jaw clicking/popping after surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

agentzero

jaw clicking/popping after surgery

#1 Post by agentzero »

I had lower jaw surgery (BSSO) in early April so it has been almost 3 months. I just recently noticed a clicking/popping sound on my left side when I chew or sometimes when I open really wide. Has anybody else experienced this and if so what was the reason?

Also, my ortho has me on elastics right now with medium on my right side and heavy on my left side. Do you think this could be the reason that I only have the clicking/popping on my left side?

sillikitti

#2 Post by sillikitti »

I had my lower jaw surgery about 2 weeks ago now..I have that clicking/snapping thing going on on my left side..usually when I bite together it happens..my OS said that was normal..after 3 months tho? Hmm..I know that was one of the "things that could happen" after surgery along with probable numbness..

Happy2Smile

Re: jaw clicking/popping after surgery

#3 Post by Happy2Smile »

I just had this surgery August 27, 2012. This discussion was so helpful as technically I was supposed to be on a liquid diet for 6 weeks, but by week 4/5 I was starving, and had restorted to eating some pudding or things I could slurp down. At week 5 on the dot I got lazy :oops: and really desperate, and smashed with a fork some mac-n-cheese alfredo with chicken instead of blending, and ending up getting some stuck, and shortly after hearing some clicking and for less than a minute some pain/weird sensation. I thought for sure that I messed things up :cry: and did some research and found this discussion as well as calling my doctors office. Sounded like it was slightly normal when you go back to eating and I was told to baby it and to listen or do what my doctor had told me. It has been about a week and a half and it is almost gone, which I am so grateful. More stories of what people have experienced and what worked is so encouraging, and helpful. It is nice to know what one is going through can be normal. :D

Happy2Smile

Re: jaw clicking/popping after surgery

#4 Post by Happy2Smile »

The clicking did stop for me, but every once in awhile when I yawn big some weird pop sounds happens, but not to the point where I have constant clicking or popping. However in the are of numbness it has been over a year since surgery, and I still have a bit of numbness on the right side.