Memran's story... [its not so bad, I guess..]

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Memran

Memran's story... [its not so bad, I guess..]

#1 Post by Memran »

It seems like most people have started their own braces story, so I though I'd share mine too :)

I hate dentists!
A long time ago, in a town far, far way (oh man..), and shortly after I'd grown all of my permanant teeth, and lost all of my baby teeth, I was going for a regular check up at my local dentist. All was going well, no fillings, no work needed doing, then he said it, "Your teeth are getting crowded, you're going to need braces." :shocked:

I remember distinctly how my mind turned to think about all those unlucky kids at school, who recieved regular bullying and name-calling due to their orthodontic woes. Not me!

Although I was only 14 at the time, I resolutely decided that he was wrong. He MUST be wrong.

That was the last time I visited a dentist for fifteen years. :oops:

A great figure or physique is nice, but it's self-confidence that makes someone really sexy - Vivica Fox
Having decided that I'd had enough of dentists, I just went on with my life. Continued playing my trumpet, and generally everything was fine.

Gradually, I began to notice my teeth more and more. I started not wanting to smile or laugh openly. By the time I was out of school, I don't think there was a single photograph which showed me smiling with visible teeth. Any that I discovered were quickly stolen, and destroyed! I wished I'd got them fixed years ago!

This continued throughout my time at university, and into my career.

I somehow managed to get myself a girlfriend, and things were going great for a few months. But one day I overheard her talking to her friends about me. More specifically about my teeth, and how it made her feel. I'm not going to go into too many details here, but I almost cried. Shortly after that, I broke up with her. :cry:

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
I guess I was on the rebound, or something, when I decided that I'd have a big blast around the town, and get drunk, get a girl, everything would be fine. I did that and found someone who was just as drunk as I was. Maybe she'd seen too many horror movies, maybe it was the drink talking, but she seemed convinced that I could not venture out into the sunlight! Thats right, I kid you not! She thought I was a vampire! :evil:

It was the last straw for me; it was time to take action!
Last edited by Memran on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:42 am, edited 7 times in total.
Upper brace on 23rd June 2008
Lower brace on 27th August 2008
Expected treatment time: 30 months :shock:
Braces removed on 6th June 2010
My Braces Story!

Memran

#2 Post by Memran »

Don't find fault, find a remedy - Henry Ford
Once I'd decided to do something about my teeth, it suddenly hit me that I REALLY wanted to do something about my teeth. I can't really explain it, but I just knew it was what I wanted.

I first set out to find myself a dentist. Not an easy task, since almost every one I went to in my area were not taking new patients. I did find one in the end though. It was a relatively new practice, and had very recently reopened their doors to new patients. I quickly signed up, and mad an appointment for a checkup.

Even after 15 years of not visiting a dentist, my teeth were in good shape, except for the 'shape' of them :P

I explained that I'd not visited a dentist for 15 years, and she asked me why. I answered honestly, "Because he told me I needed braces.", then she asked, "and why have you come to see me?", to which I replied, honestly, "Because I need braces."

They were very helpful, and gave me a list of all local orthodintic practices - all two of them.

He who brings good news knocks hardest
I arranged a consultation with the first ortho on the list, and he told be plenty of things I didn't want tohear, and a few that I did.

I don't need surgery. I do need extractions. :shock:
Despite the fact that all my teeth were in good condition, there simply wasn't enough room for them all, and thats the reason for the wonkeyness.

Here's some pics:
Guess which tooth I hated most!

Lower central insisor, only just in the gum and bone.

Just not enough room!

I also had xrays taken, and to my horror, ALL of my wisdoms are impacted!

Look at the lower ones!

Fortunately I was told my the ortho, that if they're not causing problems they can be left where they are. This was later confirmed by my dentist.
My Braces Story!

Memran

#3 Post by Memran »

I don't want extractions!
I was told that extractions are needed to make room.
The two upper premolars would have to come out, and the lower central incisor should come out, because it is likely to cause problems in later life.

Suddenly I wasn't so sure I wanted to go through with this.

I arranged to see the other ortho on the list, and unfortunately he told me the same thing :cry:

I need this like a hole in the head!
Eventually, after a few more weeks of thinking it over, I went back to the first ortho, and told him I wanted to go ahead. Having finally decided, it was like a weight had been lifted off me :wink:

So I take his extraction referral letter to my dentist and make an appointment to get it done. The gave me me two.

I've got to be honest, I was pretty scared about having teeth pulled out, but I still turned up to my first appointment.

It was NOT quite as simple a procedure as most people were saying though.

I was very nervous to begin with when I arrived at the dentist, and it was made a little worse by them running behind schedule, so I had that little buit of extra time to listen to that aweful drill, or whatever it is, being used on other people.

Then its my turn.

I go in, and recieve the injections of anesthetic, and waited 5 mins. Next thing I know, my nice lady dentist was no longer there, but was suddenly replaced by a very large guy who I had seen going in and out of the other rooms earlier.

Anyway, he did all the usual dentist stuff, 'open', 'bite', poke poke, open. then he produced this mean-looking thing and grabbed one of my teeth with it. He started pulling, HARD. He was a big guy and hes arm was really trembling!

Next thing I hear a very loud SNAP, followed by a grunt of some word I didn't quite catch. I realised that the tooth had broken off, and so it was time to dig for the root! He was digging for what seemed like an hour, but was only 10 minutes.

