crackling sounds...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LN

crackling sounds...

#1 Post by LN »

Hey...I have recently started doing this "thing" with my teeth and wondering if I am the only one doing it or is it a common "thing" that you all do too. What is this "thing" you ask? Well..I find myself biting down or clenching my teeth and hearing crackling sounds when I do it. The funny thing is I can't stop doing it cause it feels kind of good. Am I doing harm to my teeth and one day soon will crumble and fall out?? If there is anyone out there that have experienced this, please share with me.

I am 3 months plus into my treatment.

Best,
LN :D

catfish

#2 Post by catfish »

I don't know if this is the same thing, but sometimes when I bite I hear and feel a slight "crunch" that seems to be my teeth moving. It seems to feel better after I do it, like it relieved some pressure. I don't know what is actually happening to cause that noise and sensation, but it seems like it has to do with the roots of my teeth readjusting to their new positions.

So I can't answer your question about harming your teeth, since I'm only speculating about what is going on. This would be a good question to ask our orthos.
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

SnowSara

#3 Post by SnowSara »

Hahaha, I still do this sometimes when I put my essix retainers in at night! Sometimes (not every time) there's a bit of a crackle as the teeth all line back up where they're supposed to be after a long day of freedom. And it feels sooo good.
When I had braces I would find a tooth every so often that would "click" and I couldn't stop messing with it once I'd discovered it.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

markGl

#4 Post by markGl »

lol its good to know this happened to you actually, because it happened to me all the time. and i freaked and posted.... it stopped when i decided to leave well enough alone.. no worrys its just your teeth moving..

Neptune

#5 Post by Neptune »

I'm really glad this question was asked. Brackets were attached to my molars last Tuesday, and it took a week before I could really bite down without scrunching my face up in pain. Now that the pain has subsided, I can definitely hear the crunching/cracking sound if I bite a certain way. As it's rather disconcerting, I'm glad that it appears to be a common phenomenon in the orthodontics process.
08 Apr 2008 - Front teeth braced.
30 Aug 2010 - New bracket brand placed on upper four incisors.

Initial Ortho Sentence: 18-20 months.

abcdebbie

#6 Post by abcdebbie »

I too am glad you posted this! I just keep telling myself, "It's OK, it's OK!"
(O\_l_/O)
Debbie

[/url]

crystalct1

#7 Post by crystalct1 »

I heard that too when I first got mine on. I had three crowded molars on the top right that kind of zig-zagged in and out to fit. When he was putting on my wire he said that it was difficult to get in at that spot and warned me that my aching would probably start right there.

Well he was right, and I also noticed the crackling sound when I bit down over there. I never asked about it, I assumed it was the sound of the stress of the bonding or cement and bracket pulling at the tooth as I bit down.

Well, now that side doesn't even hurt anymore, the crackling has stopped, and I had to go the dentist to have my wired trimmed in the back only two days after getting my braces. He said the teeth had already moved.

I think the sound we all are hearing is the sound of the brackets and bonding pulling on your tooth while you bite down sending it a different direction. Should go away when the tooth moves into a better position.

GiovanntiLawing

#8 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

HAHAHA! I am so glad someone brought this up!

I do the same thing, but its like I hear it more than I can feel it...If that makes sense!
WoW, that just really made my day!
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!