Can a Waterpik replace flossing?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

ilovemacs

Can a Waterpik replace flossing?

#1 Post by ilovemacs »

I'm just wondering as I have trouble flossing, can a waterpik replace it? Thanks! :D

ilovemacs

#2 Post by ilovemacs »

I'll ask my ortho next time I go in! In 20 days! :D

mariahfromchicago

#3 Post by mariahfromchicago »

I don't floss much, but I do use a waterpik everyday!
- mariah

Jen Finnamore

waterpik vs flossing

#4 Post by Jen Finnamore »

I waterpik everyday and maybe floss about once a week...and I find it to be just as good.
I actually use one of the higher settings and have no problems.
I have found that it has actually improved the overall health of my gums by firming them up.

dimeech

#5 Post by dimeech »

I just asked my ortho the other day about the absolute need to floss every day. Ha said in a PERFECT world: do it every day. He also said in REALITY: people (even w/braces) do not do it nearly enough- aka probably 1-2 times per week. I said what if I floss e/o day and waterpick daily.... he said that would be WONDERFUL and that that was very realistic. So that will be my personal goal. (It's sort of what I've been doing anyway.)

artroxu

Waterpick vs flossing

#6 Post by artroxu »

I dont know if i'm paranoid or what but I floss every day. The floss with the stiff end is way easier than the floss threaders. You should be able to find that at almost any store w/ a decent selection like Walmart or Target. Its called Crest Glide Threader Floss and comes in a little cardboard box that has like 30 single use packets in it so you can put them in your survival kit if you have one. I like that they are each pre-measured.
One thing I've found that makes it easier is, say your flossing your lower teeth, start at the base of your tooth, put the floss under the wire and pull through toward the center of your mouth, instead of starting above the wire and inserting the floss pointed toward your gums. That seems to make it way easier.