OK, I give in *July 30 Adj. p37*

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Miss Smiley

OK, I give in *July 30 Adj. p37*

#1 Post by Miss Smiley »

I finally decided to post my story. It all began when I was little, I knew I needed braces for my big Bugs BUnny consumated with Dracula teeth. But, I wanted to avoid it and hoped that they would fix themselves. I didn't want people to make fun of me having braces when I was already getting it for my naked teeth. My parents tried to trick me, they weren't very good at it, eventually they gave up. My brother graduated dental school when I graduated high school so I figured he could just fix them with removables. Stupid me didn't know back then, that ortho providers actually went to school for that after dental school. GREAT! So I just had him whiten them so people could atleast focus on my BIG white teeth instead of just my BIG teeth. That worked for a while, I was happy.

Fast forward 8 years, I realized that my lower 3rd molars were coming in. Uh...great, luckily I was missing one 2nd molar so the 3rd just slid right into place. The other one, still a little ways away. After a year or so, I notice my midline shifting and my lower canine rotating more than it was. :shock: I went and showed my brother, who by now has gotten an M.D. on top of his D.D.S., and he says "It has to come out now or go see an ortho and I'll have to take out your bicuspids." Great... So I tell my pops and he says to go to his friend who is an ortho. I go and he tells me to extract the bicuspids because I have no room in my mouth as is. I ask if I can keep the 3rds and he says "For now you can keep them, but we'll see later on. Also, you need to have your 2 root canals crowned and a FM scaling." :D Good enough for me.

So I schedule for braces a month later. I schedule my crowns and scaling for the next week. I went to my brother's friend who is a prosthodontist, how lucky for me, he says "I need you to have your root canals re-treated before I crown them." Me - :cry: So, I call my brother and luckily, he has a friend who is an endodontist and can see me the next day. I go in and tell him that it's my 2nd molars, one on the LL and the other LR. He says "Which side do you want to do today?" I said "Just do both so I can get it over with." His assistant and he look at one another and he looks back at me and says "I don't think you'd want that because it would take about 4 hours." I said "If you can do it, I can do it." He chuckles and starts going and keeps going and uses the whole 4 hours. WOW... :huh: Can I just say, my jaw was REALLY REALLY sore, but I remedied that by going out to happy hour right afterwards. Hahaha I guess dental pain can be off-set by drinking!

I go in a few days later to get my crowns done. Molds, and temps are on, just have to send things to the lab and wait for my PFM crowns to come back. Crowns come back and I'm there getting my crowns on. He seats it and tells me to bite hard on the bite stick, I bite and *CRACK* I look at him and he says "It's just the bite stick. *lifts the bite stick* Ok it wasn't the bite stick, the porcelain cracked." oh great so I have to wait another 2 weeks for a new set. I had my ortho brace day that next morning so instead of cancellling I go and tell him what happened to the lower crowns he told me to get. I thougt I was just going to get spacers or somethingSo he braced the top and I scheduled for the bottoms in two weeks the day after I get them crowned again.

I should have taken pics but I was too in shock to want to have records of the hideous jagged wire across my mouth. I took some 2 weeks after and now every so often I get bored. I shall post some later. And that was the beginning of my long dental excursion. I'm sure you're bored by now, but I promise some pictures soon.
Last edited by Miss Smiley on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 39 times in total.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Hi Miss Smiley

I like your sense of humour. Sounds like you've had a lot done already but you're taking it in your stride. Great to have a dentist in your family that can advise you.

Keep up the good attitude and you'll find braces a breeze.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

Oh yeah, so all of you lucky folks who had spacers, I have no idea what it and having bands with cleats feels like. I think I've been shorted on my ortho tx. Shouldn't I get part of my tx fees back? No spacers, no bands, no impressive expanders or cool headgear. I'm using less materials so I think I should get a discount.

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

Hahaha I guess I'll be missing out on the whole spacers and molar bands experience bc my ortho chooses not to use them and has taken a liking to buccal and molar tubes. I have one of those orthos who is also faculty at a dental school but I go to his private practice so I know he will be the only one really "working" on my teeth. The assistants there are also wonderful, I usually get the girls who are more experienced rather than the newer and younger girls who take half and hour just to get the ligs off. But it would be kind of nice to have all these extra expanders and stuff, it would be like an ortho gift shower. People get married and have babies, they get all these presents from their showers. I was kind of hoping I'd get some extra hardware for my brace day you know?

Miss Smiley

Next adjustment/lig change

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

Saturday morning at 8am. I wonder if it's okay for me to roll out of bed and go to the ortho's wearing jammies and not having brushed my teeth since they'll take off the ligs, have me brush, then he'll come by to have me "open, bite, open, bite, okay." Is that gross if I brush before bed and don't brush right before my appointment?

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

Depends on how bad your morning breath is :lol: As for the jammies, if you wear them with confidence I'm sure you can pull it off as a new fashion trend.

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

My morning breath has the faint smell of grape flouride rinse. SO it's somewhat pleasant if one likes grape.

cssteam904

#8 Post by cssteam904 »

personally, i would brush before going. but the jammies....go for it

CSSTEAM

Miss Smiley

#9 Post by Miss Smiley »

Ok, we've reached a compromise. Jammies and fresh breath? Eventhough I would like to stick with "I just rolled out of bed, literally" as my theme.

Miss Smiley

#10 Post by Miss Smiley »

I figured that the shower could wait until after my appointment and some breakfast. Coffee not so much my thing. But I will be having some curry tonight since I can risk the neon color for less than 12 hours. I was thinking of getting bright pink bottoms and sliver uppers....

Miss Smiley

#11 Post by Miss Smiley »

I have smoke/grey right now and it has done a fantastic job. I'm just worried about what the curry aftermath will be.

Lisa65

#12 Post by Lisa65 »

I found that the bright pink went a horrible peach shade after a curry :( purple was good though.

Miss Smiley

#13 Post by Miss Smiley »

hm...so many decisions. What color ligs, should I wear jammies, should I brush my teeth, should I bring my sonicare? I would normally use the toothbrushes there but they just don't seem as fresh. :?

Lisa65

#14 Post by Lisa65 »

It's Sunday morning in the UK! how long do I have to stay up in order to find out what happened? :lol:

Miss Smiley

adjustment update

#15 Post by Miss Smiley »

*sigh* I chickened out and ended up giving my ivories a good scrubbin. As to jammies, it was too cold in the morning to run out in jammies so I opted for jeans and a thermal long sleeve. BUT! I did not brush my hair!

The adjustment itself was not as interesting. I got silver ligs on the upper and pink ligs and power chains on the lowers. One of the assistants asked if she could test out the stain resistance of glow in the dark ligs so I said sure, as long as it wasn't in the front and my teeth weren't going to be glowing under blacklights. No new wire, but I think next adjustment I will be getting my crazy molar added so he'll need to use a new wire.
I HAVE PICTURES! :lol: I forgot to take the pre b-day pics and keep forgetting to ask the office to send them to me. It's horrible how one can have such horrible teeth and multiple restorations only to do ortho tx on them.

May 7, 2007 Smoke ligs

May 19, 2007 Silver and pink ligs/powerchains

May 20, 2007 Look at those powerchains at work!

Oh and if you are wondering what those long rubbery looking things on the wire are, it's just a rubbery tubing that covers bare spaces of the arch wire. They put it there because it tends to irritate and leave wire ridges in your mouth. Since it's hard to keep wax on bare wire, they just put a piece of tubing and give it a little space for movement. Let me tell you how much of a lifesaver it is! They only downside, it's not stain resistant.
Last edited by Miss Smiley on Mon May 21, 2007 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.