What Foods can you eat with Linguals?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

katia2298

What Foods can you eat with Linguals?

#1 Post by katia2298 »

Hey everyone, I got my linguals yesterday and I have pretty much been on a liquid diet because chewing has been arduous. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which foods you find easiest to eat with the braces?? Thanks in advance. This website is super helpful.

BlahBlah

#2 Post by BlahBlah »

Aye . .!!!! :D
Well i was on Liquid food for the first week or 10 days...
My diet consisted of:
Yogurt
Mashed potatoes
Creamed Corn
Jelly
Soup
Chocolate Mousse
Some pasta
And i think that's about it.. lol

I lost a few kilos....
Good Luck and congrats on getting Linguals.. they r the best aye!!!!
:lol:

BlahBlah

#3 Post by BlahBlah »

Oh yeh and some days i just got by on iced coffee and fruit juices... and smoothies etc....
I remember wen i first got them at 4pm they were finished and i had an iced coffee rite after and then i went out and wen i got home it was 10ish and i was so hungry and my mum made me lasagne (my favourite food) and i couldn't bite or chew or anything...omg i was so hungry for 1 week.. and some days i was just swollowing big chunks of food cos i couldn't be bothered cutting them into tiny pieces anymore lol
Once i couldnt take it anymore and i was about to call up my orthodontist and say "I'm hungryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" :lol:

Ruby Tuesday

#4 Post by Ruby Tuesday »

Hi . .!
I have had linguals for about 4 months now and my diet is still rather limited. I know that others on this board say that they eat just about anything, but I don't feel bad for admiting that this is not the case for me.. Some times are better than others and I have gone for weeks on end not eating solids. At the moment, I can eat most things but I avoid anything that needs biting into (ice cream cones etc); tough stuff like steak and calamari; and surprisingly lettuce and asian greens such as been shoots etc.

I have lots of smoothies, wet dishes like lasagne etc. Also, here in Australia, we have a breakfast drink that fills you up. I always keep some of those in the fridge at work so I know I always have something on hand.

Anyhow, I think that you can always get around it, but I don't mind admitting that I am certainly not eating normally.

Cheers
Trixie

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Trixie, you might find that by trying a bit of steak, calamari and other so called chewy foods, you get more used to doing this with braces and eventually it will not be a problem for you. I can't see why lettuce/salad greens are a problem, other than they tend to leave "deposits" in braces. It is important that you don't let braces stop you having a balanced diet.

antsika

#6 Post by antsika »

Hi . ., for 3 weeks since I got my linguals I couldn't eat any solid food. I was eating just soups and mashed potatos. Since than I am almost able to eat anything but I still cannot bite into the food. So I eat hamburgers and pizza with knife and fork, and cut up everything to bites. And if I eat something hard I chew slowly and carefully in order not to break my brackets.

Upper and lower Evolution linguals
B-day: 30. 06. 2006
Treatment time app. 2 years

katia2298

#7 Post by katia2298 »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your suggestions. You were all so kind to take the time to answer me. Hearing that you have had similiar experiences has made me feel sane. I am tempted to order the ortho to pry t hese bad boys off and its only Day 4. Knowing that you guys polwed through the torture gives me hope! So thanks again and good luck to all of you!! :P

jake

#8 Post by jake »

. .- I had an appointment on day3 and was so close to having the ortho rip them out and forgetting the whole idea. You are definitely not alone with that. Stick it out, you'll get used to everything.

katia2298

#9 Post by katia2298 »

Thanks Jake, I am trying to remain optomistic here, I really am!! The support of all the nice people in here has definately helped a ton. You guys are giving me hope!! :o)

Ruby Tuesday

#10 Post by Ruby Tuesday »

Thanks for the advice Lionfish! Was thinking after posting my reply that it may have been a bit negative, I think we all have up and down days. That was certainly a down day for me - today is an up day!

Yes, I have tried both calamari and steak, both once would almost certainly be fine in the privacy of your own home, and perhaps out and about too. I must admit that usually things are pretty good and as long as food is in small enough pieces there is no problem.

I don't think my nutrition and suffered, but I do sometimes get a bit concerned that people may feel a bit of dismay if they are not able to eat everything all the time. Without wanting to criticise all the wonderful positive comments and advice on here, I just like to acknowledge that it is not 100% positive for everyone all the time.

Was just thinking today though about how increadibly happy I am with my decision to get the lingual braces. There can be some trials and tribulations, but worth every bit!

Trixie!

katia2298

#11 Post by katia2298 »

No worries Trixie. I just appreciate your honesty. I'd rather someone be straight with me than sugar coat things. I'm glad you are feeling better! :P[/b]