Sonicare Toothbrush...Worth it?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

msorchid

#31 Post by msorchid »

I have the Sonicare Elite and love it too. It does wonders to my teeth. Everyone's noticed how clean and bright my teeth are. I got mine at COSTCO for a pretty good deal.

momof2grlz

#32 Post by momof2grlz »

I got my Sonicare Elite the day I got braces. It took a little getting used to, but now I wouldn't be without it. I use a manual TB at work after lunch and my teeth just don't feel as clean. I know I could carry the Sonicare with me, but that's just way too organized!

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Dodger(UK)

#33 Post by Dodger(UK) »

I've just ordered a Sonicare from Ebay. It's the Elite 7881 model, and it cost me 82 squidders.

Now all I need to do, is get one of them dentakits instead of carrying my toothbrush and toothpaste to work in a plastic freezer bag. :lol: :roll:

Clough

#34 Post by Clough »

[One thing I note though is that you chaps in America pay a lot less for your sonicare brushes. Mine cost £62 each and these are the fairly basic model, not the latest ones. The replacement brush heads are really expensive too]

Yes, I've noticed this as well. I'm Irish but I'm actually living in the Netherlands. I've seen it advertised here for 129Euro on average. Actually I saw it advertised this evening. It was reduced from 169 to 129Euro. I'm not sure what it would cost in Ireland.I think its a little strange.
I don't mind spending it, if its really worth. I just wonder if there's a major difference between a regular electric toothbrush and the sonicare?

Dodger(UK)

#35 Post by Dodger(UK) »

It's true what they say about the Sonicare - I don't know about all the technology with sonic brushing etc.. but it sure does work.

I've had my Sonicare for 2 weeks now and it really does deep clean your teeth and leave them pristine. Also I had the tendacy to scrub quite hard with a manual toothbrush, and doing that 3 times a day, was not good for my recession on my canine's, but with a sonicare you softly massage your teeth, and you feel better for it. :D

Ebay sell them cheaper, than anywhere else I know of. My 7881 model would have cost £159.00 in the high street.

KittyW

Nothing better!

#36 Post by KittyW »

I'm on my 3rd Sonicare in 10+ years (none of them broke or wore out, I just wanted the "newer" models over the years). I upgraded to the Elite this year and LOVE it. Once you've used a Sonicare, you will never go back to an ordinary toothbrush. I swear by mine. Worth every penny paid for it. I look at the cost as an investment in my teeth.

If you can, buy the Elite model. The brush head is smaller and it seems to do a more thorough job than the older models.

I can promise you that if you buy one, you will NOT be disappointed! :D
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

bbsadmin

#37 Post by bbsadmin »

Dodger(UK) wrote: My 7881 model would have cost £159.00 in the high street.
I love how you UK people say "the high street." It's so....ENGLISH! :wink: Makes me want to go have a spot of tea or some fish-n-chips!!!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

cdwright

Brushing with braces

#38 Post by cdwright »

bbbsq11 wrote:How do you brush with braces on??? I am clueless! I don't have braces yet...but, can you brush regularly, or do you have be very careful...can any part of the braces appliances be damaged and come apart?
What I was told:

1) Hold the brush at an angle and brush the gums and top fo the brackets with slow clirular motion.

2) Hold brrush perp and brush the sides of the brackets.

3) Final passs should bee at the 90 degree of the first, brushing the bottom of the brackets as well as the lower portion of the teeth, again in circular motion.

Continue with the little brush that gets in between brackets, flossing, etc.

Hope that helps.

cdwright

A trick i found that works.

#39 Post by cdwright »

gorie wrote:i just bought a sonicare elite 7300 a few days ago, i like it a lot. my problem with it though is that i have a hard time keeping enough toothpaste on it to last ! it's like i have to reapply for each section of my mouth, cuz it just vibrates off, and the braces make it harder to spread the toothpaste !! guess i'll have to get use to that . i doubt it would be as hard if the braces weren't there.
i also have to adjust to the right pressure to apply to my teeth. if i do it too light, i feel like i'm missing too many spots. and if i apply more pressure i am afraid i will ruin something on my braces.

i think it was worth the investment tho i just have to get use to it i think.. i can tell it would clean teeth way better than manual tho
Hey there, I have been using a sonicare for like six years or so and this what has helped me.

Place the toothpaste on the brush and without starting it spread it around your teeth. Really it is very light brushing without turning brush on.
After is it distributed, fire up the brush and go to work.

Dodger(UK)

#40 Post by Dodger(UK) »

That's exactly what I do. :)

merrily

#41 Post by merrily »

I just purchased a sonicare elite and then i saw this review on Target's online pages. I don't know which Oral B model they're talking about. Just in case anyone's interested.

Dental Hygenist Shares the Research April 21, 2004
Reviewer: scvone from Pocatello, ID United States
This is a sad day because I was a Sonicare fan. I recommended it to my patients who needed the extra care and really talked it up because it does help but I just recently went to a continuing education seminar on homecare devices and found my beloved Sonicare was not the one that did the best job according to the research. The research was done by independent folks, was funded independently and was carried out such that the results could be taken seriously (valid results). It was done over a long period of time (over years, not weeks) and on very large groups of people. There were other researchers who compared all the research that has been done with rigorous standards to see what their results were too. In all the research presented, they compared all the electric toothbrushes that were out there and Sonicare did not fare as well as the top of the line Oral B (sorry folks, the most expensive model). The research said that the combination of sonic and rotary action over time (within a month or two of use) demonstrated a greater effect on reduction of plaque and gingivitis scores (the plaque and gingivitis levels were lower for the sonic rotary devices (Oral B) compared to the sonic cradle-rock devices (Sonicare)). I you are on a budget, it is still acceptable to use the battery operated toothbrushes as long as you can change the head, the head spins around and you can either recharge or replace the batteries. The sonic action is the greatest in the Oral B top of the line model and that is what helps reduce tartar and staining. It is worth making the switch. I'm sorry if I burst any bubbles but mine was burst a couple of months ago and the findings were significant enough to spread the news.

londonchick

#42 Post by londonchick »

i'm a convert :lol:

after reading this thread i went out a got a Oral B Sonic complete deluxe and i'm really impressed.

I notice that cost is a big concern with these, especially for us brits. I got mine from a website called www.dentocare.co.uk for £84.99, much better than the high street. The sonicare 7881 that dodger mentions is £85.00 from them. My hygenist gave me their details and i've used them 3 times so far with no problems and all delivered within 48 hours.

I too like the massaging thingy :)

Grace

#43 Post by Grace »

I just bought an Oral-B on Ebay. I chose Oral-B because I like the small brushhead, cheaper price and the brushheads are available in our country (I have't seen any Sonicare in here yet). I love my new toothbrush! My teeth feels really clean.

carol0620

#44 Post by carol0620 »

Hiya all :D

i have 2 power brushes for home and work, sonicare and oral b - 8000 series. personally, i must say, sonicare is my favorite coz its much quiet than oral b. both do a good job, really. =) except one is more expensive than the other.

:P

Braced lower arch on 27-Aug-2004
Upper arch to be on 20-Oct-2005
Found few ankylose teeth :'(

gorie

Re: A trick i found that works.

#45 Post by gorie »

cdwright wrote: Hey there, I have been using a sonicare for like six years or so and this what has helped me.

Place the toothpaste on the brush and without starting it spread it around your teeth. Really it is very light brushing without turning brush on.
After is it distributed, fire up the brush and go to work.
just noticed this reply now, but that's how i ended up solving my problem too. i figured it out hehe :)
braced on 09-22-04