Day 3 of top braces

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blazestriker

Day 3 of top braces

#1 Post by blazestriker »

Hello all...I'm new here as of today.

I think I finally found the correct place to post after posting in some of the wrong places!

I just had a tooth extracted and braces put on my top row of teeth on Friday. I just turned 42 on Saturday. Happy Birthday to me! I truly thought that this would never happen and had resolved myself to live with crowded teeth for the rest of my life but my karma must have been due. I spent the weekend living off ibuprofren, scrambled eggs and soup. I'm anxious to get advice, comments and anything else you nice people have to offer me as this is all new to me. My mouth and "tooth hole" is still very sore, which is the only bummer in all of this since I absolutely love to eat!

Anyway, I'm going to post some pics soon and will read some of your stories to catch up with what's happening here. I'll be posting regularly since I want to learn and share as much as possible with others who share my experience.

Thanks!

cwatt1

#2 Post by cwatt1 »

Welcome to the forums, Blaze! It's great to have you, and hopefully you'll find the boards as helpful and motivating as I have. Looking forward to following your journey!

Hopefully for you, as for most people, your discomfort will be relatively short lived; it generally lasts but a few days. If you've browsed around at all here you'll find frequent posts about the usefulness and efficacy of rinsing with warm salt water. Since you've just had a tooth extracted, be sure and do it gently, but while you're getting used to your braces 5-6 times a day really helps the soreness and promotes healing. It really helps to stay well hydrated as well -- non-caffeinated beverages, preferably water. And be sure and apply plenty of dental wax as soon as you feel areas that are starting to get irritated (don't wait until you develop a sore if can help it). This will help your lips and cheeks to toughen without getting all raw and irritated. (If you're like me, you'll still get a few little pinches and cuts at first, but the wax will certainly minimze them!) When you eat, be sure and chew slowly and carefully -- this also minimizes pinching of your cheeks and gums while you're still getting used to your braces.

Be sure and check out the "Articles about braces -- for newbies and others" section if you haven't already -- a lot of great stuff in there that Lynn (the website administrator) has collected and put together.

It won't be long before you can resume your regular diet; just be careful, as I'm sure your ortho told you, about hard and sticky foods.

There'll probably be times when you get sick and tired of the $%^& things :lol: , but try and keep in mind why you're doing this and what you're doing for your health and teeth! I'm of the firm belief that this is one of the greatest things we can do for ourselves, and we're so fortunate that we have this opportunity!

Take care, and best of luck! We're glad you plan to post here often and share your journey with us :!:

Click here to read about my progress.

HeyTeach

#3 Post by HeyTeach »

Hey there youngun! Happy Birthday. Did the same for myself this year; it's my turn now! At present I'm lowers and doing fine. I have aligners coming at the end of the month for the uppers. It should be a cool comparison which I think is more comfortable, etc.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy the ride.

blazestriker

#4 Post by blazestriker »

Thanks to all of you who have welcomed me.

I'm definitely going to constantly remind myself what I'm doing this for. The pain is worth it for sure. I've had root planing done over the past month to strengthen my gums, just to make sure my "older" gums are up-to-speed.

Ironically, I've been selling promotional products to orthodontists for the past 20 years. I've even attended the American Association of Orthodontists Annual Convention every year for the past 10 years or so. It's always been a challenge to visit with orthodontists face-to-face on the huge convention floor with crowded teeth. Finally, while in Seattle this past May, I met an orthodontist who is also here in Sac. He is my orthodontist now!

Hey HeyTeach, You called me youngun...how old would you be, if you don't mind me asking?

KK, thank you for everything, especially the birthday wishes!

cwatt1, thanks for your advice as well. I will surely take this to task. I've been trying to have my "mandadtory" cup of coffee in the morning but I'm actually down to about a 1/2 cup and considering quitting.

It feels great to be associating with others who are sharing similar experiences.

cwatt1

#5 Post by cwatt1 »

I've been trying to have my "mandadtory" cup of coffee in the morning but I'm actually down to about a 1/2 cup and considering quitting.
Not me :!: No way will you get me to give up my coffee :lol:

Click here to read about my progress.

Caseym

#6 Post by Caseym »

Good luck with everything Blazestriker :D

PARR

#7 Post by PARR »

Blazestriker, that teach guy taught me in high school and that was two college degrees ago, not to mention some professional years as well. He's right up there, but not the oldest one here.

Welcome from another new guy on the board (almost a month).

HeyTeach

#8 Post by HeyTeach »

Don't make me give you detention for sassin' the teach, PARR!
Just turned 51, but there are more senior members here, I understand.

And what's all this about giving up coffee??!! NO WAY! Besides, coffee is a vegetable; it's like V8 right?

blazestriker

#9 Post by blazestriker »

Hello all. Here is a picture I took about 3 minutes ago for your perusal...

I switched to iced coffee as of this morning so my previous comment may have been based on raw pain and nothing more!

Thanks for talking me down.

jamie315

welcome

#10 Post by jamie315 »

Hello and welcome aboard, congrats on the decision to be braced, the first month I would say is the hardest, after that it just gets easier and easier, and once things really start moving, you will be so happy. I cannot wait to follow your progress, you will be so happy you did this, Goodluck.

blazestriker

#11 Post by blazestriker »

Hello all - I'm sorry it's been so long, but my girlfriend told me the other night that she saw this page while google-searching me, and I figured I would update with a new picture.

You were all so nice to me when I arrived back in September, 2007, that I figured it's the least I could do, and maybe it will even give some other 40-something person the inclination to go ahead and get their teeth straightened out when they see how great the results are!

Here it is, 13 months later:

suzeeq22

#12 Post by suzeeq22 »

Blaze!! WOW! How amazing is that!! You can really see the changes!

I'm new to these boards. I will have some extractions done in a few weeks and then will get my braces!

Thanks for sharing your story!

blazestriker

#13 Post by blazestriker »

Thanks so much, suzeeq!

It has all been worth it, and I don't regret anything1

Good luck to you with yours. If you post pics, I'll watch your progress, too, although you see how long ago I posted last.

Take care.