Finally Decided to get Braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Beckalicious

Finally Decided to get Braces

#1 Post by Beckalicious »

Ever since I was 7 I was told by my dentist that I've needed braces, but didn't want them as a child when my parents offered several times to pay for them. Over the last couple of weeks I've been talking with my husband about my now wanting to get them after getting severe migraines from my Deep Overbite and crooked/crowded lower canines, and narrow lower jaw. I've set up 3 consultations (2 in January and 1 in February) to find out which of the 3 Orthos I feel most comfortable treating me. I will update my page with pictures once I get a memory card for my new camera to take them. I'm afraid my 6 month son will be afraid of seeing Mommy in Braces, eventhough he doesn't know what they are. I'm hoping I can get Invisalign, if not lingual braces or clear ones and not have to wear headgear which might scare the baby. Who else has had Overbite correction without wearing headgear with other appliances? What kind of appliances would help to fix my teeth with braces? If anyone knows please let me know. Although I already know I need braces, I can't wait to get them on already. Does anyone also know of any good Ortho Insurance plans that cover most of the cost or Reduced Cost for Ortho treatment? Please let me know. Thanks.

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

Welcome!!!

I have a deep overbite and overjet. My overbite has gotten smaller using just braces. I will get elastics in the future to fix the rest. No headgears or exractions involved. But, my end result is not going to be a perfect bite. In order to get that I should have a jaw surgery. I was not interested in that, because it was highly unlikely that my insurance would have paid it (not serious enough) and i did not want to have a surgery.

Good luck to your consultations!

LateStarter

#3 Post by LateStarter »

Hi Beckalicious :)

Good on you for taking the plunge! I don't think you need to worry about scaring your son - there's a thread here about babies and braces, and it seems that babies are more fascinated with them than anything else :D

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

Hey Beck, I wouldn't worry too much about headgear, it isn't used very much from what I hear from my ortho and OS. Kids don't really care about what's on your teeth and what not. Braces are braces and don't try to push too hard for Invisalign or a certain type of bracket. You are better off trusting your ortho for the outcome and treatment they can provide you than the name brand or type of bracket used. Just remember to go into your consultations with a list of questions such as: outcome expected from treatment plans, any compromises that will have to be made (extractions, orthognatic surgery, etc.), treatment length, extra hardware (headgear, micro-screws, expander, etc.), what do the fees include (retainer, extra hardware, broken brackets, x-rays, moulds), and that is just a short list! It will help to write things down and make sure you have a good line of communication with your ortho, when things get sticky, it helps to have a doctor who listens and answers your questions honestly.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Beckalicious

Thanks Platinum

#5 Post by Beckalicious »

Thanks Platinum. I had a friend who had Jaw surgery to fix his bite with having his mouth wired shut for a while and then braces and he told me that it took him a long time to recover from it which is why I'm nervous to have it done. I have to agree with you with the Insurance piece of it. Your
advice has been very helpful. Thank you.
platinum wrote:Welcome!!!

I have a deep overbite and overjet. My overbite has gotten smaller using just braces. I will get elastics in the future to fix the rest. No headgears or exractions involved. But, my end result is not going to be a perfect bite. In order to get that I should have a jaw surgery. I was not interested in that, because it was highly unlikely that my insurance would have paid it (not serious enough) and i did not want to have a surgery.

Good luck to your consultations!

Beckalicious

Thanks LateStarter!

#6 Post by Beckalicious »

Hi LateStarter,

Thanks for your advice. I did click on the link. I'm just seriously afraid of him trying to grab at headgear if I have to wear it like he loves to pull off my glasses. I know I've picked a akward time to want to finally take the plunge to getting braces, but I figured while I'm still young it will be easier for me to still want them than when I'm much older. I'm now kicking myself for not wanting them when my parents would have paid for them, but I guess you can't force a kid to do what they don't want to. All I know is all of my babysitters who had braces used to scare me whenever they'd smile with them on. Thank you for your encouragement on not having to worry about being afraid of my son being afraid of Mommy with Braces. At least I know my husband isn't against me wanting to get them on.
LateStarter wrote:Hi Beckalicious :)

Good on you for taking the plunge! I don't think you need to worry about scaring your son - there's a thread here about babies and braces, and it seems that babies are more fascinated with them than anything else :D

Beckalicious

Thanks Miss Smiley!

#7 Post by Beckalicious »

Hi Miss Smiley:)

Thank you for your words of encouragement. You're absolutely right that I should trust my Ortho's Professional Opinion as to what kind of treatment I would benefit from the most. All I'm worried at least with headgear and an infant is he loves to pull my glasses off of my face, so I'm worried he'll do the same with wanting to pull headgear out of my mouth while it's trying to help me correct my teeth. As far as esthetics is why I don't want anything notacable or too notacible since I work for a Luxury Car Dealership as a receptionist, it would probably look unprofessional with a Receptionist wearing headgear and metal brackets, but I will take my ortho's advice and let him treat me however he/she thinks is best for my case. Your list of questions will help me out greatly. Thank you. I think now after my 11 year old brother being out of braces for a while and my sister wearing retainers years ago, since I had the worst teeth of us all I'm finally ready to do something about it and actually having something to smile about.
Miss Smiley wrote:Hey Beck, I wouldn't worry too much about headgear, it isn't used very much from what I hear from my ortho and OS. Kids don't really care about what's on your teeth and what not. Braces are braces and don't try to push too hard for Invisalign or a certain type of bracket. You are better off trusting your ortho for the outcome and treatment they can provide you than the name brand or type of bracket used. Just remember to go into your consultations with a list of questions such as: outcome expected from treatment plans, any compromises that will have to be made (extractions, orthognatic surgery, etc.), treatment length, extra hardware (headgear, micro-screws, expander, etc.), what do the fees include (retainer, extra hardware, broken brackets, x-rays, moulds), and that is just a short list! It will help to write things down and make sure you have a good line of communication with your ortho, when things get sticky, it helps to have a doctor who listens and answers your questions honestly.

