August Surgery Dates

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tortor

August Surgery Dates

#1 Post by tortor »

I think its time to start an August surgery date thread for those (like me) who will have had to wait most of the summer for their surgery (I just want to get it over with!) and will probably have to go back to school wired shut :(

But on a brighter note...after months and months and many more months of waiting, my surgery is almost here! Today is exactly a month until my Lefort I single piece and BSSO. I'm really starting to get nervous. July 10th I go to the orthodontist for final molds, July 22nd I go to my OS office for my big consultation!, and July 25th I go to the hospital for my pre-surgery tests. August 5th is the big day!

Start those countdowns August people!

ema27

#2 Post by ema27 »

i was thinking about starting a thread like this-you beat me to it.... :D I guess i will be the first( or one of the first) to get there surgery done as mine is august 1 st.I am having BSSO and genio
Couldnt have come at a worst time for me -my two big appointments in july clash with my kids sports day and the the kids parents evening :(
The kids will be off school when i have the surgery so the house will be madness when i dont necessarily want it like that...oh and my parents are on holiday so my other half wont get any help with the kids...
Saying that though at least by the time september comes and the kids go back i am hoping to look relatively normal...
bring it on... :dance:

mannab271

#3 Post by mannab271 »

I'm August 12th....

I'm having a Lefort I and a BSSO, my OS is moving my bottom jaw forward about 8 mm forward and then about 2mm to the left and then my top jaw is getting moved foward about 2mm and then to the right 2 mm and also he is widening the back area of the uppers so my molars will touch once the bite is perfected.

14 days...I'm counting...

sec9

#4 Post by sec9 »

August 6th, Got my pre op appointment in about an hour.
"If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scenes, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines"

chipmunkcheeks

nice group!

#5 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

hey aug group!

before you know it your surgeries will be over and you will be headed to recovery and a new face for the rest of your life! i know how you feel about wanting to get it over with...i was there not that long ago.

it looks like everyone is somewhat similar in their procedures. make sure you stay connected, these are really the only people who truly know what you are going through...though my aunt was nice about trying to relate it to her face lift...awwwwwww.

congrats, you are almost there!

Thathrill

#6 Post by Thathrill »

wow its almost august! for me I was working crazy hours up until surgery day so the time flew by. Im happy to just get it all over with. keep us posted on your outcomes and good luck with everything
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

tortor

Re: nice group!

#7 Post by tortor »

chipmunkcheeks wrote:hey aug group!

before you know it your surgeries will be over and you will be headed to recovery and a new face for the rest of your life! i know how you feel about wanting to get it over with...i was there not that long ago.

it looks like everyone is somewhat similar in their procedures. make sure you stay connected, these are really the only people who truly know what you are going through...though my aunt was nice about trying to relate it to her face lift...awwwwwww.

congrats, you are almost there!
aw thanks chipmunkcheeks for the support and advice! My surgery is a week from today and i am FREAKING OUT.

Months ago, when the surgery wasnt much of a reality and i still had a long wait, I was very excited, always daydreaming about what my nice new bite would be like and what I would look like. But now that it is very much a reality, I'm really starting to worry about the recovery and being wired shut. But I have to keep reminding myself that this surgery is really what I want and its something Ive been waiting for for a long time. I also have to maintain a positive attitude and remmember that things will only get better from the time I wake up after my procedure.

Easier said than done i'm sure but seeing that many others on this board have gone through this same surgery, survived, and had great results has helped me better prepare for all thats ahead of me.

dittoxtina

august

#8 Post by dittoxtina »

hey! i just came across this website, i think its great and very helpful for us who have a million questions!!! lol

well im having surgery aug 26th, seems soo far away but really close at the same time. im having upper and lower jaw surgery and also having chin reduction. im going tomorrow for a consultion and their going over evrything with me, so far i was told i have to give blood two weeks before surgery, thats the easy part.

but i have a few questions and if anyone can help please do!!

1. what if i have to throw up while my mouth is wired or banded? (this scares me most!)

2. will i be able to breathe fine if my nose is clogged?

