My ortho is retiring :/

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

thesallymonster

My ortho is retiring :/

#1 Post by thesallymonster »

So I just got a letter in the mail from the ortho's office announcing my ortho's retirement "early next year"! :shock: The letter also introduced the new doc who's going to replace him.

I'm not really sure what to think about this. . . I really like my ortho, and I really don't want to change! :? At least, according to the letter, my treatment plan and cost shouldn't be affected. The new ortho and my current ortho are going to practice together starting this month (to smooth the transition), so I suppose I'm going to meet her at my next adjustment in December. Eek, I hope she's as good as my current ortho, I'm really nervous about this sudden change! :Questions:
*The Sallymonster*

Now in elastics, too! Since 2/25/09.

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

I think there was someone else on the board who was having their ortho retire/sell the practice. He was all worried and once he met the new ortho, all worries were out the window. By golly, I can't remember who it was. I think the thread was titled "Changing ortho's not by choice"
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

gunter8888

#3 Post by gunter8888 »

Yeah, my ortho sold the practice and moved out of state with no advanced warning. I can relate to your aprehention. In my case, I ended up with an ortho that I like even better than my original.

Its very cool that they gave you some notice and that both orthos will be in the office together to make a smooth transition. That should make a big difference for you and for the new ortho.

Best of luck!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

Mer - That's why you're so important to this site! We'd be lost without posters like yourself!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

lemonlyme

#5 Post by lemonlyme »

Oh my god!! Our orthodontist is leaving?!!? I need to go check the mail..

QKate

#6 Post by QKate »

It would seem like your ortho should finish with his current patients and simply stop taking new patients and semi retire and then retire! Maybe you could ask him/her about this?

sauerkraut

#7 Post by sauerkraut »

QKate wrote:It would seem like your ortho should finish with his current patients and simply stop taking new patients and semi retire and then retire! Maybe you could ask him/her about this?
Sounds a nice idea in theory - for the patients.

But the ortho will want to sell his practice as a going concern and that could be a bit tricky if there are no patients left!

thesallymonster

#8 Post by thesallymonster »

Well I went to my appointment today and met my new ortho. She seemed nice enough, I suppose, and she really had this air of confidence and seemed to know what she was doing. I didn't get to see her that long, though, my retiring ortho first examined my mouth, then called the new ortho in. She briefly introduced herself and the current ortho told her of my case before she examined my mouth and gave her opinion, the two orthos discussed it a bit, and she was on her way. And then I was off to the assistant for a lig and powerchain change.

I'm still a bit apprehensive about this whole situation because I have such a great ortho and I've been very impressed with his work so far. I'm hoping things will turn out for the best, however, and I think they will (fingers crossed!) :?
*The Sallymonster*

Now in elastics, too! Since 2/25/09.