Beckalicious

My 1st Consultation!

#8 Post by Beckalicious »

Yesterday (1/8/08) was my first Ortho consultation. For starters I felt so nervous getting there that I thought I had the right place when I put it on my cell phone's GPS, it told me to turn around and go elsewhere. Luckily after calling her office I made it there right at 12:00 on the dot which was my appointment time. I was trying to get there early to fill out the paperwork, but no such luck there. I also loved it when I went in, they had asked "is she under 18" not realizing I came in by myself and then realized I was the one getting the consultation and I was well over 18.

The sentence prescribed by her was

Option A)1 1/2-2 years in full braces, either canine to canine clear brackets and the rest metal, or all metal, with a bite plate, rubber bands later on and then retainers

or

Option B) Invisalign for 1 1/2-2 years with retainers after

She also mentioned wanting to leave gaps in my bottom teeth when she removes the braces so that the dentist can enlargen my bottom teeth.

I was shocked when she said 1 1/2-2 years. I surely thought I'd be wearing braces longer than that. The only thing that really caught me off guard was the price for both, since I've been hounding my husband to see if there's an option through his employer for Orthodontic Coverage and if so we should add it to our plan and find out how much they'll cover.

I go in tomorrow to another Ortho that my Dentist recommended and see what his recommendation is. Too bad my 3rd consultation isn't until the end of Feb., since I want to figure out which Ortho I'll want to treat me and get things started. I'm also trying to compare their prices and the types of treatment they're recommending. As much as I want to get Invisalign I'm almost wondering if I'll be better off getting braces with the bite plate. I still have 2 other opinions to consider though.

I think I'm just that annoyed with my teeth that I'm just too impatient to get them on and have my bite and crowded teeth corrected and not be so embarassed by my teeth.

chillin-in-grilz

#9 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

welcome to the boards, thats awesome you are starting your journey
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

Beckalicious

Chillin-in-grillz reply

#10 Post by Beckalicious »

Hi Chillin-in-grillz,

Thanks for your reply. I'll have to check out your journey. I think as my TMJ and Migraines from that and my overbite and lower jaw being so narrow and crowded, if I don't do something now about it, I'll kick myself later as I'm already kicking myself about not getting them when I was told to get them as a child. I was almost a nervous wreck again today about my 2nd consultation since my first one had to get rescheduled due to car trouble and there only being 1 car for 5 of us in our house, so I couldn't go, and today I almost wouldn't have had anyone to watch my 6 month old son, in which he'd probably be distracting and disruptive. AT least part of my fear is over with knowing my husband has no problem with me getting them, however he thinks the cost of the first consultation that I had was really expensive. The whole thing now is comparing the prices and treatment options and wondering if I'll have a lot of difficulty talking and answering phones at work with a bite plate in my mouth. At least needing jaw surgery and or extractions weren't indicated. I'll be inspired by reading your journey next. Thank you again for the encouraging words. I'm a little too eager now to just want to go and set up the records appointment and get started.

KatieBug

#11 Post by KatieBug »

Welcome to the board! I have a similar case to yours as far as the overbite/jet. The first ortho I went to said that I would have to break my jaw and have it wired shut then full braces for 3 years. The next ortho (my current one) said that I would be fitted for a herbst appliace and full braces for 22 months. I also talk on the phone a lot, but I figure the only way that you are going to learn how to talk with appliances is by talking. I am very excited to get this done and cant wait for the perfect (or somewhere near) smile :D . Hope this helps.

-KatieBug

P.S. I have pics of my overbite on the page where you share your braces journey so you can see how bad it is.

[/url]

Beckalicious

3rd Consultation

#12 Post by Beckalicious »

Today I went in for what I think will be my last consultation. All of the assistants at the Ortho's office I had my appointment today were all very friendly and answered a ton of questions I had. It was a comfort to know that the Ortho that I'm going with has told me about her 2 times in Braces as did her New Patient Coordinator who was very helpful. She gave me a time frame of 18 months for braces with canine to canine clear brackets and all of the rest metal. To finish it all I did decide that I do want both upper and lower permanent retainers with the Essix for the first week and a half that the braces come off and then Howleys. They did mention that one lower incisior might need to be extracted to create room to help create room for correcting my lower crowded incisors (worst case scenario).

Since my hubby and I had a discussion last night with figuring out when I should get them on, he had asked me if we can get a few more bills paid and have me apply for SPAMPLAN which will save money for my treatment and apply for the Capital One Orthodontic Treatment Plan as well to help out financially. At least they told me when I schedule my appointment for Records that my spacers would go on that day unless if I wated 2 weeks they would put them on the following week, so there would only be a need for spacers for a week.

Because of my overbite and overjet, she said the day she places my braces on that she'll see if there's a way for her to put on both uppers and lowers on the same day, if not I'll have my uppers on for a month or two before she'll put on my lowers.

My only debate is if I want to get them on before or after my sister's upcoming Wedding in July where I'm in her Bridal Party. I want to start treatment soon, so they'll probably be on before the wedding. I'm glad I know what I want for treatment and have found an Ortho whom I'll be comfortable with.

Dr. G had told me that the first Ortho I had seen, her length of treatment might have been too long for me and also she said there is no need to treat me with a bite plate. She had also said the second Ortho I saw his treatment with just braces is right for me, but 1 year seems too short. She also told me she didn't want to give me a time frame that seemed to short or too long.

I can't wait to go in and get things started. It seems like her office doesn't like to waste time and once the Records have started they like to get their patients in braces almost immediately.

Have a great weekend everyone!