weird Elastics Observations

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

weird Elastics Observations

#1 Post by iBorg »

I'm now in my second week of wearing Class 3 elastics to prepare my mouth for upper and lower jaw surgery. I've found a couple of interesting observations.

#1. The elastics (GAC Japans) change color from light tan to white with wear

#2. They grow in size not only in overall diameter but cross diameter

#3. My TMJ pain is reduced from before elastics but continues to move around

#4. They took about four hours to get used to. Since then the only time they've caused pain was when I didn't have them in for eight hours due to sickness

Overall, I wasn't sure what to expect. I expected a lot more difficulty than I've had. I'm thrilled with #3. Previously I'd been using a hot pad almost every night to relieve muscle tension.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

ilovemacs

#2 Post by ilovemacs »

Yay!! Good Luck! :D

I will need elastics later in my treatment, after my lower braces are put on, in about 2 months!!

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Mike

I'm glad you're finding elastics wear beneficial in terms of your TMD pain. Good news that they are not uncomfortable either. Since you replied to my blog whinge last week I am feeling a bit more tolerant of my elastics, but I still don't find them very comfortable. Maybe class III elastics are "nicer" than class II :lol:

dubnobass

#4 Post by dubnobass »

I've had some variability with elastics. Sometimes I get a bag which keep their elasticity for days and do not stretch out of shape even a tiny bit.. and sometimes I get a bag which grow to 3-4 times their normal size after 3 hours and snap the second you eat or drink anything. These are identical bags too.. totally random. Apparently the company who makes them changed the amount of latex in them, so the newer batches are not so good as the older ones. It also only seems to affect one particular size - the other sizes/strengths keep their shape and don't lose any elasticity.

I tend to change them at night-time, or whenever they snap, whichever comes first!

Also, my post-surgery elastics are teh win:

Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

I'm talking elastics not abstract art! How many weeks did it take you to figure out how in the world to do that configuration? I'm sure I'll have added hooks prior to my big "break" but I hope my OS doesn't want to use them all.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

I have class 2 elastics and I'm using the heavy ones from 3m. They seem to turn a cloudy white when I change them out, which I'm told to do 3 times a day or when I brush/eat. I have noticed that they have ridges when I pull them off, unlike when I first put them in all smooth. I guess I talk too much and the bands rub against the brackets.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

gunter8888

#7 Post by gunter8888 »

I agree that they are pretty easy to get used to. In fact, my mouth feels loose when I don't have them in place.

Like Meryaten I have also noticed a lot of inconsistency in my elastics. I have had 5/16" and now 3/16" and both have varied in thickness and elasticity.

Anyone ever start brushing your teeth only to realize that you haven't taken out your elastics yet? Done it twice in the last week or so. :?
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

regulering17

#8 Post by regulering17 »

KK: How on earth do you manage eating with elastics?
I'm suppost to take em out when I eat..and change them 3 times a day, but my ortho said: morning, after school and before I go to bed..but uhm I eat a lot more often than that.. actually I need to eat more often then whAT i Have been because I am so tired of changing elastics, cause i almost fainted today! really weird, cause i had eaten breakfast..cind of embaressing..I guess I have a low blood sugar or something...
but yeah, elastics do get more elastic after a while! but they sure do move teeth, despite the pain, it is worth it in the end guys!;)

LadyTr0uble

#9 Post by LadyTr0uble »

regulering17: Depending on what your configuration is, it's not hard to eat with elastics. They do pop off occassionally, but I just put it back on ... with my faced turned o course... even the bf shouldn't have to see my mouth open during a meal.

I do change them 2-3 times a day, depending on how often I brush my teeth throughout the day. My ortho told me that I have to change them at least once a day, so brushing after every single meal is the goal-- I get new elastics each time, which means that I get a stronger force working on my teeth! Yes, I have noticed that the elastics do lose a bit of its elasticity.

Andantae

#10 Post by Andantae »

Hey iborg,

As to #3---that is great---finally a little well deserved silver lining.... Do you not need the heating pad at all now at night?

Andi
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

iBorg

#11 Post by iBorg »

Its gone from every night before the elastics (even went out at 11:00 when away from home to buy one) to about once since I've had the elastics.

I'm in a dilemma now. I'm fearful they're closing the space for my implants (pulling my molars forward instead of pulling my lower arch backwards) but I don't want to go without the elastics. Not having the TMJ pain is REALLY NICE! With my bite plate to minimize grinding damage, if Dr. P thinks she needs to pull the molars back for implant space it would entail appliances I'm not sure I'm ready for. The kids have appointments on Thursday. I'm not sure if I'll mention my concern or not.

Suggestions?

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009