About assistant changing ligature

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PigletInIowa

About assistant changing ligature

#1 Post by PigletInIowa »

I have ceramic braces on my top teeth and the clear ligature stained badly after eating curry. So I had to call my ortho’s office for a ligature change. My ortho was out of office that day, so the dental assistant changed my ligature. I just got my braces on for about 5 weeks and have a thin wire. The way she changed it was to take off all the old ligatures first, then put on the new ones one by one starting from one side. My questions are: Do assistants usually change the ligatures without knowing the treatment plan? Or where the teeth move all depend on the wire, not the way the ligatures are put on? Will this ligature change affect my treatment progress? I’m kind of frustrated now since I haven’t been able to see any visible movement of my teeth. I just hope the ligature change will not set me back more on my schedule.
Any information about these will help!
Thanks a lot!
Sarah

PigletInIowa

#2 Post by PigletInIowa »

Wow, Meryaten, I'm really amazed to see how much you know about all these braces things!!! You are like a live reference book for all my questions!!! Thank you so much for posting answers so quickly! That really put me to ease a lot! It's been a tough month for me because all the uncomfortable changes in my mouth and it was just hard for me not to think about it for even a second:( I was trying to use my work to drown out the anxiety about all the issues with braces, but I still can’t help but searching the internet every night, however, rarely find the straight answers except in here. My next adjustment (in 2 weeks) seems so far away and I just have so many questions I can’t wait to find out the answers. How did you get used to the braces and get through all the days and nights, not to think about it? I was also trying to take pictures, but it seems to be very hard to have the exactly same angle for comparison. So eventually I end up with the conclusion that my teeth didn’t really move:( Now I’m just counting on the days until my next adjustment…

Sarah

Jill52

#3 Post by Jill52 »

Hi PigletInIowa, I've been in braces for exactly two months now. I noticed lots of movement the first month and this last month I was convinced nothing was happening. I've got photos from two weeks and six weeks in braces on my computer. Finally, this evening in frustration, I sat down at my computer with a mirror and pulled up the pictures. I looked carefully from each photo to my mirror image. And I noticed quite a bit of movement that I hadn't noticed before. I also find it difficult to get the exact same angle for comparison, so I just take lots. But it really encouraged me tonight to study them and see that I was mistaken. The movement is happening, albeit slowly. So hang in there, stay positive, and good luck with the next adjustment.

MsViola

#4 Post by MsViola »

Welcome and good luck!!!

I agree with the rest of the group. You probably have made more progress than you think. Hang in there!!! At first movement came quickly and now has slowed considerably but I was warned. As long as it continues I am happy.

The assistants in my Ortho's office always do the changing of ligs, powerchains, wire ties, etc. after recieving instructions from the doctor. I have been in many times between appointments for powerchain changes and the assistants did it all. I don't have to have my ligs changed because I only use them on top and I have had wire ties and chains on the top since my second adjustment. If they use any ligs it is only on my front 2 middle teeth (depending on how my teeth or wired or chained). However, I see them changing out stained ligs quite often. They are also on call for these things during the weekend.

Also, they keep great notes (Yes, I read them :wink: ) so the assistants know exactly what was done previously.

Anyway, all that to say.................have faith that the assistants know what they are doing. :) Relax and enjoy the ride. Pick out a bright color the next time you go and SMILE a lot :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

MsViola

#5 Post by MsViola »

Sorry, the site is acting up again!!
Last edited by MsViola on Fri May 23, 2008 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MsViola

#6 Post by MsViola »

:( oops again!
Last edited by MsViola on Fri May 23, 2008 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

MsViola

#7 Post by MsViola »

I feel stupid! :?

PigletInIowa

#8 Post by PigletInIowa »

Thanks a lot, all you guys, for the warm messages and info!!! I've never known you can read the treatment records. At the beginning I always feel bad to ask too many questions, but now I think about it, I was really paying a lot for the traditional braces and I'm really entitled to ask questions. So far, taking pictures by myself has been not that easy, I always have to drag my husband to do it for me, but you know guys, never have patience :wink: And I found the angles he took would be different from the ones I see myself in the mirror, so frustrating :? I will have to practice more and get myself busier so that I don't have time to do it every single day. Do you guys still remember after how long you start not to notice the existence of the braces? So far it's still bugging me most of the time...

Luella

#9 Post by Luella »

Yea... about the taking picctures... I'm a huge goober and I took my camera to the ortho's office and asked the assistant to take the pictures for me- she knows what they should look like, how to get the whole arch in one shot, and I'm in a chair in a postion easy for her to take a picture, plus she has a light which helps a lot. Hehehe. :wink:
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

PigletInIowa

#10 Post by PigletInIowa »

That's a great idea, Luella! I'll try it at my next adjustment!

MsViola

#11 Post by MsViola »

It took a week for me to stop feeling like I had made a mistake by getting braces. It took about 3 weeks for me to get used to having my teeth braced. It took about 2 or 3 months for me to not think about them all the time or feel like everyone noticed them. It took me about 6 months to get brave enough to try colored power chains. Now, I want people to notice my braces :lol: I decided to have fun with this experience and it was the best thing I ever did.

Keep the faith!!

PigletInIowa

#12 Post by PigletInIowa »

Thanks, MsViola! It looks like it'll take me more time to get used to it since this is already close to my 6 week mark and I'm still hating it:P I guess my 2 upper extraction gaps is the biggest problem. I'm always imaging without them, my life with braces would be easier. Let's wait and see.

MsViola

#13 Post by MsViola »

Again, I can relate. I am just now adjusting to the extraction gaps from December. At first I thought everyone was looking at them. I finally got over that but I am constantly measuring the spaces with my tongue. I keep asking "will they ever close???".

My Ortho keeps telling me they will. Now he is strongly addressing the problem, and I am going in 4 weeks instead of 6 weeks. Hopefully, I will see real progress soon.

Hang in there! Isn't it nice to talk to people who really "understand" :lol:

PigletInIowa

#14 Post by PigletInIowa »

MsViola,
Thanks for sharing your experience!!! I'm just wondering when did your ortho start to close your gaps? And did you have 2 extractions or 4 extractions? It sounds like there are quite a feel ppl have their gaps closed starting from the very beginning. I just can't wait for that moment...

MsViola

#15 Post by MsViola »

Initially, I had a few small gaps which closed within 4 months (all except a tiny one between my bottom front teeth - extra gum tissue is making that a "slow go"). It was amazing but like I said they were small gaps to begin with. I never really noticed them until they closed up :D

I had 2 premolars and 2 wisdom teeth extracted in Dec. 07. Those spaces (pre-molars) are closing slowly but he assures me they will close. Whenever possible I get bright powerchains because I think it makes people look at that instead of the gaps. People probably aren't even paying attention but you know how "we braced People" can be :roll: We are so important EVERYONE pays attention to us :biglaf:

Anyway, I have confidence in my Ortho...............I know a lot of people that have/are using him. I have made a point not to second guess everything he does.