SARPE Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MGood

#586 Post by MGood »

I do usually have it with pork, but also on it's own. It's been a perfect snack for me since my sugery. I can buy it at the grocery store in six packs and they are perfect to pack in lunches.

Michelle

wardenclyffe

#587 Post by wardenclyffe »

Got my braces today. Top and bottom. I feel like I have a whole erector set in my mouth---braces plus palate expander.

I was running errands this evening. I planned things so that I could stop by an ice cream place that I like. I got there and I didn't feel like having any.

I recommend orthodontia to those who are trying to lose weight.

Ward

wardenclyffe

#588 Post by wardenclyffe »

Michelle, I forgot that it was your braces day today. How did it go?

Ward

MGood

#589 Post by MGood »

Hi Ward,
I know exactly what you mean. They served ice cream at work yesterday afternoon, and I passed on it.
Well, I got my top braces yesterday. He said he didn't want to do bottoms yet, he said I have too much going on and that he will put them on after I have the RPE taken out this fall.
So, I thought getting them on was pretty easy and I even thought last night, this isn't so bad. It was a whole different story come morning. My mouth is killing me. The inside of my cheeks and under my top lip are completely raw. It seemed to happen so fast. I have more wax inside my mouth than a candle factory. Thank goodness for wax is all I can say.
My Ins. company is trying to screw with me all of a sudden. I have a letter stating that my surgery has been approved. Then last night when I got home from work I had an "Explanation of Benefits" in the mail. It says they have denied the claim. I called them immediately and they are trying to say I didn't get the right referals and I didn't have the surgery within the 14 day window they gave me. The letter states nothing about either of these things. UGH!!!!!!!!!!! I certainly don't need this stress!!!
If you have a minute, please write back and let me know how you are doing.

Take care.
Michelle

wardenclyffe

#590 Post by wardenclyffe »

The inside of my mouth is doing OK. The wire on my upper teeth was poking me pretty bad on both sides in back. It was frustrating enough that I took a pair of old, greasy wirecutters out of my toolbox. I stuck the wirecutters in my mouth and snipped both ends of the wire much shorter. I e-mailed my orthodontist (after I did it) to make sure it was OK. I haven't heard back. I'm guessing it is OK because I was given literature that said I could snip the ends off if they stuck my cheeks. The literature suggested that I use nail clippers, but I decided to use something much more filthy.

I'm sure that arguing with your insurance company is stressful. My insurance does not cover any oral surgery or orthodontia no matter what. That takes some stress away---no one to argue with.

Ward

MGood

#591 Post by MGood »

Hi Ward.

You made me realy laugh when I read about the greasy wire cutters. I can also feel them poking me but, I settled for the wax. I'm not brave enough to start any cutting. I'm still dealing with hanging stiches too. Gross!!
Do you have any other surgeries in your future? At some point I will need a LeFort I Osteotomy to shorten my posterior maxilla. I'm not even sure what this one entails yet. Maybe if you or anybody else out there can offer some info., that would be great. I don't even know the timeframe yet but, I'm trying to prepare myself.
How is your eating going? I am still having difficulty. Now with the added nuisance of the braces, it seems like such an effort.
I am going to try a burger from the grill cut up in small pieces tonight. Wish me luck!
Talk soon.

Michelle

wardenclyffe

#592 Post by wardenclyffe »

I'm eating burgers, too. No bun, just the meat.

I might need a Lefort 1 as well. They aren't sure (or they are not letting on how sure they are) yet. This thread on this website has been very helpful for me to learn about SARPE, but I'm not having as much luck with Lefort 1. It appears that Lefort 1 refers to where the bones are cut. Once the bones are cut, they can be moved forward, back, up, down, left, right, diagonal, whatever you want. Because of that, I think every patient has a very different experience. With SARPE, pretty much the same thing happens to everyone. I know that Lefort is more complex than SARPE. It sounds like you've had a complex enough time with SARPE. I was told about a year between the two. That sould give me enough time to recover physically from SARPE. I think they're also hoping that I will forget all the rotten parts about the experience so that I walk in willingly.

Ward

Brandyleigh35

#593 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Ward,
Understanding the whole Lefort 1 thing can be kindof confusing. Here is a whole thread where several of us discussed it and defined the difference.

Please read through this I'm sure it will help clear things up for you. I went through SARPE last March, and I'm 7 weeks post op from upper (Lefort 1) Lower (BSSO) and a chin genioplasty.

viewtopic.php?t=17031&highlight=lefort

Hope this helps you!

Brandy

wardenclyffe

#594 Post by wardenclyffe »

Hi Brandy,

Long time, no see around here. I'm surprised you ever visit this thread anymore. Your SARPE is (luckily for you) in the distant path.

The thread you referenced is the one where I learned most of what I learned (also from links in your blog). I should have credited you or given the link that you did.

I still think it's almost impossible to have a thread like this SARPE thread devoted to Lefort 1. SARPE is pretty much the same procedure for everyone. Everyone will react a little differently, but the procedure is the same.

Aside from the variations in the Lefort procedure, the motivations for doing the Lefort varies from person to person. I have an open bite that I apparently developed after 40+ years of swallowing with a tounge thrust. Others have overbites or underbites or any number of other problems. Lefort 1 will mobilize the same bones (usually) from operation to operation, I think the experience of the individual will vary greatly depending on where those bones are moved and for what reason.

