Using a retainer to straigten teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lmj0614

Using a retainer to straigten teeth?

#1 Post by lmj0614 »

Hi again,

I posted a few days ago...I finally went to the dentist this morning. I have to have all 4 wisdom teeth (impacted) removed next Monday (I am truly freaking out as I have never had any surgery before). I also have to have a crown placed on a tooth that chipped in the back. I have an ortho consult two weeks from today. Bascially I have a Class I (3-4 mm - I heard the dentist say this today), some crowding on the bottom front teeth, and the tooth next to my canine is a little crooked. I really dont think there is any escaping braces at this point! But my mom keeps insisting that all I will need is a retainer to straighten my teeth...I have never seen anyone with a retainer before braces...I think she is just trying to make me feel better because she knows I'm very apprehensive about getting braces again. Anyone ever heard of this?

timewaster

#2 Post by timewaster »

My old roommate had some crookedness return on her lower teeth after 10 years. Her ortho gave her a Hawley retainer to get the teeth back in place. she had to wear it 12 hours a day. Though I think because she wanted to have a normal social life (i.e. make out with her boyfriend ;) ) she just stopped wearing the new retainers after a couple of months.

So yes, it's not unheard of. However, you should wait on what your ortho says though!

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

You can achieve pretty dramatic results with Invisalign (http://www.invisalign.com) which is likely what you think of as a retainer. You may or may not be a good candidate, but realize there may be alternatives to traditional brackets.

Good Luck,
Rory

jennyontheblock

Retainer

#4 Post by jennyontheblock »

My boyfriend had a retainer when he was younger to straighten his teeth, but he was only 12 so maybe it doesnt work for adults

lmj0614

Thanks for the encouragement!

#5 Post by lmj0614 »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the encouragement - I appreciate it. I am really afraid of the dentist/ortho so its a big step for me to even make the appointments. I am also worried because I am in the middle of my first semester of law school and don't want to be out for too long (getting my wisdom teeth removed).

I have done a little research about invisalign and am a bit apprehensive about it since I have read many stories about how they don't work, are more expensive, cause other problems/lisp.Also, although I am feeling self concious about braces, I would almost rather have real braces because then I wouldn't be tempted not to wear them? Is this stupid?

I will wait for my consult and see what she suggests. I am very excited about it because I would like to be happy with my smile and bite again! I look forward to sharing my journey with all of you!

SnowSara

#6 Post by SnowSara »

Sounds like a good plan ;) They'll be able to give you all your options and more importantly, recommend what will be good for your case. Best of luck with your upcoming consultation!

In my case, I inquired about veneers with my dentist, and invisalign and braces with my ortho. In the end, the ortho didn't recommend invisalign in my case, saying that he could do a much more satisfactory job with attached braces, and I had no problem with that. I decided against veneers because I wanted a more permanent solution that left my teeth alone cosmetically, and even my dentist agreed.

I have a friend in invisalign who did indeed stop using them for awhile and had to back track, but I think he now is wearing them the way they should and making good progress. I, on the other hand, don't mind having braces at all and am extremely satisfied with my choice!!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

SnowSara

#7 Post by SnowSara »

Oh, and on the wisdom teeth thing - I'm due to get all 4 of mine removed as well, so I can't speak from experience but I can say that everyone tells me it is no big deal these days, you'll be fine in a couple days. I guess we'll have to see for ourselves! Here's good luck to both of us on that one!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

HeyTeach

#8 Post by HeyTeach »

you said" I have done a little research about invisalign and am a bit apprehensive about it since I have read many stories about how they don't work, are more expensive, cause other problems/lisp.Also, although I am feeling self concious about braces, I would almost rather have real braces because then I wouldn't be tempted not to wear them? Is this stupid? "

No this is not stupid. I have both, metal lowers and invisalign uppers. I found the metal easier to get used to, but now I'm ok with both. Invisalign will give you a husky voice and phlegm for a day or two until your body gets used to the compound. You do lisp a bit, but no more than other ortho gear causes I guess. It is annoying to me as yo have to take it out to eat or drink anything and then brush before replacing it. And you need 21 to 22 hrs of wear a day for max effectivness. All in all it's easier to live with traditional braces. Invisalign may not work on some conditions, and is not invisible or more comfortable, just less visible and differently uncomfortable.

Choice is yours and your ortho as to what will work and what will give you best results and easiest compliance. Personally if I were doing this over and knew what I know now, I'd go all metal because "invisibility" is not important to me after all, but a mid day cuppa joe would sure be nice and I can't!!!!! or maybe a sugarless mint ... nope...and forget gum (freedent won't stick but it is not sugarless and that is asking for a sugar bath against your teeth in that aligner...cavities fer sure!!)

Braces today in the grad school and adult world are not a stigma, but a sign of good personal health care and maintenance.

Pepper

#9 Post by Pepper »

Some of my friends have had retainers to maintain their teeth. They all were lucky and born with pretty great teeth, so they only got retainers when they were in late elementary school and early jr. high just to retain those nice teeth.

theprettyone

Re: Thanks for the encouragement!

#10 Post by theprettyone »

lmj0614 wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks for the encouragement - I appreciate it. I am really afraid of the dentist/ortho so its a big step for me to even make the appointments. I am also worried because I am in the middle of my first semester of law school and don't want to be out for too long (getting my wisdom teeth removed).

I have done a little research about invisalign and am a bit apprehensive about it since I have read many stories about how they don't work, are more expensive, cause other problems/lisp.Also, although I am feeling self concious about braces, I would almost rather have real braces because then I wouldn't be tempted not to wear them? Is this stupid?

I will wait for my consult and see what she suggests. I am very excited about it because I would like to be happy with my smile and bite again! I look forward to sharing my journey with all of you!
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you asked for opinions :) From my personal experience with Invisalign, I never wore mine and ended up stopping treatment. They were so painful, snapping them in and out had me in tears (it's not easy like in the commercials). And everyone saw them and would ask what the heck was in my mouth (especially since you can't eat with them in and have to excuse yourself before and after every meal)....I found the commercials and my ex-orthos "professional" advice, completely misleading. I know plenty of people love them, however I last only a few months, and still had to pay half the $5200 fee. I need something that I can't take off if it hurts too much, so I've opted for Linguals (on the back of the teeth) this time around! Also, he wanted me in Invisalign for almost 2 years......apparently I have a mild case and wil be treated in aout 9 months with Linguals....and turns out, I DIDN'T require the 2 major extractions Mr. Invisalign ordered me to have.