ShineUpMyBoots Shines Up Her Smile! [3rdAdjPics. 07/07/08]

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ShineUpMyBoots

ShineUpMyBoots Shines Up Her Smile! [3rdAdjPics. 07/07/08]

#1 Post by ShineUpMyBoots »

Lame title, I know. :)

Hey everybody, I'm ShineUpMyBoots! You can call me Shiney, Boots, or any varient of ShineUpMyBoots. I'm pretty open to interpretation. I'm a 19 year old lady from Ontario, Canada, and I'm presently in University as a history major.

I joined up on the Metal Mouse Message Board after being linked here by someone's blog of their braces journey. I can't remember who it was though.... sorry. I decided to write my own story after reading the stories of Rage, Danish and Jenny.

My Dad's been trying to get me to give in and get braces since I was 13, but I refused, thinking that my Wonky Tooth was one of the only things that made me unique. :roll: The Wonky Tooth is something that most of my extended family has, and my one aunt decided to go and get invisaline to fix hers. The rest of us were intrigued. "We can fix our wonky tooth INVISIBLY?" It was true. Well, I'd be darned if we all didn't run straight out to the orthodontist after dinner that night. What we didn't know, though, is that a few of us had too wonky of a tooth for invisaline. I fell into this category. So, on went the braces.

I thought that Wonky Tooth was the only thing I'd have to deal with, but Dr. S's diagnosis was that the bottom teeth are crowded, and the upper & lower incisors are tipped forward slightly.My midline has shifted to the left as well, to compensate for Wonky Tooth. Treatment? Both upper and lower braces, elastics in at the six month mark, and then a retainer.

So the braces themselves will only be on for 16 to 18 months! Yaaaaay! :dance:

My B-Day was yesterday, but I think this post is long enough for now, so later today I'll throw in my "regular" teeth pictures, and those from yesterday.

Happy Days!
-ShineUpMyBoots
Last edited by ShineUpMyBoots on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sentence: 16 to 18 months

Bekah

#2 Post by Bekah »

Hey welcome to AW! I look forward to reading your story!
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

jenny101101

#3 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi Boots,

Thanks for reading my story! :D I look forward to following your story and seeing your pics. BTW, how's the weather? (It wouldn't be "Canadian" not to ask! haha)
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

ShineUpMyBoots

#4 Post by ShineUpMyBoots »

Thanks Bekah and BuuMajik!

Hahaha, since you asked, Jenny, I should tell you that it's pretty darn wet in this part of the province. There's no way of controlling the waterways, snow is melting and it's raining. Kids didn't have to go to school today because it was a "Flood Day". Only in Ontario, eh? :D

Well, here's the pictures, as promised [sorry if they're blurry or just not nice to look at, I couldn't find my camera so I stole my sister's webcam]:

Pre-Braces:

Today [One Day After B-Day]:

Nice Shot of Wonky:

So you can see where Wonky plays a role in this mess that is my teeth. If you notice, I've got teal ligs, part of an inside joke with friends of mine. :) I'm so amped about the idea of having different colours whenever I go in. My attendant at the clinic asked me if I wanted clear, and I was agast. "CLEAR? I'm in this for the whole smash of colour! If I'm going to do this thing, I'm going to be bold!"

So yesterday [first day] was a good day. A little irritation, mostly problems from a bracket being all buddy-buddy with a pre-existing cankersore, but I was quite proud of my new look and went to my old highschool to show them off to my band director. Eating was a whole other story. Because of where Wonky is placed, and him being the key thing to fix, it really hurts to bite down, so chewing is out of the question. So yesterday I stuck with tomato soup and italian wedding soup [mushing up the meatballs was a little difficult]. First cleaning was pretty awesome, I got really excited and called in my Dad to watch me floss. "DAD! DAD! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!"

I felt good today, too. I didn't really want to eat, though, because I still can't bite down, and I didn't want to deal with having to clean my braces. So I stuck to strawberry-kiwi applesauce and pudding. But man, oh man... do I ever hurt tonight! I accidentally knocked my two upper inscisors with my hand... FELT THAT. These two teeth are going to kill me. I can't do anything with them!

So I've popped a couple pain killers, and I'm starting to feel a little better. Hopefully enough for a good night's sleep!

Goodnight!

~SUMB

ShineUpMyBoots

#5 Post by ShineUpMyBoots »

Ugh, silly double post!

Oh, and I got some wax because today my bottom two inscisors [what is up with these guys and the tops? Out to get me?] have decided they felt like getting closer to the inside of my lip. It's getting rubbed a little raw, but tomorrow I'll throw some wax on and everything should be fine.

Okay, now I'm really going to bed. Promise!

elpi

#6 Post by elpi »

Hello Shiney! Looking forward to seeing all the colours you're gonna get through :D I've got a wonky front tooth too, it catches the light sometimes and seems to almost twinkle :lol: Sometimes it pokes out solitary style from my mouth, it's got character :twisted: I'll admit but I want it in line now!

