Retainer - Embarressing problem!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tractorgirl

Retainer - Embarressing problem!

#1 Post by tractorgirl »

Hi all!
I had to have some new retainers made (The plastic see through ones). I went 10 nights without them, and I got them sent to me yesterday. They look great. When I put the top ones on they were very tight, not uncomfortable just really tight. When I came to take them off they were stuck - literally. It took me over 20 minutes to finally pull them free! What do I do? Im scared to put them back on incase I cant get them off again.
Any suggestions would be greatfully welcome. lol.
Thanks guys.

Hannah x

SGBraceMe

#2 Post by SGBraceMe »

I would call your orthodontist! That sounds not fun at all. I am still in the very beginning of my treatment so i don't have too much first hand experience (especially with retainers) but it sounds like maybe the measurements were off by the tiniest bit.

The worst that could happen is your doctor says its supposed to be like that but at least you'd know and your teeth won't move back from not wearing it (i'd be afraid to put them back in too!).

I hope that helps a little. Good luck!

http://bracingmyself.tumblr.com

tractorgirl

#3 Post by tractorgirl »

Thanks for your reply :-)

There is no way I can put it back in, I had a try earlier, it is just too tight, there is no way I can get it off, without using something to pick it up abit, and then that hurts my gums.

What a nightmare. lol

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Surely the office gave you instructions on how to remove your retainers?

I have similar retainers. The easiest way to remove them is to edge them off from the back on either side first leaving the middle section til last to move. Try that and see how you go.

tractorgirl

#5 Post by tractorgirl »

Yes, but I have had retainers for over a year so I know how to remove them and put them in. These are new ones, as the others got too worn down.

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

I find that I need to RELAX my mouth and lips before trying to get them out by wiggling up first near the 1st molars then the bicuspids. Sometimes in the morning my essix retainers are difficult to get off, but eventually I found that I if I relaxed the jaw, mouth and lips, it was much easier. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007