cwatt1's story -- New pics 11-16-2007 -- I see symmetry!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cwatt1

cwatt1's story -- New pics 11-16-2007 -- I see symmetry!

#1 Post by cwatt1 »

Well, first of all I'd like to express my appreciation and admiration for all of you folks who have posted to this forum. I feel very blessed to have found it -- especially all you "50 somethings" who have been so supportive! I'm going to try to keep a journal of my experiences, so this will be the first of many updates. I also also plan to be a on this board on a regular basis!

As I think I mentioned on the "Bracket Club" section, I saw an ortho recently because I was biting my lower lip more and more these days. But that's not the whole story. It became apparent after my consultation appointment that, even without regard to that little annoyance, something really should be done about my teeth. Check out these choppers:

I have severe crowding in my lowers, deep bite, crossbite, and retroclining, and I'm really looking forward to starting this journey to better health.

Had my appointment for my impressions on June 19, and will be getting upper and lower Damon brackets on July 12, assuming nothing precludes it. Also will be getting elastics and, when I'm done, both a permanent retainer and a removable one.

My ortho wants me to have some periodontal probings from my regular dentist beforehand, so I'm going to do that on July 9 along with a general dental exam.

All of your stories and info are inspirational. Best of luck to all on your continued journeys.
Last edited by cwatt1 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Click here to read about my progress.

TLB in Minneapolis

#2 Post by TLB in Minneapolis »

Nice to have you here. This site has been so informative. Your teeth have a nice shape and are quite white, so when they are all aligned they will look fantastic!

Best of luck to you on the 12th! :lol:

cwatt1

#3 Post by cwatt1 »

Thanks to all the encouragement. :!:

Thanks for the compliment, TLB -- I actually think they look whiter than they really are on the photo. Actually they're not so white -- I'm a black coffee drinker! :!:

cwatt1

#4 Post by cwatt1 »

More pre-brace pics -- notice the retroclining, crowding (especially the lower arch) and the crossbite involving my lower left bicuspid. I always disliked my uppers more than my lowers, but I think the lowers actually need more work.

One week to go before b-day.

joney

#5 Post by joney »

I can sympatise with disliking uppers more than lowers. I always disliked my uppers more, they are on show more so it stands to reason. However I've needed loads more work on my lowers too.

You'll be amazed how quickly things start moving (I have been) and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Good luck with everything.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

cwatt1

#6 Post by cwatt1 »

The canvass before the work of art is started - can't wait to see the finished product
I'm going to remember that one! Thanks, all, for the encouragement. Monday's my probing and checkup, Thursday is b-day if all goes well!

Thanks to all for the encouragment and good wishes. :)

cwatt1

#7 Post by cwatt1 »

Thanks, Ken, for stopping by!

Have just started following your own journey -- great that we 50 plussers can lean on each other for support! :lol:

Laurie

#8 Post by Laurie »

Good luck at the Perio's office!

You know I think it's just beyond groovy that you're doing this for yourself.

cwatt1

#9 Post by cwatt1 »

Thanks Laurie! It's great to have the support of so many folks out there who are going through the same or similar experiences.

Well, I had my dental exam and perio probings this morning -- pretty uneventful. The probings went fine -- most of my pockets were "2" and "3", with a couple of "4"s, but my family dentist doesn't seem to think there's cause for concern, especially since I will be having these probings at 6-month intervals during my treatment. He made no mention of referring me to a periodontist. He did advise me to brush the insides of my teeth a little better -- a little bleeding during the probing procedure. I thought I WAS doing that, but I'm going to have to be even more diligent.

More good news -- no cavities! I do have a couple of places where there's some enamel erosion -- a little pitting -- fairly common, I understand (my advanced 56-year old mouth, I guess). My dentist wants to fill those spots when I'm done with my orthodontic treatment. I also had a small piece of a recently installed white filling break off since the last time I had an exam. But no cavity there and since it's it a spot where the teeth are very close together. I asked my dentist whether he thought I should delay things until it was taken care of, but he wants to wait until my treatment is completed since the tooth will be moving anyway.

Looks like its a "go" for Thursday's b-day! I'm getting excited and a little nervous -- didn't think I would be, but I find that I am, a little!

More later :!:

Cinnamon

#10 Post by Cinnamon »

Best of luck tomorrow!! Eat something from the "forbidden / not with braces" list tonight :twisted:. Get a good night's sleep and get ready for some changes!!! :-88

Click on Wonder Woman to go to my braces story Image

cwatt1

#11 Post by cwatt1 »

Well, today is THE DAY. It's about 6:50AM CST as I write this. Appointment is at 12:15PM , so 5 hours & 25 minutes to go!

I have to say I feel relatively calm. I've spent a lot of time looking through this website, reading various posts, but I have to admit I really don't know what to expect. How will eating be? I was told that because of my deep bite I'd have to have some "build up" of my molars or something to keep my uppers from shearing off the brackets on my lowers. I'm sure it's fairly common, but the not knowing how that part of it's going to feel is what I'm a little nervous about.

Cinnamon, I took your advice and ate something last night I probably won't for a while -- corn on the cob! Not that I can't scrape it off the cob in the future, but it won't really be corn on the cob!

Karen, Laurie, Ken, Cinnamon, joney, jtlang, Linda, TLB in Minneapolis, et.al., as well as those of you who've responded on the other forums, just want to say you guys are terrific at making this newbie feel welcome. I wish all of you continued success on your own journeys!

Gotta get ready for work -- to the office this morning and then the afternoon off. Will post some new pics as soon as I get the chance.

Catch you all on the "other side" :!:

cwatt1

#12 Post by cwatt1 »

Well, all went according to plan. Ortho and staff were terrific. Supposedly I'm the first patient to use a new bonding compound -- hope it works :lol:

I have Damon 3's with .014 archwire. The braces feel great so far, although I'm sure I'll be cursing them tomorrow and for a few days. My ortho prescribed, as he usually does, a prescription flouride cream that I'm supposed to use nightly to make the enamel stronger and prevent calcification. You're supposed to brush with it once per day instead of the regular toothpaste, spit it out without rinsing, and make sure you don't eat anything for at least half an hour.

The office also gave me a supply a toothpaste, floss, floss threaders, and a couple of inter-dental brushes.

All teeth were braced with the exception of my second molars, which will be done at my next appointment on September 25. As for the elastics, I was told that I'd have to start using them about halfway through my treatment (that would be 10-11 months)

First molars were built up, as I new they would be, as you can easily see in the picture below of my upper arch. Feels weird, but I feel sure I can eat with them.

Overall, an exciting day. I'm very pleased and excited to get this started!

My newly braced teeth -- Damon 3's with .014 archwire:

Lower arch:

Upper arch - notice the blue mountings on my molars:

What a great gift to myself! :-V I'll keep reminding myself of that on the days when I'm not feeling so good!
Last edited by cwatt1 on Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Smiley

#13 Post by Miss Smiley »

ConBRACEulations! :-)o
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Cinnamon

#14 Post by Cinnamon »

ImageImageCool! Congrats cwatt, you're official!!ImageImage

Click on Wonder Woman to go to my braces story Image

married2abuckeye

#15 Post by married2abuckeye »

Woohoo cwatt!! :dance:

I'm sooo jealous, since my b-day isn't for another 3 and a half days :roll:

Glad they're feeling ok for now. Keep us posted on your progress!

Kirsten