Nikki's Braces Story ~3 1/2 Month Photos~

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OhNicole

Nikki's Braces Story ~3 1/2 Month Photos~

#1 Post by OhNicole »

~Nikki's Braces Story~

Hello everyone! :D I started a blog separate form this site for my story but I decided I don't feel so comfortable with it being out there for the world to see... I'd rather it was here just for the AW community! I'll start at the beginning, and as a note for the future I'll try to keep this first entry updated as a table of contents of sorts so you can pop in here and see what's been added without having to slog through everything :wink:

TABLE OF CONTENTS
*Page 1: Introduction, Consultation, Schedule, Before Photos
*Page 2: Spacers Appointment
*Page 4: Brace Day
*Page 6: Week 1 photos
*Page 7: Week 3 photos
*Page 8: Extraction photos
*Page 9: One month photos, Week 6 photos
*Page 10: 3 1/2 Month photos - added 10/1

INTRODUCTION: THE BACKSTORY

I introduced myself over on The Bracket Club but for those who haven't met me yet HI! *waves* My name is Nikki, I'm 21 and I finally made the decision to get braces. It's taken me a long time to get here.

Let me try to tell you what's going on in my mouth. When I was a kid my adult eye-teeth, or upper cuspids, came in above my baby ones. My dentist pulled the baby teeth to make room for the new ones but they are still pretty prominent. My upper left central overlaps my upper right central by a couple mm. My lower laterals are behind both my lower centrals and lower cuspids on both sides. I also have a Class II Malocclusion. I still have all of my wisdom teeth and once every few months my teeth start to ache from the crowding. (I'll put before photos in the next post.)

Needless to say, growing up my dentist always told me I needed braces but my parents just couldn't afford it. Fast forward to my last dentist visit before I was too old to be covered by my mom's insurance: he mentioned braces again and planted a little seed in my head. It was until a year later but that little seed started to whisper in my head maybe it's time to consider this. I'll be honest, that seed was whispering in my head because I'd just had a bad break-up and wanted to do something for myself. I had my records visit with the leading local orthodontist, Dr. Moore, scheduled my consult for two weeks later and then chickened out. That was July 2005.

Fast forward again to August 2007: time to elect my health insurance plan at my new job. Orthodontics, 50% coverage. Here came that seed whispering in my head again how about now? I talked to my co-workers, I talked to my parents, I talked to my (new and wonderful) boyfriend and everyone said to do it. So before I could back out I signed up for health insurance. The problem? I had from August 2007 to January 2008 to think about it. Oh, believe me I changed my mind a hundred times. What matters though is that come May I was back in Dr. Moore's chair and I had my mind made up. BRACES BRACES YAY!

THE CONSULTATION

June 2nd was my consultation with Dr. Moore. He was as chipper as ever, immediately putting me at ease and making me laugh even though I was so nervous. He reiterated that this is a difficult adult case. Technically speaking and to be on the safe side I should have jaw surgery (they would need to extend my lower jaw) and headgear 24/7 for the next two years. However he is a kind, wonderful man :D and knows that I just couldn't go that route. My procedure will be full braces, extraction of the upper 1st bicuspids and the lower 2nd bicuspids, jasper jumpers and then possibly headgear at night when it's all done or forever retainer. I had never heard of a jasper jumper before so let me explain it the way I understand: when my teeth are pulled my braces will already be on so that they are in control and my mouth doesn't collapse. What needs to happen is my top front teeth need to move back but the wisdom teeth must stay where they are. The jasper jumpers will in effect be an anchor, pitting my lower teeth against my uppers. I was told it will be a little bulky in my cheeks - I'm picturing Marlon Brando in The Godfather.

I tried to have good questions for him; will it take longer than usual, what kind of pain should I expect, am I sacrificing anything by not having the surgery and headgear, are you confident that this will work, etc. I came away from that visit just as confident, if not more so than I was before. I spoke at length with his receptionist/accountant about my options and they are going to be very flexible for me; basically, my payments will be $175-$200 for the next 18 months.

MY APPOINTMENT SCHEDULE: THE COMING ATTRACTIONS

June 2: consultation
June 10: seperators
June 18: BRACE DAY!
July 10: extractions @ 9:30am, adjustment @ 3:00pm
July 14: my birthday! :wink:
August 11: first adjustment
September ?: second adjustment
November 4: third adjustment
Last edited by OhNicole on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 11 times in total.
~Nikki~
23 year old brace face and proud of it!

My story is well under way! Follow along in my thread.

OhNicole

#2 Post by OhNicole »

HALL OF SHAME: THE BEFORE PHOTOS

Image Image

Front view, at rest (uppers covering lowers) and slightly open.

Image Image

Weird angles in my bottom and top arch.

Quite the overbite, yes?
~Nikki~

braces4astw22

#3 Post by braces4astw22 »

I posted on your other one but I just thought I would say hello again :D I am getting a new bottom expander on the 10th when you get your spacers..

spacers are annoying.. I had to wear them for a week they really bothered me, im not sure that they are worse than braces because my braces are bothering me just as bad lol but hopefully they wont be too bad for you! Let us know how it goes!
Shannon - being braced at age 29

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

You have wonderfully white teeth. They will look even better after treatment! The bicuspid extractions are easy, it just seems worse in theory than in actuality. I am happy I went the extraction route and do not regret my decision. Kudos for you on actually getting back into the chair and starting this wonderful smile changing process.
Last edited by Miss Smiley on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

OhNicole

#5 Post by OhNicole »

Shannon: Thanks for saying hello over here :wink: The assistant at my ortho told me spacers seem to be the worst part for everybody, so I hope I'm prepared. I've already bought Sensodyne and some super strength Aleve or Tylenol or something to be ready for next week.

