good news and bad news - I need your advice!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BoSox2008

good news and bad news - I need your advice!

#1 Post by BoSox2008 »

Quick summary: I did not want to get braces, at all. In fact, I think I went home and cried after getting them on. I got them on when I was 22, last March. My bite was very off, I had a narrow upper palatte, and lots of crowding. Since then, I have become comfortable with my braces, and I am SO glad that I got them. I have had FANTASTIC results that I never even expected - woo!! I am graduating from college next month, and will be starting my new job. I've gone through a million job interviews and class presentations in my braces over the past year, its not the best, but not the worst either.

Good news: I went to the ortho earlier this week, and not only did he put in a "finishing wire" and started working on "refinements" he told me that I was pretty much done!! He said that except things that I want him to work on, there is not too much to do, and my bite is finished being worked on. SWEET!

Bad news: After images of my braces being taken off and the staff throwing me a party started running through my head, he told me I would have to keep them on for another 6 MONTHS to stabilize the teeth in place. Now, I know why he is saying this, and it makes sense to me. But of course I had to ask - "isn't that what retainers are for?" and he said "yes, but retainers come off, braces don't"... OH, makes sense too.

The rational side of me says "keep them on and do what he says. its for the best and it cant hurt" the impatient, shallow, and excited part of me says "get them off this summer! i'm sick of braces, flossing for 20 mins, eating braces friendly foods, and looking like a 12 year old. i'd rather not start my first job in braces, ugh"

What does everyone think?? Did your ortho leave your braces on for a while when you were pretty much finished, or did you get to wear retainers as soon as things were done? I'd like to take other advice whether its good or bad - I just want to do what is best : )

eggraid101

#2 Post by eggraid101 »

I would recommend doing what your orthodontist recommended! I know it doesn't sound like much fun, but either would getting braces again because your teeth shifted around. Just think of all the work you've already put into it, you don't want to see that flushed down the drain! And I guess you're coworkers will just have to throw another party, right?
Russell Mullen, DDS MS
Leesburg, VA

Remember: your orthodontist knows your dental history and orthodontic condition best. I can guide you toward better orthodontic information than if you were left on your own and hopefully in doing so play a small part in your quest to achieve a beautiful, fully functional smile, but you should consider your orthodontist the best source of information.

http://www.mullenortho.com

elpi

#3 Post by elpi »

Grr! he could have worded things a little better so you didn't get all excited!

Can't speak from experience as I've only just got my braces on but in your position I'd definitely want to keep them on for that 6 months because even then your total brace time won't be all that long (18-19 months tops?) and it seems that your teeth have done a lot moving and it just seems sensible (yet of course frustrating) to play it safe cos the last thing you want is to have to get braces refitted later cos you had them removed too early and things went wonky!

laurahalvey

#4 Post by laurahalvey »

I would just do what the ortho recommends. I am now braced for the 3rd time. Longer is better--if that is what he recommends, then do it.
Braced for the third time.....

final adjustment 8/21 and debanding 8/27!

browneyedgrl

#5 Post by browneyedgrl »

I totally agree, I would do what the ortho says. I'm a second timer and got my braces off 25 years ago and wore my retainers religiously. I probably stopped wearing them about 10 years ago. I developed some minor relaspe, but I ended up having a functional problem. I don't want to do this again either. I'd rather wear them a littler longer than doing it again.

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

BoSox2008

#6 Post by BoSox2008 »

Thanks for the input everyone! Thinking about it logically, it makes sense to keep them on. Though the impatient-5-year-old-in-a-candy shop is hard to shake, I know that it is important to keep them on.

Instant gratification of getting my braces off sooner does not outweigh the long-term gratification of having perfect teeth and not worrying about movement!

Nervous

#7 Post by Nervous »

I understand where your coming from. My ortho told me I am ready to get them off, yet I have to wait 2 months. The thing that's odd to me is the wait time for you. 6 months seems like a REALLY long time for things to settle.
Twin Blocks: August 19th, 2004
Braced: September 21st, 2005
Debanded: July 11th, 2008