Cold Sores

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lueyfufu

Cold Sores

#1 Post by lueyfufu »

Anybody else here get cold sores? (Or fever blisters, as some people call them.) I started getting one on my top lip this morning, and I'm sure it won't make Monday's ortho appointment any more fun.

Have you ever rescheduled an ortho appointment because of a cold sore?
Lower braces: 7/1/08
Expander installed: 7/8/08
SARPE: 7/15/08
First adjustment for lowers: 8/5/08
Expander tied: 8/11/08
Upper braces: 8/28/08
Lefort I & BSSO: 1/8/13

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Yeah, I get them. In fact, when I had braces it was amazing how often I'd get them leading up to an adjustment. I never rescheduled though.

funshine

#3 Post by funshine »

The best thing ever for cold sores is jojoba oil. As soon as I feel that tingle I dab some on and it stops it from forming.

GiovanntiLawing

#4 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

Wash your mouth out with salt water, but never cancel an adjustment appt because of a cold sore. They are expected! Good luck!
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!

lueyfufu

#5 Post by lueyfufu »

I'll have to try that sometime, funshine. I've been using Abreva, and it seems to work pretty well as long as I catch the cold sore before the blisters start. It didn't make this one go away completely, but I think it stopped it getting bigger. Where would a person find jojoba oil?

funshine

#6 Post by funshine »

You can find it at any health food or vitamin store. You can get a small bottle for about $5 and it lasts forever. Hope it helps you!

Lola

#7 Post by Lola »

Get Compeed patches. You just stick one over the coldsore and it stops hurting! Apparently the sore hurt because of air movements so covering it stops it. Also they stop the sore drying up and cracking so you should be able to open your mouth without cracking your lip open!

mygrill

Re: Cold Sores

#8 Post by mygrill »

lueyfufu wrote:Anybody else here get cold sores? (Or fever blisters, as some people call them.) I started getting one on my top lip this morning, and I'm sure it won't make Monday's ortho appointment any more fun.

Have you ever rescheduled an ortho appointment because of a cold sore?
Yeah I get them too. They are horrible! I've gotten them more often now since I got the braces on. I don't get just one good one though...i get tiny blisters on my top lip....i am going to try that jojoba oil

platinum

#9 Post by platinum »

If the cold sores are caused by Herpes virus, you can ask from your doctor a description for some pills that heal them pretty fast. My friend has herpes and she got those tablets and herpes was gone pretty fast.
Those tablets are quite expensive though.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#10 Post by blindboarder2008 »

I tend to get cold sores after i've been sick, its weird, but it never fails. I haven't really got cold sores, since i've had braces, its been canker sores more so. I've been using the blistex canker sore stuff and it seems to work like a charm!! I've never cancelled an apt just cuz i have a canker sore, just i made sure i put the stuff on it if it was bothering me before hand and it worked out just fine.

LIke everyone has said, sores are to be expected when you have braces!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

lueyfufu

#11 Post by lueyfufu »

Yeah, I don't think I'd cancel because of a canker sore. But since cold sores are right on the lips, and usually an appointment involves stretching the lips (and sometimes smashing if the ortho isn't careful), I can just imagine what torture that would be.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#12 Post by blindboarder2008 »

oh man having a cold sore would be bad enough, that be so painful if they smashed around your mouth during an apt. ohhhhhh man just the thought of that sends shivers down my back!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

KARESS

#13 Post by KARESS »

Ive had a cold sore twice so far
once when I was like 4 and another one last year

Last year I thought it was an itch bump so i popped it
OMG it made millions of bumps on top of bumps it was gross
i learned my lesson not to ever pop one again.
If i feel that Im going to get one or I see a bump around my mouth
I put abreva on it before it has a chance to grow and it stops it the same day.

Banded: January. 18th, 2007
De-Banding: Nov. 6th, 2008!
& Nov. 13th, 2008 ; pics soon.

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer

Julie08

Cold Sore

#14 Post by Julie08 »

Ask your regular doctor for a prescription for Valtrex. It is a little expensive, but you don't have to take them every day - just when you think you may be getting a cold sore - it will prevent them from appearing at all (more effective than Abreva). For that matter, your ortho may be able to prescribe it.