Miss Smiley: Thank you! My dental hygenist commented that they are, "a nice natural tooth color." I take that to mean that they aren't quite white but not yellow :-* I've read a lot about extractions and am trying to prepare myself for that too. I knew some teeth would have to go so I had no trouble agreeing to that.

12 days till BRACE DAY!
~Nikki~

*melissa*

#6 Post by *melissa* »

Hiya Nicole!! Wanted to welcome you to our little community, it's great to have you!!
Thanks for the comments on my blog!! :D
Sounds like were alot alike in many ways... I, too, had a seed planted in my head about getting braces...and it whispered to me soo many times throughout the years.
I am soo happy to finally be braced. I am so proud of myself for actually going through with it. It's only been about 3 months and my teeth have changed soooo much!

I just love looking at everyones progress pictures. Everyone on here has such amazing stories.
Well, I look forward to following along with you through your braces journey too!!! :D

OhNicole

#7 Post by OhNicole »

So a little under two weeks 'till Brace Day and I'm starting to have dreams about them! Of course there was the nightmare where I missed my appointment (ACK!), and then last night I had one where I couldn't chew m&ms but I missed them so much that I just let them melt in my mouth. I want my braces NOW!

Melissa: Aren't you so glad you finally decided to do it? I remember as a kid thinking "if there was anything I could change it would be my teeth". Did I really think it just wasn't an option?? I'm so happy that I get to do this for myself now! Can't wait to have some awesome progress to show everyone 8) Oh, and if I miss it Happy Birthday!
~Nikki~

Audra

#8 Post by Audra »

Hi Nikki,

I understand your being anxious for brace day. I am too!

Your teeth are really white and are nicely shaped. When they are aligned properly, they are going to look stunning!

I look forward to following your progress and going on this journey with you (our time frames are similar).

Audra

OhNicole

#9 Post by OhNicole »

Hi Ken and Audra: Thanks for stopping by! After being so scared to do this for so long it's amazing how optimistic I am about it now. I am going to see awesome results and I know it! Besides, anything will be better than what I have goin on now :lol: June 18!!! It feels like time is just CREEPING along now... but only a couple more days until my spacers appointment!

I have to tell a funny story about the conversation I had with my dad last night. My dad got braces on in his teens (the 60's :-*) and had them off again after a month or so. He said the pain was unbearable. He's 100% supportive of me doing this but I've known all along he will tease me and give me a hard time about it - that's just what he does. So anyhow I was explaining to my mom about the spacers and dad turns to me and says, "Ohhh that's gonna hurt like h*ll! And then wait until they start pounding things in with a hammer!" I said, "What do you mean?" And he says, "To get the things around your teeth. They have to get in there with a hammer and just POUND on you!" And I said, "Nope, they don't do that anymore! They just glue the brackets to the front of your teeth now." He looked quite surprised at this and, not wanting to be bested, said, "Well wait until they start cranking on your teeth! It'll hurt like h*ll!" and he made a turning motion with his hands, as in 'tightening'. I said, "Nope, they don't do that anymore either! The wire is temperature sensitive and does all the work." He considered this for a moment and then said, "Ya, well... it'll still hurt like h*ll!" Haha dad, I win!
~Nikki~

jenny101101

#10 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi Nikki,

Welcome!! :-)o Haha, good story...glad you "won"! :wink:

Oh, and don't worry, you'll be able to eat M&M's after being braced for a while. I think I attempted them a few weeks after being braced but my teeth were still too sensitive. I re-tried about a month in and I was fine. Just chew a little slower so you don't break off a bracket or bend a wire. I don't know what I'd do without M&M's! YUM!! :heart:
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

KLC

#11 Post by KLC »

I am so excited to follow your journey through this. Hopefully I will just be about a month behind you. And it sounds like you've got very supportive friends, boyfriend and family (yes, even though your dad will make fun of you- lol!). And just think, you'll still have the majority of your 20's with a FABULOUS smile!

I am in my early 30's and I sooo wish I had done this 10 years ago! Anyone else out there who can agree with me? Lol!

OhNicole

#12 Post by OhNicole »

Jenny: Thanks! And, phew, so glad to hear about m&ms!

KLC: Thanks for stopping by! I too am excited to get going on this! I truly do have a supportive bunch of people backing me up. The funny thing is in the past couple years I actually used them as an excuse not to get braced, thinking everyone would make fun of me. Boy was I wrong! If I had gone through with this three years ago could have gone through ALL of my 20's with a fabulous smile, but I'll settle for six or seven years :mrgreen:

How is June 18th still over a week away? Gah!
~Nikki~

OhNicole

#13 Post by OhNicole »

Hi Ken! :dance: Sorry to make you relive those unpleasant memories! At least you can say you toughed it out though - my dad was a big baby and had em taken off. Now if I could get a picture of his teeth you'd see exactly where mine come from - mom's are PERFECT! I am thankful that I get the relatively easy route compared to what you guys had to go through. We must work on a good joke then, for you working in a steel mill. Hm....

So spacers go in tomorrow! Even though I know it will be painful I'm pretty excited because I'll be one step closer. I've already stocked up my medicine cabinet with extra strength pain reliever :roll:
~Nikki~

KLC

#14 Post by KLC »

I totally understand! I keep telling people I am swearing off guys for the next 18-20 months for fear that I will meet someone and not go through with it- lol!! Glad you have found someone ahead of time who is backing you up 100%

KLC

#15 Post by KLC »

I totally understand! I keep telling people I am swearing off guys for the next 18-20 months for fear that I will meet someone and not go through with it- lol!! Glad you have found someone ahead of time who is backing you up 100%