LilRedPitViper - is in elastics! Updated 11-27-07

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LilRedPitViper

LilRedPitViper - is in elastics! Updated 11-27-07

#1 Post by LilRedPitViper »

I figured I should start documenting my progress, so when I feel like nothing is changing, I can look back and prove myself wrong.

I'm 2 weeks into my adventure. I've had all four impacted wisdom teeth removed surgically, as well as four other extractions 2 weeks before brace day to make room for movement. I chose to have ceramic uppers, and metal lowers, and so far I have been thrilled with my choice. I do think that when I get my first adjustment I'm going to ask to have bright blue ligs put on the bottom. Right now they're just clear. I don't want colors on the top, I work in advertising for a real estate company, so I need to look somewhat professional. But, I'm also not about to deprive myself of the fun of colored ligs!!

I'll start with the photos, which I have to admit, are quite hard for me to post. I've gone so long hiding my teeth, and I had a hard time finding a "before" photo. But, I trust you guys not to poke fun, after all, they're on their way to being fixed!!

So, here they are. My "befores" and pics from today. Those aren't the greatest either. I can't tell if it's the lighting, or if I need the camera on a higher setting.

I have an appointment on Friday with the ortho, and something tells me he's going to do an adjustment. (Mainly it's the lady who I work with who used to work in his office - she's my go-to lady when I have questions at work!) I'll post an update then!!

BEFORE:

TWO WEEKS IN BRACES:

*Upper Jaw

*Lower Jaw
Last edited by LilRedPitViper on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:04 am, edited 5 times in total.

mrsphase74

#2 Post by mrsphase74 »

The pictures are fine, congratulations on beginning your journey.

married2abuckeye

#3 Post by married2abuckeye »

I know for me my crooked teeth have always been the "white elephant in the room" - I don't talk about it with anybody, really. And except for my husband, my sister, and my boss, I haven't told anyone I'm getting braces (besides you guys, of course)! (Yeah I know I live in denial) :oops:
I guess they'll all find out when I come into work on Tuesday with braces on...:-#)

Anyway, my point is: I know how hard it is, so props to you for showing us your "before" 8)

Kirsten

LilRedPitViper

Update

#4 Post by LilRedPitViper »

:D I saw Dr. Kotary today for my 2 week checkup. He was quite pleased.

He says I'm doing a good job keeping them clean. Nothing was loose, bent, or otherwise damaged.

I get my first adjustment August 13th. I'm looking foward to it already!

cwatt1

#5 Post by cwatt1 »

Sounds like you're well on your way, PitViper! And the pictures you've posted are great. Your teeth should align nicely.

Keep up that great attitude, and be sure to update us!

By the way, love your screen name 8)

Click here to read about my progress.

LilRedPitViper

Progress Report 8-13-07

#6 Post by LilRedPitViper »

I went today for what was supposed to be my first adjustment. I'm both thrilled and disappointed with the outcome of my appointment. The ortho ended up deciding not to switch me to a stronger wire for 1 more month. I guess he believes that the one I've got on now is still making lots of progress, and he would like to see my canines move a little more before changing the wire.

But, now, for the good stuff.

He was very very happy with the amount of movement I've had in the short time I've been braced. My top arch is really coming along. I've even got a gap between my two front teeth! :D The lower jaw is being a little more stubborn, but the doc said that it was nothing to worry about that they weren't moving at the same pace.

Once again I got excellent reviews on my brushing. (Which I sort of expected, since I tend to clean my mouth like a crazy lady) I've got ceramic brackets with clear ligs on the top, and I was told that they rarely get a patient in that office who manages to keep everything so clean. He gave me the option of replacing my ligs just for the added freshness. I'm a big one for clean, so even though I didn't really need to, I had the assistant change them. I decided to also get aqua ligs on my metal lowers. I'm thrilled with the way those look. I stuck with the clear on top again because of my job.

I'm scheduled for next month to go back, and this time he says I'll be getting a stronger wire for sure. I'm super happy that I've had loads of progress, but I'm sort of disappointed that I wasn't ready for my first true adjustment.

And, a few progress photos.

Last edited by LilRedPitViper on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

YAY! Clear and aqua, we're cool!! Sounds like you had a great day!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

chillin-in-grilz

#8 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

I dont believe I read your story :( But now i have. Awesome pics and good luck on your journey:)
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

cwatt1

#9 Post by cwatt1 »

I agree -- your teeth look great! Loads of movement in a short time. Goes to show you that even though your wire wasn't changed you still are making wonderful progress :!:

LilRedPitViper

#10 Post by LilRedPitViper »

Yesterday was my appointment for my second adjustment. It started off as a rough day to begin with, and by the end of my ortho visit, I was ready to bite someone's face off. :evil:

Saturday afternoon while eating milk and cookies (very very soggy cookies) my lower left molar tube popped off. After a quick post on the Metal Mouth Forum, I was assured that it wasn't going to be a major problem, and that it happened at a good time with my scheduled appointment only a day and a half away. I went through the rest of the weekend with the wire poking me in my gums. I just couldn't get wax to stay on.

