Chewing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Luella

Chewing

#1 Post by Luella »

Hello all, I wanted to post about a little issue I'm having. I seem to be unable to chew my food very well- I keep choking myself! I guess I just need to slow down and chew more before I swallow... but its really irritating how long it takes me to eat nowadays! Anyone else have this issue?
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

jenny101101

#2 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi Luella,

Yes! I found it very hard for the first few weeks to really chew my food and was practically swallowing it whole. I think this is fairly common as I've seen quite a few posts about it. Just give yourself time. You'll get used to what's comfortable and your teeth won't be as sore in a few weeks but keep chewing...it helps with the bloodflow.
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

MsViola

#3 Post by MsViola »

I had to smile when I read your post :lol: I still have that problem everytime I think I am a big girl of 16 months and don't cut up my food into small pieces.

Nothing like choking in front of your co-workers :oops: to bring me back to reality.

I guess we will have to accept that it will take us longer to chew and it is not a good idea to swallow half chewed food :D

Good luck!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

Luella

#4 Post by Luella »

I think this whole "mindless chewing and swallowing" thing that I'm doing is half of my weight problem! LOL I need to slow my whole eating process down! If any of you watched "I can make you thin" on TLC a couple of months ago, the host guy was very concerned with people eating with zero distractions, chewing their food like 25 times, and to STOP eating when you even thought that you might be full. I should really really do what he says- I think it would totally help me with this issue!
~ Luella ~

tammers1010

#5 Post by tammers1010 »

Thank you Luella for making me feel normal again. This made me laugh b/c I can so relate. I've had braces for 4 days now, and spent my holiday weekend looking like an idiot eating. At a toddler birthday party, my cousin asked me what I was doing, while cutting a burger into itty bitty pieces, then I choked b/c it hurt to chew the itty bitty pieces. Classy. Yesterday, while at a baby shower, my friends just stared at me while it took me 10 minutes to cut up the appetizers of taco dip wrap, and spinich dip wrap. Once I cut these up, I could revel in food for the first time in 3 days. Both wraps were cream cheese or sour cream based. Sad thing is, it still hurt to eat.Thankfully, I'm taking shredded chicken salad for lunch and a yogurt.
BTW, are their any brace newbies who have dribbled drinks down themselves? I find that fun in a room full of people. This has caused me to become inventive--as now drink coffee thru a straw so as not to ruin my clothing.
I think this whole braces thing, could be a new revolutionary weight loss program. It has drastically changed my eating habits, 90% of the crap I usually eat is gone. One bad thing i've learned is that fluffy, moist cake is incredibly easy to eat with braces.
Tammers

Luella

#6 Post by Luella »

Tammers- I can totally relate!!! I'm glad I made you feel normal lol!
~ Luella ~

catfish

#7 Post by catfish »

I have trouble chewing off and on, and it seems to be for two different reasons. Right after an adjustment, my teeth will be so sore that it hurts to chew, so that's one problem.

The other problem is that as my treatment progresses, my teeth move quite a bit. Sometimes they move to where my back teeth barely touch, or don't touch at all. That's the worst problem, because I can't chew no matter how hard I try! Mashed potatoes are my friend...

(It WILL be worth it in the end... It WILL be worth it in the end... It WILL be worth it in the end... )

:BigTeethGrin:
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#8 Post by blindboarder2008 »

Meryaten wrote:A word of advice for tender teeth: consider taking a dose of your favourite over the counter pain reliever maybe a half hour before meals when your teeth are sore. That makes it easier to chew with those teeth, and the sooner you chew the sooner it will actually stop hurting.
meryaten: that is actually a very brilliant idea, I never would have even thought of that until you said that.
I tend to druel alot for the first few days after getting an adjustment then i don't seem to druel as much. I also find myself druling alot when i sleep on my stomach which is definetly fun waking up to a wet pillow sheet. ah the joys of having braces, but like everyone else has said, it will be well worth it in the end!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

sita143

#9 Post by sita143 »

I just got my bottom braces on today. My back molars are so turned inwards from my impacted wisdom teeth (removed last week) that I'm literally biting down on the brackets. I'm afraid to chew. It takes me forever to eat. I'm not sore at all though.

Katt

#10 Post by Katt »

I laughed when I read this because when I first got my braces I remember posting about drueling. I would druel like crazy, and choking I can't count the number of times my husband has had to come "save the day" lol slowing down helped out a bunch although I'm not very good at the cut it up because I am so darn impatient that by the time I get that done I don't want it anymore lol.. I just stick to protein shakes instead when I have sore teeth.

TigerLily

#11 Post by TigerLily »

Soup's good when your teeth are too sore to bite. I make asparagus soup and put little bits of chicken in for a bit of protein.

I know what someone said about cake...very easy to eat :wink:

TigerLily

#12 Post by TigerLily »

Agreed. Better to get on with chewing!

I go on a soft food diet for a day or two after adjustment, but then get on chewing. Though never taken pain medication...just got very annoyed sometimes!

artroxu

#13 Post by artroxu »

By your ticker it looks like you've had your braces for less than two weeks, so that is really common. It will take you rediculous amounts of time to eat at first (first 2-3 weeks). Then slowly you will have less and less pain and your mouth will get use to the braces and you will speed up a bit. But you probably won't be able to eat quite as fast as you did before the braces untill they come off. Its just part of the ride. Consider it a blessing. Most ppl eat way too fast anyways.

married2abuckeye

#14 Post by married2abuckeye »

I remember thinking (before I got my braces) that they might help facilitate losing a bit of weight by limiting my food intake, until I got them and realized that the easiest things to eat were not too healthy (i.e. milkshakes, cake, etc.). I also remember day 1 I tried to eat Tater Tots, but my teeth hurt so much I had to squeeze out the insides of the Tots 'cause I couldn't chew them! :oops: Tater Tots! Not exactly the most intimidating food.

Believe me, it does get way better! My latest vice is licorice - probably not on my Ortho's list of good things to eat w/braces...
Follow my metal-mouthed journey here

tammers1010

#15 Post by tammers1010 »

Just an update chewing is getting easier :D , but I still feel a bit trepidatious when advancing to tougher foods that actually require me to chew well.

Forcing myself to chew, rather than just swallow, has really seemed to help the choking and the soreness on the back teeth a bit, that is after the pain of eating, brushing or flossing wears off. I still have severely sensitive teeth, but everyone keeps assuring me it is normal. I just want to feel confident eating normal food again. Now, I just need to get rid of the soreness on those front teeth. They seem more fragile with food.

For those of you that drool, I'm having the same issues. Drool slips out occasionally after I drink too. Thankfully none of my coworkers have noticed, but sadly my students did, after I stupidly choked myself on water. :oops:

BTW, I've found I have a new found appreciation for yogurt, soft serve ice-cream (minus the cone--sniff sniff), applesauce, and corned beef hash....
Tammers