HELP!

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Megan11

HELP!

#1 Post by Megan11 »

Hey everyone, I've been reading the boards for a while now, but this is my first post.

I need some advice...and I'll try to make it as qucik as possible. I am 20 yrs old and I had a perfect smile until I was 17. I didn't know it but my canines were babys and the adult ones started to come in behind them. The baby canines are NOT loose at all what so ever. I have seen two orthodontics about Ibraces.

#1. Said, he would prefer not to do it but he recommended a second opinion.

#2. Had no problem with doing it but he also has never done them before on anyone.

Here is what my teeth look like:

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any Advice?

Megan11

#2 Post by Megan11 »

well thats reassuring...

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

I think expecting a reply within the space of little over an hour is a bit optimistic.

That said, I didn't have a similar problem to yours. I would also be wary of going to someone who has no experience with linguals.

There's no harm in getting a third opinion.

melissac

#4 Post by melissac »

First off, I think expecting a reply in two days isn't overly optimistic.

If you really want linguals, I would get a third opinion. If you go to the ibraces website (lingualcare.com), you'll be able to find a doctor in your state. You definitely want a guy that knows what he's doing, that way you can be happy with your treatment in the end and know for sure if linguals are the way to go.

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Oops - ready July 8, not 6. My apologies megan11.

Jay Tea

#6 Post by Jay Tea »

I think get another opinion. If costs are a worry then call the place up first and try to find out as much as you can about their service over the phone then book an appointment

sonja

#7 Post by sonja »

my Ortho didnt want me to get linguals either, he said they are slower and harder and with an obvious higher cost... he has done them heaps before and was the only Ortho in Perth that can do them.. i eventually talked him into it.
its now been nearly 3 months with them on and although I had an awful time in the beginning I am fine with them now.. infact they said my teeth are moving so fast I will most likely have them on for at least 6 months less than they thought..

I was in a similar teeth situation too you.. my eye teeth were also babies with one adult behind it like yours are and the other one was impacted in my gums still.. I had them both removed the babies too..
I didn’t really want to that I felt it was quite extreme but we will see what happens in the end…….. I think by removing them that’s what is making the others move so fast…

Megan11

#8 Post by Megan11 »

sonja wrote:my Ortho didnt want me to get linguals either, he said they are slower and harder and with an obvious higher cost... he has done them heaps before and was the only Ortho in Perth that can do them.. i eventually talked him into it.
its now been nearly 3 months with them on and although I had an awful time in the beginning I am fine with them now.. infact they said my teeth are moving so fast I will most likely have them on for at least 6 months less than they thought..

I was in a similar teeth situation too you.. my eye teeth were also babies with one adult behind it like yours are and the other one was impacted in my gums still.. I had them both removed the babies too..
I didn’t really want to that I felt it was quite extreme but we will see what happens in the end…….. I think by removing them that’s what is making the others move so fast…
Wow, thanks so much. It is nice to know I'm not alone. Sometime I felt like I was the only one in the world that had this happen to their teeth. Thats interesting that you had both canines removed. So are they just closing the gap between the teeth that are left and right of the canines?

Yeah I am having doubts because my teeth are in such a complicated situation. I here linguals are hard enough as is, let alone all thats going on in my mouth. And "lucky" for me I just found out I have to wait a whole year longer!!!!!

Sonja do you have any pictures of your progress this far? And how is your speech now?

sonja

#9 Post by sonja »

Hi, well i am going for a tightening this week and i am going to ask for my photos, i havent taken any myself even though i thought i would..i will post them once i have them..
why do you have to wait another whole year????

i am totally happy with my linguals, its the best decision i have made, my speach isnt perfect and i doubt it ever will be but is has come a long way from the first week and i feel ok about it now..
the worst part now is the poky wires!! the drive me nuts... i have one now and cant wait until my next appointment to get it cut, my tongue is feeling it badly and the wax just keeps coming off.. its annoying having to completely wax up each night but its a small price to pay i suppose.....

as for the removals,,,, yeah it was a tough decision. but what he is going to do, is reshape the molars to look like canines and yeah move everything over... Apparently this is fairly common and he has shown my pictures of other people he has done it too and they look completely normal..

Megan11

#10 Post by Megan11 »

Well I initially had to wait a year because I just got insurance and they said it would be a "pre-existing condition" blah blah anyways I'm going to be 20 in November and it expires when you turn 20 anyways so they just wanted my money it seems like...ekk I hate insurance.

So I'm just going to pay for my braces without insurance.

And the last ortho I saw, who seemed to be the best, thought that I would be MISERABLE in linguals because of those teeth in the palate.

So now I am back at square 1. I don't know what the hell to do anymore. I'm thinking I just need to suck it up and quit being shallow and just do the damon brackets...and not smile for 9 months. :(

Jay Tea

#11 Post by Jay Tea »

I think that you should get braces before the insurance falls out. If your treatment time will be 9 months then go for damons if it is around 2 years then maybe linguals would be a great option. I have got ibraces and they are great.

Megan11

#12 Post by Megan11 »

My problem is that my insurance never kicked in to begin with, because of the whole waiting period ( I just got insurance a couple months ago).

So I might do Damon for 6 months invisalign from there on out.

I am just having money issues because I had financially planned it all out thinking I would have help from insurance.

loopyloo

#13 Post by loopyloo »

Megan, I think you should find out what the treatment will entail - i.e. removals, duration etc. I really think it will be majorly, majorly uncomfortable to have lingual brackets on teeth that are set so far into your mouth like that.

Jay Tea

#14 Post by Jay Tea »

if it is not more expensive to go the damon invisagline combination and it wont take longer in time then go with that, otherwise if it is a lot more expensive and treatment time may take longer i think just stick it out for the 9 months with the damons.

Samuel Harris

ARGHHH :(

#15 Post by Samuel Harris »

Hi all, im new to this message board.. iv been thinking about getting Lingual Braces I have been doing a lot of research, and this message board is probably the best for getting information on those braces. I've just came back from my dentist today, I was going there expecting her to recommend a removable brace, but she didnt even mention it, she only told me about the normal traintracks on the outside of the teeth, and of course Lingual Braces.

My teeth arnt too bad, my friends say theres nothing wrong with them, they say I have a great smile and white teeth. But me being me, I know the faults. one of the 'fangs' is slightly out of place on the left, and the tooth next to the two front teeth sticks out a bit also. It looks as if both of them need to be pulled in, and the three teeth inbetween need to be pushed out (only slightly) and obviously, straightened. All in all, it makes my smile look awkward, and id LOVE to have a perfect smile..

Im a very self concious person as it is, so it was either a removable brace or Lingual. When I mentioned a removable brace, she told me that it probably wasnt best for this situation, and that it might not work and even if it did, it would take longer than Lingual braces. For the whole day iv been researching, trying to make my mind up, in the long-run I know it'll be worth it, but I dont know how far i'd go.. researching has probably made me even more confused and paranoid about getting anything done at all..

Anyway, long story short, I REALLY need you to tell me your experiances with Lingual Braces, if its worth it and the pros and cons. Main things im worrying about is if my teeth get worse (GAPS) if i'll have a big continuous problem with speech (LISPS) and the pain that ill be going through, and last but not least, if its worth it. Again, my teeth arnt that bad, I really dont want to ruin them or make them worse. I dont want to do anything ill regret :(

Sorry this message is long, you can tell im very worried about this haha, I just hope some of you can help me :(