Ready to turn in 'OVERBITE' Memebership Card

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MsViola

Ready to turn in 'OVERBITE' Memebership Card

#1 Post by MsViola »

I have had an overbite all of my life. However, when the Ortho stated it was (10mm) I started thinking of myself as "bucky the beaver". I really didn't focus on my teeth until I got braces. Today I notice everyone who has a overbite and mentally compare them to myself.

Now that I have seen improvement I can't wait to turn in my membership card for the "Overbite Club".

Does anyone else feel the way I do???
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Definitely! My overjet was 8mm when I started out, although it was kind of camouflaged by the fact that my front teeth slanted inwards a bit. Once they were all straightened out, it went to 10mm like yours, and has been that for about a year now.

I'm more than ready to trade in my membership card :lol:

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

I had thirty years where my teeth were angled to minimize my overbite. With them straighten out, I can't believe how difficult it is to eat.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

MsViola

#4 Post by MsViola »

Iborg: Why did you go from ceramics to all metal?

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

For some reason the ceramics wouldn't stay on. I had one bracket redone it least five times in less than a year. When I went for an adjustment and three of the things popped off I was ready to change. While some may think ceramics look better, if they won't stay on what good are they, mouth jewelry? Dr. P said they have one patient in about five hundred that there's something with their enamel that prevents the glue from holding well.

It must have worked as I've been all metal for since September without a loose bracket.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

MsViola

#6 Post by MsViola »

Wow, I have only had one pop off and it was on a crown. I asked about all metal and he "strongly" advised against it. The clear brackets are "cute" and are nearly invisible on my top teeth, but I wear bright powerchains now so it doesn't even matter. :-#)

MsViola

#7 Post by MsViola »

One more :?: Iborg:

Why were you given a bite plate? I think one of the consults I got suggested a bite plate. However, the other 2 did not recommend it.

iBorg

#8 Post by iBorg »

I have the bite plate for two purposes. To open up my bite as well as prevent damage from grinding. I'm on my fourth one so far and they always bring a laugh at my ortho's office when she looks at the grind marks.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

MsViola

#9 Post by MsViola »

Wow! I was grinding and clenching when I got them, but I stopped after about 6 months. My jaw and neck feel better now. :jump:

Jessiemae

Re: Ready to turn in 'OVERBITE' Memebership Card

#10 Post by Jessiemae »

MsViola wrote:I have had an overbite all of my life. However, when the Ortho stated it was (10mm) I started thinking of myself as "bucky the beaver". I really didn't focus on my teeth until I got braces. Today I notice everyone who has a overbite and mentally compare them to myself.

Now that I have seen improvement I can't wait to turn in my membership card for the "Overbite Club".

Does anyone else feel the way I do???
ROTFL!!! :-*

I too, have been thinking to myself "IT'S TIME THE QUIT THE BUCKTOOTH CLUB!!!!!" :D

I have an overbite of 11 mm!!! 1 dime is a mm in width, so you can put 11 dimes between my uppers and lowers!

I've been called every name in the book, when I was younger...and still don't look at preteen kids the same way; I know how mean they are, and that's sad.

But anyway...it's gonna be a long and painful journey, since I must have surgery to corret the overjet, but I can see my whole life about to change, though I know I won't change that much inside :)

:thumbsup: :jump:

MsViola

#11 Post by MsViola »

Jessiemae: How long is your sentence and what will the surgery do for you??

I never liked my teeth before but I didn't dwell on them. Now that I am on my way to having teeth I thought I would never get.........I can't wait to have my teeth "unbucked" :-9

It will be a time to celebrate :banana: :banana:

YRhino

#12 Post by YRhino »

I'm not sure how large my overbite is but it looks pretty significant to my untrained eye. My ortho said that in the first 7 weeks of having braces my overbite has actually gotten worse because I'm playing with my teeth with my tongue. Has this happened to anyone else?

MsViola

#13 Post by MsViola »

Yrhino: Goodness!! That is a bummer! :Questions: What did he suggest you do to keep it from happening? Are your teeth loose enough that you can actually push them forward with your teeth?

Good luck with keeping that tongue still :D !

Jessiemae

#14 Post by Jessiemae »

MsViola wrote:Jessiemae: How long is your sentence and what will the surgery do for you??

I never liked my teeth before but I didn't dwell on them. Now that I am on my way to having teeth I thought I would never get.........I can't wait to have my teeth "unbucked" :-9

It will be a time to celebrate :banana: :banana:
The ortho says like 26 months or more :( So I'd better get started. In about a year or so he says I will need to decide wheher to get lower-jaw surgery. At first when an ortho recommendeed it I figured it was b/c they were in cahoots, but I've had two docs recommend, but it's my decision. I estimate that the braces will only eliminate a few mm of the gap, so I probably will opt for the surgery. Most ppl have a small overbite, but if mine's like 6mm or more after treatment...Im going in. I guess they are going to cut my lower jaw and pull it out, I haven't talked to a maxillofacial surgeon yet. It won't be fun...will it be worth it?? That remains to be seen; I think so :)

MsViola

#15 Post by MsViola »

Again wow! I was truamatized over making a decision about whether or not to have 2 pre-molars pulled to "make room". I finally decided to do it and I am glad that is behind me.

I am sure you will make the right decision. Go with your "gut"' instincts. Only you know how important it is for you.