20 Years Later - She's Finally Doing It!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cledin

20 Years Later - She's Finally Doing It!

#1 Post by cledin »

When I was 19, and working a full time job, I decided it was time for braces. I have severe overcrowding and was told that straighter teeth could potentially decrease my life-long stuttering problem. Well, like many teenagers, I chickened out at the last minute, went on to get married and have children. Twenty years later, after watching both of my kids get braced and see the end result, I decided.....if they can do it, I can do it! As I look at my 16-year-old daughter's picture from last March when she had hers removed, I see the transformation was amazing and the confidence boost? Priceless.

I was braced on January 28th after a week and a half with spacers. (ceramic uppers, metal lowers and molar bands all on the same day) I should be busy with this for at least 24 months. And yes, like everyone says, the spacers were almost worse than the braces themselves. I will have four pre-molars extracted on February 26th and my first adjustment on March 12th.

What I haven't mentioned yet is the inopportune time to break one's leg. I am an avid cyclist and mountain biker and managed to fracture my right fibula in two places on January 13th. Well, I was NOT going to chicken out again, come hell or high water (as my grandmother used to say) or even a broken leg!! I'm lucky I have good friends who were willing to drive me to all my doctor and orthodontist appointments! Cast on right leg = no driving!

I guess the brace diet has initially helped. (there's a positive here??!) I was afraid that I'd put on too much weight with the lack of riding (I was up to 4-5x training rides a week) and all the recuperating time, sitting around with my leg up watching movies.....well fear not!!! A brand new set of braces will definitely keep you from overeating!!! I lost 9 pounds in less than two weeks. I think I'm finally settling in now and won't loose too much more. Thank GOD. I need that muscle for riding, darn it!

Back to the braces.....wax and Advil are my friends. So is ChapStick. oh and a close runner up? Canker-X! :lol:

Being 39 and a single mother to two (great) teenagers is already challenging enough. Throw in braces. (guess I won't be dating for a while!) LOL

Thanks for reading. I am loving this site and have read many of your stories. I hope to 'meet' many of you and continue to share experiences and offer support and advice!!

BEST TO ALL,
Christine
Go Sox!

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

Welcome aboard Christine! Single mom just means you're ready to mingle. I doubt braces will have any ill effect on your dating life, if anything, you might start picking up younger men. :wink: Bummer about the leg but you can look forward to getting your cast off, next will be the braces coming off. Hope the recuping is going well.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Braced32

#3 Post by Braced32 »

Congrats on finally going through with it! :D I am like you and doing it 20 years later.

I had 5 extractions on Feb 4th and am still recovering. :( Still eating soft, soft foods. In 10 days, I've lost 6 pounds!! :D So I hate to say it, but you just might lose some more after your extractions. But maybe not!

Good luck on your journey!

missfashionista

#4 Post by missfashionista »

Congrats on taking the big leap!! Don't you worry about not dating. Once those braces come off, you would be able to get all the boys off you!

I just got braced as well...a week ago...but only the lowers. I will be getting my uppers in 2 weeks time. I like you, chickened out when I was a teenager. But now, with the threat of maybe getting gum disease in the future, I decided it was time to do something to my overcrowded mouth!

browneyedgrl

#5 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Christine,

Welcome to AW!!! I'm 39 and single full time working mom of three children too and I'm not letting my braces get in my way. I try and get out to have fun when I can, but it's hard with 3 under 11. When your ready, "HAVE FUN!"

What a bummer about your leg, especially the right one. I broke my right foot 8 years ago when my son was two. I understand how hard it is especially when you need to rely on people to get around. How long are you going to be in a cast for? You must be about halfway there at this point.

The braces diet is a great one, and that gets old quick, loved that one at the beginning!

Wax and Advil are great, but also stay well hydrated. Drinking alot of water makes the difference.

Good luck on your journey and have a speedy recovery!!!

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

cledin

#6 Post by cledin »

Hi everyone!

Progress is on it's way! The cast came off this past Monday! (3/3) and I can't tell you how happy I am. you don't realize the simple things until you lose it......like walking. I am now paying attention to every step I take! And driving?? Wow, it's like I am a new woman!

I unfortunately got the flu the weekend before last, just four days before the extractions (4). I waited till the day before, but eventually had to call and reschedule! I guess i'm glad I did; I was so sick!

The rescheduled date was TODAY! 8:30 this morning I because four teeth short! What a weird experience that was. My OS put me under, so I didn't have to deal with the needles (I cringe just typing that word) and the sound of the teeth being pulled.....ugh. So I woke up and it was done. The waking up was definitely weird. It was probably the most DRUNK feeling I've ever had. My friend Jen, who volunteered to drive me and stay with me.....said this has to be me at my funniest. Oh great....glad she didn't bring a camera. I'm comfortable enough with advil today and the numbness has finally subsided. At 4:30 I was getting worried that the left side of my jaw was still numb. But it finally went away. Carnation instant breakfast is my friend for this weekend (THANK GOD I loaded up on steak tips, parmesan mashed potatoes and green beans last night! GOD, that was good!)

I know I have it much easier than some people, i've been reading, but I just feel like the past two months have been a blur. Between breaking my leg and getting braces and the flu. Way fun!! THings are looking up though. I know I'll see progress now that I have space for teeth to actually MOVE! Did others see that happen quicker???

Now I start PT for the leg and hopefully by 3/25 (my follow up with the orthopedic guy) I can get back on the BIKE. Life is slowly returning to normal! yeee-haw!!

I hope everyone is doing well. Southeastern Mass is experience a very heavy rain and wind storm today, but I am VERY happy to report......NO SNOW! :D

melliemoo

#7 Post by melliemoo »

Glad to hear of your progress. You've been through alot and I'm sure that flu was bad--the experts state that this is the worse flu season in the US in a number of years. Breaking a leg....I imagine that was awful also especially since you are so active. Good luck to you!

cledin

#8 Post by cledin »

wow, Melliemoo.....I am 1 month, 1 week and two days since braced and four days till my first adjustment. Do you have uppers and lowers? Clear or metal? Did you have any extractions? (am I the question queen or what?)

:lol:
Christine

melliemoo

#9 Post by melliemoo »

I only have lower braces and they are metal, self-ligating types. Not sure what they are; they have little doors on the brackets. Because my upper arch was stable and no crowding on my upper jaw, my ortho only recommended braces on the bottom with a caveat. Because of the crowding, he recommended a central incisor be extraced. He said two premolars extractions were too many. So I had one tooth removed which will make my midline off. Lora, whose website is below, had similar issues so I know what my teeth will look like. Her teeth are better shaped than my though. Even though my midline will be off; I think it will better than snagglepuss teeth! I hid my crowded lower teeth pretty well by learning how to smile with only the upper teeth.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~lora/braces_month17.html

metalmouthmommy

#10 Post by metalmouthmommy »

Congrats to you on taking the braces plunge! As another Mom over 30, it doesn't matter how old ya are! :D

ps. when you say "go Sox" I *know* you're talkin bout the White Sox right???!!!!!! :BigTeethGrin: