Metal or Ceramic.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SGBraceMe

Metal or Ceramic.

#1 Post by SGBraceMe »

So I had my last meeting with my ortho today before surgery. 2 weeks after surgery (which is on 8/18 ) i get my braces put on. To say i have been dreading it is an understatement. But some good news (and turning out to be difficult) is that my ortho gave me options ::gasp!::. She told me that i could choose either Ceramic or Metal. It's going to be the same cost due to my insurance (yay!) but here are some of the pros and cons and i was wondering if some of you could weigh in on what you think. (let me know if there are other pros and cons i don't know about yet)

Metal: Pros, Move my teeth quicker, smaller in mouth, pretty colors (!); Cons, they are metal and more noticeable, they hurt more apparently

Ceramic: Pros: Less noticeable, less painful in mouth; Cons: Bulkier in mouth, move teeth slower, "slippery" (according to my ortho)

Both should give the same result but which will be better?!?! Sometimes choices are good other times they just make me more confused. Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Stef

Read my blog!:
http://bracingmyself.tumblr.com
Last edited by SGBraceMe on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

I've had metal for 2 years.. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go for ceramic(and a different ortho, but thats another story).

Bracefacegal

#3 Post by Bracefacegal »

I have upper ceramic and lower metal.

I notice no difference between the two except for the fact that the ceramic are less noticable on the teeth.
It's never too late to fix your smile! :)

Bracefacegal

#4 Post by Bracefacegal »

Oops, double post.
It's never too late to fix your smile! :)

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

I had ceramics but they would not stay on due to the make up of my enamel (rare but not totally unheard of). After a year they were switched to metal. I find the metal much more comfortable than the ceramics. I guess you have to decide appearance or comfort. As it is, I don't think today's metals look nearly as bad as the metals that were in common use ten years ago.

I do not regret having metal instead of ceramics. I just wish I'd started out with metal. Oh yes, I would not change my ortho. I would my job, but that's another story. :lol:

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

BracedVeryLate

#6 Post by BracedVeryLate »

hi, i have gold metal uppers and lowers. when i saw all four models of the teeth with braces, i just picked the smallest ones! i am a pain wimp!!

i drink one cup of coffee in the morning, and i just can't give it up, so i wasn't sure about the ceramic or the clear brackets and staining. i would have liked the top 6 (or in my case, 5) teeth done in something less shiny.

but, i think people are going to notice your braces (and not care about them) regardless of what kind they are.

dagwoman

#7 Post by dagwoman »

I'm really glad that I have ceramics on top. Even though people can see them, they're barely visible in photos, so when I look back on this time, they won't be so obvious!

GiovanntiLawing

#8 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

I have ceramic! I love them! I wish ceramics were offered back in the day when I had metals the first time!

Id say go for Ceramics! They dont cost that much I dont think. I live in NYC and people tend to charge outrageous prices for some strange reason...Id say go for it if you want to go unnoticable!
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!

landela

#9 Post by landela »

I was going to get ceramics, but when I got to the ortho I asked which ones they thought were more comfortable. One of the assistants had ceramics uppers and metal lowers, and she said she liekd the metal more. Also, another assistant said ceramics can be more difficult to remove because they can break. And they have white boards in the hall that patients can write on when they finish there treatment and a lot of people had written to get metal brackets. So, I went with metal and I've been happy with them so far.
Laynie

Braced - April 24, 2008
Last adjustment - December 16, 2008
Trangle elastics - August 26 - Current (only at night from 11/11/2008 - Current)
Treatment end date - January 28, 2009

Click link to read my braces story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 532#258532 - Updated 11/11/2008 with pictures

abcdebbie

#10 Post by abcdebbie »

I too have ceramics on top and metal on bottom. The ceramics are bigger but less noticable. I HATE the metal ones! They are sharp and are cutting into my lip and cheeks. My lower teeth are rather small and there is no way the ceramics would fit on my teeth. I just don't get why they seem so sharp to me!!!
(O\_l_/O)
Debbie

[/url]

Maverick

#11 Post by Maverick »

Neither. Sapphire! (Inspire ICE), if that's an option for you.

I have them and think they're great. Esthetically they are better than ceramic, no problems with removal, Sapphire is harder than metal.
There should be no difference in treatment time between bracket types.

I have metal (Titanium Orthos) on the bottom. They are definitely rougher on the insides of the mouth, but it's not that bad.

Thathrill

#12 Post by Thathrill »

I have ceramic uppers and bottoms. I love how they aren't noticeable. And ceramic doesn't stain. People are always saying how good they look or how they never notice my braces. I smiled proudly in photos and they are difficult to see. Never really had a problem with chafing.

With that the major con for me is brackets popped off as my teeth are fairly slippery. In 15 months I have lost about 9-10. I would say half of them were my fault while the others were random. Although, I will say in the last 6 months, ive only lost 2. I have friends who have had ceramics and said they never had this problem.

Also metal and ceramic braces will move teeth at about the same rate.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

platinum

#13 Post by platinum »

Ceramics are better!!!

I had a job interview and I was happy not to look like a teenager. In my opinion ceramics look more "mature".