are braces that bad??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CactusZAF

#16 Post by CactusZAF »

I'd sure like to see the contestants of these shows invited back a few years down the line to see how many truly benefited from their "make over".I also wonder how many would actually still have gone through with it knowing all the long term pitfalls of the procedures they are subjected to on these shows.
Mostly it's sad to note how superficial the general public is considering how many people watch and believe that the participants are actually being helped in reality by what is done to them on the shows, really sad!

Nancy51

#17 Post by Nancy51 »

I don't imagine that these shows counsel the participants/patients about the long-term implications of this quick fix. And that annoys me. But what really boggles my mind is that I am left wondering if the cosmetic dentists are up front about it either. I am sure there are some great ones out there who sit down and explain the pros and cons. But I am becoming equally convinced that there are others who are perfectly happy just to take the money.
(Meryaten) [Emphasis added.]

I'll be there are salivating personal injury lawyers thinking the same thing. cha-ching! cha-ching!
Nancy

iBorg

#18 Post by iBorg »

Braces are only as bad as you want them to be.

With that being aid a couple of different viewpoints. My wife has veneers. Her mom took medicine while pregnant (tetracycline I believe) that resulted in her having stained teeth. Veneers made sense in my wife's case.

I had a dentist who wanted to bond all my visible teeth. Fortunately, an office worker, who had become a friend, told me that within three years the way I grind my teeth, I'd need repairs to the bonding. I went with orthodontics to minimize grinding problems. The cost was about the same.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

PARR

#19 Post by PARR »

I'm sure that for some cases veneers are a good thing. But to ruin healthy teeth for a quick fix is insane. Also, veneers are not cheaper than orthodontics nor do they last a lifetime and will need to be redone. Most orthodontics is more or less good for the duration if one follows good retention protocols. (yes there are exceptions)

iBorg

#20 Post by iBorg »

I'm not offended that Meryaten. I totally agree with you. Too many cosmetic dentists are selling "instant orthodontics." I relate it to placing new tires on a car that is so rusted out, your feet fall through the floor. Veneers and bonding are not a good cure for bad teeth. It may be a quick fix but its not a long lasting solution.

Still, I can not say all bonding and veneers are wrong. In some cases it is a good treatment plan, much like tooth extraction is in some orthodontic cases.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

shoezy

Re: are braces that bad??

#21 Post by shoezy »

suetemi wrote:Sheesh. It's funny how I can get so worked up over dental/ortho issues as an adult in braces. I was just watching some makeover show where a woman opted to have 'instant orthodontics' instead of braces. It was frustrating because all that was wrong with her teeth was an overjet and some spacing issues (two gaps maybe 4-5 mm between upper cuspids and premolars), all of which were pretty mild and easily fixable. She could have probably done Invisalign if she was that self-conscious about braces. Her teeth were very healthy looking and white too. But the cosmetic dentist the show hooked her up with shaved all her natural teeth down to pegs and put a bunch of veneers on. I was pretty much yelling at the television (the fam thinks I'm insane) "what? you can't ruin natural, healthy teeth just because you don't want to wear braces! helloooo??" I mean, you only have one crack at having natural healthy teeth and to ruin them for cosmetic reasons just for instant satisfaction seems ridiculous.

:roll: Sorry, end of rant. Really, are braces so bad that it's worth sacrificing your natural teeth? No...!!!

Hello suetemi,
I second that... 8)

-S

----------
braces on: Feb 2005
braces off: Nov 2008

kittymeow84

#22 Post by kittymeow84 »

The worst I have seen was on America's Next Top Model where a girl had a "snaggle tooth" like many of us on the boards. The particular tooth was an upper canine.

The solution?
Rip it out and put veneers on to cover the gap.

WHO RIPS OUT A CANINE???? Aren't they the most important teeth in your mouth? I felt so sorry for the poor girl who had been pressured into this quick fix which I'm sure could only result in problems later on in life. :cry:
Clickies on the "WWW" to see my braces story :)

MsViola

#23 Post by MsViola »

Kitty: I saw that episode. She looked miserable. If memory serves me right she won that season???????????
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months