BRACES AND TIME OFF FROM WORK

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

adultbraces

#16 Post by adultbraces »

I'm planning on going to work and go to see my orthdontist and come back to work. I'm sure pepople will notice me different from morning and afternoon. And hopefully I will be able to talk with metals in my mouth.

gwynneth23

#17 Post by gwynneth23 »

I drove straight to work after having the brace fitted - then went and played badminton for an hour after work - and then went to a concert in the evening!

I was dubious about planning to play badminton, but my ortho said the badminton was fine - and that the exercise would release natural endorphins and make me feel better! So I went for it.

I had arranged that I could have the day off work if I felt I needed it though, so I was fortunate to have that option. That would be ideal if you can do that, as it's hard to predict how you might feel. I wouldn't have wanted to eat out in public for the first few days though, until I got used to the brace. It definitely took me longer to eat my lunch for the first week, plus getting used to cleaning my teeth and how to apply the wax etc... etc. :-}

I had two teeth extracted two weeks beforehand... and I wouldn't have wanted to go into work that day. My dentist recommended that I take it easy for 24 hours, and I'm glad I did.

HotWired22

#18 Post by HotWired22 »

Well I hope going straight to work is the best bet because i'm getting mine in 2 days and heading to work straight from the ortho! yikes!

lionfish

#19 Post by lionfish »

Well I hope going straight to work is the best bet because i'm getting mine in 2 days and heading to work straight from the ortho! yikes!
You'll be fine. Having to attend to work matters will be a good distraction for you. Life goes on.

vector

#20 Post by vector »

I had my top braces fitted on my off day (Monday) and went back to work
on Tuesday with no problems. Plan ahead though so you can bring your
supplies to work with you (wax, painkiller, toothbrush and paste).

Klb

Re: BRACES AND TIME OFF FROM WORK

#21 Post by Klb »

I am booked in to have my Ceramic braces put on the 4th March at 11am.
Silly question but should I eat lunch before going to the Orthodontist?
Also, would Sat/sun off work be long enough to 'recover'? I am an executive assistant so have to talk at work!
Would taking Monday off help, or is it a waste?

Klb

#22 Post by Klb »

PS I apologise for bumping such an old post.

djspeece

#23 Post by djspeece »

Klb wrote:I am booked in to have my Ceramic braces put on the 4th March at 11am.
Silly question but should I eat lunch before going to the Orthodontist?
Also, would Sat/sun off work be long enough to 'recover'? I am an executive assistant so have to talk at work!
Would taking Monday off help, or is it a waste?
Yes by all means eat before you go and enjoy yourself! You may want to premedicate with some ibuprofen since many of use begin to feel some pressure/discomfort a few hours after they are applied. Also, have plenty of dental wax on hand -- "just in case!" You really won't need to recover, but you may need to practice your enunciation a bit and speak a bit slower. I don't think you absolutely need to take time off, though. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

metalliKa

#24 Post by metalliKa »

Went to work right after I stepped out of the ortho's office.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

Klb

#25 Post by Klb »

Thank you for the replies, I shall have a big meal & nurofen, and won't worry about taking the Monday off.

Tyrantblade

#26 Post by Tyrantblade »

Well congrats on having the appointment to get braces, i think you will find that when you do get braces, almost nobody will even notice them

I never even thought about missing work after getting my braces put on, and nobody said anything about noticing my braces
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

poetgirl115

#27 Post by poetgirl115 »

My appointment was on a Thursday morning. I left work, got my ceramic braces put in, and made it back to work by lunchtime. I was glad to be able to eat lunch alone that day! Mashed potatoes have never felt so weird! Compare this to when I took a full day off for a root canal (which I really didn't need, but my boss insisted), and there was nothing keeping me from being able to go back to work. Just keep some wax handy, just in case!

poetgirl115

#28 Post by poetgirl115 »

My appointment was on a Thursday morning. I left work, got my ceramic braces put in, and made it back to work by lunchtime. I was glad to be able to eat lunch alone that day! Mashed potatoes have never felt so weird! Compare this to when I took a full day off for a root canal (which I really didn't need, but my boss insisted), and there was nothing keeping me from being able to go back to work. Just keep some wax handy, just in case!

RachF

#29 Post by RachF »

I had mine put on, on a Wednesday morning and went to work straight after. I struggled to talk at first but I soon got used to it.