I get to the ortho office yesterday, and explain what happened. It wasn't a problem they said. After taking my ligs and wires off, they decided that it would be a convenient time to have a cleaning. Ok, great. I like clean teeth. I'm greeted in hygiene and told to have a seat. I've never seen this lady before. I swear to you, she made at least 8 trips out of the room because she kept getting the wrong tools, and having to ask the ortho questions. She also didn't seem to understand braces at all. She kept asking me why I took my wires off!? I explained that the ortho wanted to change them. "Well what was wrong with the first ones?" she asks. OH BOY... this is gonna be a headache.

During the entire cleaning, she insists on telling me what a huge mistake I made by not getting dental care as a child. I'm real sorry lady, but there was no way we could afford it. I wanted to do this all my life. I felt belittled. I'm a grown woman, just like her. It was a difficult process for me to get this far. I really didn't think she should have been discouraging me.

I finally get back to the ortho chair to have my molar tube re-glued and get new ligs and wires. To make an even longer story a little shorter... The ortho decided he wanted to glue on extra molar tubes to the back tooth on each side of both jaws. Ok, a little more hardware, but I'll deal. It took them 6 tries to get the brackets to stay on my teeth. They kept breaking off, and then he'd have to pry off the cement, polish the teeth and try again. It got so bad that they decided to wait till next time to do the top jaw.

Put all that on top of stronger wires and new ligs. I'm in a whole lotta pain.

I was also told that I'm getting a few cavaties. I'm not sure why. I brush like crazy. Waterpik, floss, and flouride constantly. They actually had the nerve to tell me I should skip meals to cut down on food touching my teeth!!

I'm very sorry for this long saga of a post. But I'm upset. I don't feel I should have been treated in such a way. Straight teeth would be great, but I don't want to be treated like crap on my way to getting them.

cwatt1

#11 Post by cwatt1 »

Karen is absolutely right on. Wow, talk about lousy customer service! I agree -- your ortho should know about the way you were treated. Who needs that with the amount of money you're paying?

I hope you're otherwise happy with your ortho. Unfortunately some people -- apparently including some of your ortho's employees -- are OK from a technical standpoint but lousy businesspeople! Then again, maybe the new hygienist is neither :!:

Let's hope she was just having a bad day...

Miss Smiley

#12 Post by Miss Smiley »

WOWzers! This is why I'm afraid to go see a new hygeinist. I'm used to my regular dentists doing my cleanings. I don't want to hear that I have bad teeth because of such and such. I'm a mouth breather and it just seems that plaque and tartar builds up much faster within 3 months of a professional cleaning. There is only so much I can do without a pokey, pick tool that they use. I'm not about to go at it while I'm afraid of endangering my gums. My ortho's office is nice in that they clean out some of the tartar build up since he knows I'm a mouth breather. I'm constantly brushing and flossing, using fluoride rinses and proxabrushes but sometimes, I just need that extra scaling. Maybe you can chat it up with your dentist or ortho and see if you should be coming in more often for a cleaning.

I feel really bad for your day at the dental office, no one should say things about your childhood situation, since you obviously didn't have any control over it. I would have gotten up, told the office manager, ortho, and dentist, and requested not to have that hygeinist again.

LilRedPitViper

Vipers in Elastics!

#13 Post by LilRedPitViper »

Adjustment number four was today. All went relatively smoothly this time. I was suprised at the end of the appointment when the ortho hands me a mirror and says, "Watch closely, this is important. And you'll become quite good at this!" Turns out, it's time for elastics. He changed my wires today, and put on ones with these tiny little loop things near the front. I didn't know this until he was showing me how to put on my elastics. I wasn't allowed to leave until I was able to demonstrate my ability to take them on and off myself. Boy, those things get awful slobbery and slippery when you're trying to fit chubby little fingers halfway into your mouth! :D

I guess I'm not quite clear on how these work. How long I'll be wearing them... (I know, i know.. it's different for everyone.) Could someone explain how these things fit into treatment? Thanks!

I sort of feel like I have reached some tiny milestone in my journey to a better smile. I also feel like I'm going to be a little sore tomorrow morning...

rhonda30

elastics

#14 Post by rhonda30 »

Welcome to the world of elastics, just a little more orthodontic fun that you probably never dreamed of before your journey started. I know I didn't!

When I first got mine I was only able to open my mouth about 3 inches which was difficult when you are a teacher. I have since adjusted and I'm sure my students enjoyed me more when I spoke less. In my case they have been used to both close my bite and also shift my midline. A couple of months ago I was adorned with 4 of them. I am wearing two at the moment. I have had them pop out of my mouth and also break which obviously causes some minor discomfort to your gums and/or cheek. My ortho gave me a little hook device to help me put them in but after a short while it was easier and faster to just use my fingers.

I think I have outlined the worst case scenerio for the little buggers but keep smiling you will get used to them and your future smile will be the benefactor of a liitle inconvenience.

Miss Smiley

#15 Post by Miss Smiley »

I don't have chubby fingers, I have short and skinny ones, they didn't do much good when trying to put rubberbands on either. I ended up going back and asking for an elastics tool. It really made my life that much easier! I can do it with out lookingin the mirror or when I'm driving. Scary but awesome! You should call and tell them t's a bit difficult to get the rubberbands in there, and see if they've got a little hok/tool thing for you.