Congrats and hope everything goes well :pinkbraces:

Unhappy teeth

#7 Post by Unhappy teeth »

Congratulations Boots on getting braced!

Although chewing is still a bit strange I managed my first non-mush meal tonight (curry), hang in there!

jenny101101

#8 Post by jenny101101 »

Ooh, I love the teal ligs, Boots! :D

Haha, school cancelled because of rain?!?! We've never had that...lucky kids! :P
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

young67

#9 Post by young67 »

Congrats on being braced! I love that you refer to your tooth as Wonky Tooth. Its one of my favorite words.

I totally remember the pain of accidentally bumping my newly braced teeth. Just thinking about it makes me flinch a little bit. Its gonna be rough for the first week, but hang in there.

Kiwi Applesauce sounds delicious by the way. Try ice cream too, you'll fall in love with it again.

ShineUpMyBoots

#10 Post by ShineUpMyBoots »

Thanks, Elpi! Yeah, sounds like we're in the same boat. I liked being "unique" for the past however many years I've had adult teeth, but Wonky, it's time to go!

Thanks for the tips, Ken. I'm trying to be upbeat, but it's kind of hard when all my friends and relatives are all "You got braces? What for? Your teeth are fine!", when the truth is that they're not fine. Right now I just tell them that I got braces because I can't afford grillz. :lol:

And young67, funny you should mention ice cream! We had ice cream cake with dinner tonight, and HOLY COW. I've never been a huge fan of vanilla [a little plain for my taste], but tonight even vanilla had so many different and intriging flavours. Of course, I couldn't have the fudge and cookie crumb bits of my slice, so I passed them off to my neighbour. He didn't mind. :D

I'll try posting a "What's Going On With My Mouth" tomorrow. A little too tired right this minute. We bought Rock Band [!!!!!] and it's been taking up most of my free time.

Bekah

#11 Post by Bekah »

I was thinking of getting teal bands at my next visit! The look good on you!

hannahwebbo

#12 Post by hannahwebbo »

Hi Shiney,

Congratulations on getting braced and your teal ligs look great. I havent dared to get colours on my metal braces yet but it may happen eventually.

mmmm that icecream cake sounds yummy, ive never heard of that before.

I remember bumping my front teeth when i first got my braces on and man does that hurt :shock:

I hope it keeps going well.

Hannah x

ShineUpMyBoots

#13 Post by ShineUpMyBoots »

Oh, you should, Bekah! They're pretty sweet. I have a teal shirt that I've taken an extra shine to, as it brings out the teal in my braces. I get to match! :D

Hey Hannah!! Ice cream cakes are amazing. That's the only way I can describe them. It's a single layer cake, but the top half is vanilla, the centre is fudge and cookie crumbs, and the bottom is chocolate. We get ours from Dairy Queen... I'm not sure if they have one in the UK.

What's Going On In SUMB's Mouth:

My lisp is driving me bananas. It's hard to try to enounciate every single word, and a little frustrating when people can't understand what I'm trying to say. Worse yet when they talk back to you very slowly, like you're challenged. My ears are fine, it's my mouth that's the problem!

As for pain, not really much going on there. My tounge likes to try to find Wonky and push him around a bit, almost like it's trying to move him itself. "C'mon, we haven't got all day! Just shift!" and that's the only thing that starts to hurt. Wonky clearly doesn't like being pressured.

Cleaning is going well, just a slight issue with my mouthwash. I read here on the boards to try to stay away from mouth washes with alcohol in them, so I bought one that was completely alcohol free. Well, when I rinse out my mouth with it, it leaves some weird chunks of blue stuff [kind of like mushy toothpaste] around my brackets. Usually just on the bottom. What's the deal?

In other good news, I've dropped three pounds since getting my braces! Yay! Probably because I'm incredibly limited to what I can eat: chocolate pudding, butterscotch pudding, regular applesauce, strawberry-kiwi applesauce, and soup. Last night we had scalloped potatoes, and I got to eat those because they were mushy. It felt SO GOOD to eat something new!

Anywho, that's all from my mouth. I've been asking my friends about colours for my ligs. Maybe I'll take requests for each time I go in for an adjustment! :D

Bekah

#14 Post by Bekah »

You are so funny! I have had a few people slow down when they talk to me lately! I lost about 4 pounds this week too!

I was going to get the teal ones but thought I should get smoke till I got used to the metal. But I wish I had gotten the teal ones now!

jenny101101

#15 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi Boots,

Sounds like you might be talking about Crest Pro-Health mouthwash? If it is, I tried it too and it did the same thing(left a film on my braces)and I had to re-brush. I also heard that it can stain after long term use so I stopped using it. I bought the Oral-B flouride rinse-alcohol-free. It comes with alcohol too but it's clearly marked on the label, if you wanted to try that :D .

Haha...I do the same thing, giving a tooth a "nudge" with my tongue. Oddly, it hasn't helped :? .
Jenny