This is not a criticism of anyone or anything. It's just unfortunate that I probably won't really find a Lefort 1 "home" the way this SARPE forum has become a "home" before during and after the procedure.

For example, Michelle (MGood) and I seem to be on about the same track. We even got our braces the same day, but our Lefort 1 procedures (while they may also be the same day a year from now) might end up being radically different operations even though they have the same name.

I'm getting repetitive and complaining about nothing.

Thanks, Brandy, your posts here and your own website have been very helpful to me. Although I did not credit you with my "knowledge" of Lefort 1, if you look back a page or two, you will see that I have recommended your website and will do so again. It's fantastic.

Thanks again,
Ward

Brandyleigh35

#595 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Thanks Ward,
Oh yea I'm on here all the time. I understand what you are saying, it really is such an individual thing for each person depending on their case. I had another lady I have been keeping in touch with who went to surgery 3 days before me. She too had a Lefort, but hers was a 2 piece, and mine was a 1 piece. Honestly though, from what I have seen talking with many others who have had a variety of these different procedures recovery is about the same.

Not sure if you had a chance to look at the folks on my blog that had MMA's for their sleep apnea. The MMA involves just a straight forward Lefort 1 (usually a rather large upper advancement) as well as the Lower BSSO, and either a genioplasty or genioglossus advancement. Exactly what I just had. So if you are looking for others that have had the upper and lower advancement with just the straight forward, one piece Lefort, they would be the ones to read. I have found also that each oral surgeon does things so differently though that even two people having the same exact surgery may have it done totally different just by virtue of the fact that each doctor handles the whole procedure differently. It can be frustrating trying to find a straight forward approach to the actual procedure though.

Good luck on your oral journey though. I'm thankfully getting near the end of mine but I can say that if I had to go back and do it all again, I would do it in a heartbeat! It has totally been worth it, and not near as bad as I had thought it would be!

Brandy

MGood

#596 Post by MGood »

Hi Ward,

Well my mouth is finally toughening up. You know what bothers me the most, is that wire right in the front. My lip has this permanent line in it. I still can't wait for this RPE to be taken out. I feel bad for wishing the summer away but, I just can't get used to it. I hate the way I talk with it.

I was finally able to figure out how to post pictures so, here goes. The first one is right after I finished expansion. The second one is 3 weeks later right after I got my braces on.

Do you have any pics yet?

I hope all is still going well and the wires aren't poking you. When is your next ortho appt? Mine is Aug. 14th

Talk soon.
Michelle

wardenclyffe

#597 Post by wardenclyffe »

Sadly, I have no photos, but I will tell you that mine would look pretty much like yours---with one exception. Mine would include a large beard. I have not shaved since the oral surgery. At first it was because I was swollen and didn't feel like it. Then the bands that held the palatal expander on my teeth had little brackets on them for future braces. Putting pressure on my cheeks would cause the brackets to dig in to my surgery scars, so I didn't shave. Now, I use the beard as camouflage. Once my gap completely closes, I'll probably shave. Yours looks like it's on the way to closing. I've had braces for less than a week and my gap appears significantly smaller, but it's still significantly big.

Thanks for the photos,
Ward
Last edited by wardenclyffe on Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chipmunkcheeks

catching up

#598 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

hey michelle,

i think my gap is catching up with yours! its about 5 mm so far and i have turned it 2 more times...so about 5 and 1/2 mm gap now...wow. it will get a little bigger because i have to overexpand a lil bit, but as long as it eventually goes away i dont really care too much. ill figure out posting pics and i will do it when he says i can stop. anyways, hope all is well.

lisa

MGood

#599 Post by MGood »

Hi Lisa, Ward,

How are you both doing? I've been so busy at work, I haven't had a minute to post anything. Unfortunately, I don't have much news. My gap seems to be staying put. I take a new picture every Sunday, and the last week or so it hasn't seemed to change at all. Some good news I guess, is that eating is getting a little better. My right side is still sensitive but, my left side seems to be chewing things pretty well. I still can't stand this HORRIBLE expander!! I want it out so bad.
I have an appt. with my OS August 2nd and my Ortho. on August 14th. I'm going to ask them both what the expected timeframe is for my Lefort surgery. Part of me dreads even the thought and part of me just wants it over.
I hope you are both doing well.
Talk to you soon.

Michelle

chipmunkcheeks

recovering

#600 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

Hey Michelle,

Things are going well. I am still on a no chew diet. Today is exactly two weeks from surgery. Tomorrow i see the OS and ortho. I am hoping the OS will let me chew and the ortho said on Monday he will measure my arch, crank it one last time if he wants a little bit more space and then tie it off!!! woohoo! tomorrow my jaw officially gets to start healing! I have pics but i have to put them on another site to make them formatable and i will do it towards the end of the week. otherwise the pics are posted on yahoo ortho surgery site 1. My gap is 6mm as of today. It probably will not get that much bigger with 1-2 turns because my gap isnt moving at the same rate as my jaw is widening, which i am NOT complaining about. Most of my swelling is gone, though there are a few spots that are still a bit numb, however, i get itchy on my cheeks, which makes me believe the feeling is trying to come back. As the swelling goes down, i get more feeling, so i am not worried about any residual affects, nothing in my mouth is numb. i hope this is a sign of how i will recover next year with the bigger surgery. i also had NO bruising, which, i expect next year because of all that will be one in one shot, however, a pleasant surprise this summer not to have to explain myself and that i am not abused. anyways, i hope everyone is recovering well and i will post pics soon!

lisa