3. how long should i take off work? i told my job 6 weeks..is that good?

thanks in advance.. IM SOOO SCARED!!! LOL :)

Emaciated

Re: august

#9 Post by Emaciated »

dittoxtina wrote:1. what if i have to throw up while my mouth is wired or banded? (this scares me most!)
Its very unlikely you'll throw up. They give you lots of medication to counter that. But if you do, then you'll throw up and it will come out your nose and the sides of your mouth. It will suck and be unpleasant but you'll be fine and will get over it. You will not choke to death and you will not suffocate. You'll just puke and then rinse out your mouth with water and suction.
2. will i be able to breathe fine if my nose is clogged?
I don't know if I'd use "fine" as the word to describe your breathing but yes, you'll BE fine, even if you're congested. They give you lots of meds and sprays to keep your nose open. Many people find it easy to breath through their mouth even while banded shut. I was unable to breath through my mouth at all but was still ok breathing through a very congested nose. I'm still here to talk about it so obviously survived.
3. how long should i take off work? i told my job 6 weeks..is that good?
Yea, I think 6 weeks is a perfect amount of time. I took 4 and would've liked 1 or 2 more. I have friends who went back after 2 and 3 weeks and wish they would've taken more.
IM SOOO SCARED!!! LOL :)
It IS scary, terrifying actually, but exciting! You'll be through it in no time.

ema27

#10 Post by ema27 »

So i am officially the first to get mine done out of us august groups-arent i lucky...LOL!!!
I had my pre assessment to other day where i was told exactly what they are doing and prepared me for what i will be like afterwards.I will be having my jaw moved forward approx 6mm(which doesnt seem much as to me my overbite is huge...)and they will move it up 3mm.I am having genio also which should approve my jimmy hill chin that the surgery will give me... :wink:
The nurse was very helpful in telling me what will happen when i wake up .I will have 2 tubes on my neck to drain excess fluid,i will have the tube up my nose,a drip in my arm and i will have a catheter fitted once im asleep(.lucky me... :) These will stay in for 24 hours as apparently i wont have the energy to pee, or eat...
Yesterday i had my surgical hooks put in-5 on the top and 5 on the bottom-no big deal but i can tell they are there..was given wax but i dont think i will need it..
Cant believe i am having surgery in 4 days....
Sec9- how did your pre op appointment go?
tortor- hows things still freaking out...tell me about it i am freaking out too...

ema27

#11 Post by ema27 »

did i say 4 days...i meant 3 ... :D
check out my blog on http://emaslowerjawsurgery.blogspot.com

mannab271

CATHETHER?

#12 Post by mannab271 »

ema27 wrote: The nurse was very helpful in telling me what will happen when i wake up .I will have 2 tubes on my neck to drain excess fluid,i will have the tube up my nose,a drip in my arm and i will have a catheter fitted once im asleep(.lucky me... :) These will stay in for 24 hours as apparently i wont have the energy to pee, or eat...
CATHETHER?????????? NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT A CATHETER!!! ????

YIKES!! I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THAT!!

chipmunkcheeks

catheter

#13 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

i had one, too! they put it in when i was alseep, so i didnt care about that, and i was awake when they took it out, but i think the drugs they gave me when i woke up didnt allow me to really feel it coming out, otherwise she was just a really good nurse cuz it wasnt an issue coming out...though, i felt the same way...i didnt sign up for that...just skeevy to think somone was in my cha cha and i wasnt around for it...yuck! but i got through it, think of that as a very minor hurdle in all of this...gotta do, what you gotta do...

edinburger

#14 Post by edinburger »

One more here - after 2 years in braces I'm up for surgery on August 6th. 3-segment Le Fort I on top and a 'whatever-the-normal-op-is' on the lower jaw to correct an open bite (~8mm) and slightly expand the upper arch. Got a bit of a cold in the last day or so...taking lots of vitamin C to clear it before the big day. Will post an update once I'm on the other side :-)

dittoxtina

#15 Post by dittoxtina »

me again!

i just got back form the doctor today and he gave me a paper on what hes going to be doing, now some of what hes doing may change because he hasnt took molds and more xrays (which will then tell him EXACTLY what he'll be doing the day of surgery). but if anyone one can help me on the "lingo" he used...

whats lefort I osteotomy mean? i tried looking it up.. :)