'Ok', he says, then proceeds to pull the other side. And guess what? ... SNAP! :cry:

The following week I had the lower incisor pulled, and it was pretty uneventful, much to my releif! :D
My Braces Story!

Memran

#4 Post by Memran »

Brace day!
While waiting for my turn I was surprised to see two other adults there for treatment, and that made me feel a whole lot better.

The procedure itself took not more than 20 minutes, and was not at all unpleasant. But I only had uppers put on. Apparently my top teeth would hit the lower brackets, so he's going to move them a bit before I get the lowers put on.

Here's some pics!

Better looking than metal I think :) Not TOO noticable from 200 meters away :roll:

Some large canyons to fill in! :shock:

Not sure if you can tell from this, but the two teeth next to the extraction site have little concave bits from where the tooth was.

Hmm.. sorry I should have shaved first :oops:
My Braces Story!

Memran

#5 Post by Memran »

No pain, no gain!
SO...

My story is now pretty much up to date.

I'm now into my third full day of braces, and I have no pain, just a mild ache when chewing or when I press on my teeth. :D I've not had to use any wax yet, or take pain killers and I have not had to change my diet one bit! Overall, I'm quite pleased :)

On fairly major downside is that I can no longer play my trumpet! :cry: I cannot create a decent embouchure since I am only braced on top, and the pressure from trying to play hurts pretty bad...

I'll just have to keep trying each day.
My Braces Story!

lueyfufu

#6 Post by lueyfufu »

Welcome! Doesn't it feel great to be on your way to getting rid of that vampire look? :) I'll be officially bracketed (lowers only at first) on Tuesday. I can't wait to lose the fangs!

I'm a clarinet player, so I feel your pain. Maybe this would be a good time to take up percussion or the cello. :wink:

Have you wondered how your embouchure will change after the braces come off? I'm hoping proper teeth will make me a better player. :)

callmeswtmisery

#7 Post by callmeswtmisery »

Hello Memran,

First off I would like to say welcome to the brace club!!! :dance:

How are your braces treating you?

Miranbrady20

#8 Post by Miranbrady20 »

CONGRATS on the new braces!!! your story is very moving!... i too regret not getting braces when i was little but here i am! good luck with your journey!

*melissa*

#9 Post by *melissa* »

Hello Memran! Welcome to our little braces club & congrats on finally being braced!! Hooray! :D
I really enjoyed reading your story and look forward to reading future updates :D

Memran

#10 Post by Memran »

Hey all :)
Thanks for taking the time to reply :D

lueyfufu, it really does feel good to be on my way to something I've wanted for so long. I have considered the possibility that my embouchure could be better when I'm finished, I truely hope it is, but to be honest, even if its not, its a small price to pay for my increased self esteem :)

callmeswtmisery, so far I have no issues with them ay all, I'm eating what I want (within reason) and have very little pain :D

XXNECRAXX and *melissa*, thanks. Glad you liked the read :) I did try to make it entertaining, even though the story at the beginning was a little depressing.

I'll post updates as soon as something interesting happens :D

So far I've not seen any of my friends or work colleagues since getting braced, so the first time i see them, could be a little challenging. :roll:
My Braces Story!

Memran

#11 Post by Memran »

I've just noticed my appointment for my first adjustment. Its on 27th August! That makes it 9 weeks. Isn't that a bit longer than normal? I thought most people have 4-6 week adjustments?
My Braces Story!

jenny101101

#12 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi Memran,

Welcome to the club!! :-)o Your braces look terrific! I'm glad to hear you're doing so well with them.

As for 9 weeks until your next appt., that's the norm for self-ligating brackets. I see you have ligs so 4-6 weeks is closer to the norm for that kind but I'm thinking, since your ortho wants to get those uppers moved out more, that's why your time frame is so long. Are you getting your lowers on at your next appt? I had my uppers put on and then 6 weeks later had my lowers on. I'm in the same boat with my upper teeth hitting my lower brackets so I have a molar build up on one molar on the right side. Any mention of getting one from your ortho?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your journal so far. I look forward to more interesting posts!! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

*melissa*

#13 Post by *melissa* »

Memran wrote:I've just noticed my appointment for my first adjustment. Its on 27th August! That makes it 9 weeks. Isn't that a bit longer than normal? I thought most people have 4-6 week adjustments?
thats sooner than mine! LOL...mine isnt until Sept 2nd, thats almost 11 weeks between adjustments! ahh..thats soo long...think ill call and ask whats going on! usually its every 7 weeks...hmm

*melissa*

#14 Post by *melissa* »

double post :oops:

Memran

#15 Post by Memran »

Thanks jenny101101! I'm pretty pleased with how they look too. Not as in-your-face as I imagined :)

There was talk of molar build-ups or spacers (or something) but he said they tend to be pretty unconfortable, and since there is much more crowding on the top than the bottom, getting the lower arch braced later should not effect my treatment time. From what I've read on here, spacers and molar build-ups are like the spawn of Satan! :twisted:

Yea, good idea *melissa*, I'll call my ortho on Monday and ask too :)

I've noticed that my teeth have started 'clicking' when I bite down or push them with my tongue. I hope thats a good sign. :) I've not noticed any movement yet though. Maybe its too soon?

Rob
My Braces Story!