that does? I didn't notice it until I left or I would have asked him.

He said I'm progressing very nicely and he's happy with the results so far. Music to my ears! He will take X-rays at my next visit (in 6 weeks) then send me to my dentist for a consult. He thinks that will be when they decide whether to pull one of my lower incisors.

jenny101101

#37 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi catfish,

Great pics! Your teeth are looking terrific!

As for the kink in the middle, I think it's to prevent the wire from sliding back and forth(somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

catfish

#38 Post by catfish »

Thanks Jenny! I'm very happy with the results so far.

I have a feeling there is a different purpose for that kink. I've had stops on the archwire before to keep it from sliding around too much, and they look different (pics on page 2). The other weird thing is that my ortho put the wire in, instead of the tech. The tech took the old wire out, then said something about the ortho coming over to shape the wire. I should have asked about it then, because that has not been the normal procedure so far. I think I will post this question on the metal mouth forum and see if anybody knows what it is. Otherwise, I guess I'll find out in 6 weeks when I go back. :)

iamtheotherme

#39 Post by iamtheotherme »

Very nice pix! They show your awesome progress off really well. Is that crown way in the back gold with a porcelain front? I'm considering that for a lower crown I need post-braces. How do you like it?

catfish

#40 Post by catfish »

Hi iamtheotherme. No, that crown was supposed to be porcelain. I didn't notice that it wasn't all white until I got braces and started really looking at my teeth! So I don't know why it looks like that.

BracedVeryLate

#41 Post by BracedVeryLate »

hi Catfish, your teeth are looking great - you must be pleased!!
I have a funny looking lower canine out of place, similar to your 'before' photos. I hope it gets in line!!

Miranbrady20

#42 Post by Miranbrady20 »

Amazing progress!!

LongInTheT

hi

#43 Post by LongInTheT »

hi, catfish, I've been reading your story. Your teeth are looking really good - you must be very pleased.

I was particularly interested in your story because it seemed similar to mine, as I have also had periodontal disease and it wasn't properly disgnosed for years. I didn't have any pain to alert me. It sounds, though, like you were particularly unlucky as you didn't have bleeding gums - mine did bleed but as they started bleeding when I was pregnant with my first child I very stupidly didn't think much of it - but then I was visiting the dentist twice a year and brushing my teeth 2-3 times every day (though not hard enough, I realise now..) so it didn't occur to me anything was going badly wrong - I just put my faith in the dental profession (um!). Anyway, I remember asking my dentist (now retired) why my teeth had moved so much and he just said 'Yr getting old'.

Without going into the whole story, just like you once I got a new dentist I started getting the proper treatment. I think my periodontist may have a different approach to yours as he really focuses on the root planing plus extractions. So I had the top and bottom gums planed once, then the bottom a second time, and 2 wisdom teeth out plus the 2 furthest back lower molars as well. I think you were really brave going through all the surgery as I think the root planing was bad enough - all those injections, and my stupid fear..

Hope the lower incisor extraction goes ok when it comes up - if your ortho and dentist decide to go for it.

catfish

#44 Post by catfish »

Hi LongInTheT, thanks for visiting my story!

I had the root planing done also, but my pockets were still too deep (6's and 7's), so I had to have the surgery. It's funny to hear that I was brave, because I didn't feel so brave. I didn't have any choice (other than losing my teeth), so I didn't exactly volunteer for the surgery. The shots weren't bad at all though. I had IV sedation, so I was half out before they numbed my mouth. I didn't feel a thing.

I'm sorry your story parallels mine so closely. Not the best thing to have in common, is it? But at least we can commiserate!

spinninglaura

#45 Post by spinninglaura »

hey catfish thought i would come read your story after you posted on mine!

The progress on your teeth are amazing. They look so good! how quick was the movement on your lower teeth? It seemed that they changed massively quickly.

Its funny that there i was complaning about having a tooth out and you have been through so much....!

How much longer do you need them on for?

Laura
p.s my brace day is oct 3rd so will have some good pics then!