Smile Like You Mean It-Rebelda's Story: Upd. Sep. 16!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rebelda

Smile Like You Mean It-Rebelda's Story: Upd. Sep. 16!

#1 Post by Rebelda »

I'll introduce myself:
I am "Rebelda". Just a screen name I picked up many many moons ago. I will be having treatment at Jacksonville University. My ortho is Dr. Rice--he's really cool btw. He's still learning and I believe I'll be one of his first handful of patients. I am trying to correct a Class III Underbite with lots of crowding. My midline is also way off--which is probably not a big surprise. As a child, my mom couldn't afford health insurance, so our dental hygiene was almost null. I barely remember going to the dentist at all as a child--maybe twice? Yeah, it was bad and that's why my teeth are so bad. So, I'm all grown up at the ripe age of 23 and have decided to get braces and fix this underbite that has been bothering me for as long as I can remember. I'll be undergoing surgery at the Navy hospital here in Jax as well. Yes, I am enlisted in the Navy. Been in for over 5 years and I love it. Anyhoo, very excited to finally get all this taken care of now that I have the opportunities.

My journey is slowly coming into view. I get spacers put in on Tuesday, Jan 16th. Braces are getting put on a week later. Just a question right now: What essentials should I pick up now? Tips/pointers will be very much appreciated.

Let the pain begin. :)
Last edited by Rebelda on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 34 times in total.

cowlypso

#2 Post by cowlypso »

Congrats!!! You will probably be getting a "goody bag" of stuff from your ortho either when you get your spacers or when you get your braces.

When you get your spacers, you aren't going to have to change much except you can't floss between those teeth. They can be painful, although a few people don't have any pain with them. I had spacers a week and a half ago, and I really couldn't chew much of anything at all. Soup, oatmeal, yogurt, muffins, mac and cheese... Towards the end of the week I started getting a little braver and was able to chew on some very soft crackers. But be ready with the soft foods. It wasn't a constant pain, though. Only when I tried to chew.

Last Thursday I got my braces on the bottom (still have spacers on the top, will get those braced next Thursday). My back teeth feel so much better not having the spacers in there. I can chew a lot more. Of course, now my front teeth are sore...

Anyway, as far as what you absolutely need for when you get your braces...
-travel toothbrush and toothpaste (for brushing after eating when you aren't at home)
-floss threaders or stiff-ended floss (I'm using oral b superfloss, which I like)
-a proxy brush, interdental brush, or christmas tree brush (little brush to get into small places)
-good quality lip balm
-orthodontic wax

Your ortho will probably provide you with wax, some floss samples, a proxy brush, and a travel toothbrush. All of those things can be found at your local drug store or supermarket in the dental section, too.

Other things that can be helpful to have are an electric toothbrush, a little kit to keep your toothbrush and other away-from-home supplies in, and a waterpik or something similar.

There's really nothing that you absolutely have to run out and buy right away, though. Enjoy your last few days of eating whatever you please with no complicated clean-up. I went on a horrible candy binge. Just have fun with this. You're doing something great for yourself, so go in with a positive attitude and enjoy it.

Rebelda

Gracias!

#3 Post by Rebelda »

Thank you so much for responding. Very good information.

Time to go shopping! :D

Rebelda

Thank you once again...

#4 Post by Rebelda »

Linda21 and KK:

Some more good tips--thank you both! I have already started gathering my goodies...I like to be prepared. I do think I am going to get a separate little bag for when I go out. The whole brushing in public doesn't really phase me. The only thing that really worries me right now is my husband. He thinks I'm going to be a horrible mess once this whole thing starts. I just hope they give me some really good meds.... :wink:

mayday

#5 Post by mayday »

It might help to take some Tylenol before your appointment, so that the meds kick in before most of the pain (if any).

It might hurt to chew some food, so be generous to your mouth. Then again, I hated not being able to eat what I wanted so I tried my best to chew. I'm not sure if this helped, but it seemed to make the soreness go away faster.

Good luck and congratulations!

Rebelda

Update...

#6 Post by Rebelda »

So I went in on the 16th, and all I got was another piece of paper...how frustrating! However, it's a good thing though. My orthodontist and surgeon need to get together and get a game plan going (I will be having orthognathic surgery after the braces). So now I have an appointment to see a surgeon on the 1st of February. I hate delays. I was so excited to start treatment and then this. It's for the best though, so I understand that part. I did find out some good news while I was at the Orthodontist office...my treatment "supposedly" is going to be way less then what was originally accessed. Instead of taking out teeth, they're gonna reshape my originals and go from there...details are a little sketchy right now. I will have to wait to see the surgeon for more info on what he plans to do. Till then, I will be patiently waiting--sorta....

***bought a Denta-Kit today...***

...oh yes, and I'm on day 18 of being smoke-free!!! yay me! :dance:

Sumendoza

#7 Post by Sumendoza »

Rebelda,

I've had my braces for a week now and trust me it's been hard to get used to not eating what I really want; but slowly I am adding foods to my list; and I am finding new ways to prepare food :D
I was afraid my husband was not going to like me with braces... to my surprise he thinks I look super cute and he even said I look younger :lol: Don't worry, he'll get used to it.
Follow ALL the tips above; I have and it's been wonderful.
Enjoy your braces, take pictures and keep us posted! :computer:

Rebelda

Update...

#8 Post by Rebelda »

It's been a couple of weeks...I finally got to see my OS and it was pretty much pointless. He simply said yes we can do it and go back to your orthodontist. Boy was I NOT pleased. Apparently my orthodontist called my OS a week prior to me seeing him, however my OS failed to call him back. The whole thing was pointless! They still have to meet/talk about my treatment plan. I am scheduled to go in on the 6th for more molds and pictures. Arrrggggghhh! :x

Anyhoo...no need to stay mad--still making progress. Here is some eye candy for you guys--not the best pics, but they'll work. Still mastering the art of "macro".

Last edited by Rebelda on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rebelda

#9 Post by Rebelda »

Thank you, KK!! I definitely needed some encouraging words. I really do have high hopes for the outcome of all of the procedures. However, lately I've been "over-thinking" it and becoming a bit scared. I guess I just need to take things one step at a time. I just want to get started...*sigh*

Rebelda

MOLDS, MOLDS, MOLDS...

#10 Post by Rebelda »

Some progress:

Went in on the 6th for molds....then again yesterday for more molds. Apparently the first one broke or wasn't quite right--i dunno. That is one downfall with having "students" work on your teeth. Yes, students--I am having my work done at Jacksonville University. It's cheap, but it seems like it may take longer to get done. Anyway...so I guess the last set of molds were good enough and I am on my way to a better bite. My orthodontist has yet to meet with my OS; is scheduled for an appearance sometime on or after the 21st. We'll see how that goes. As you can probably tell I'm a little down, but not too much. I have hope--slowly, but surely this thing will turn out. Stay tuned.... :roll:

Rebelda

This deserves a post of its own:

#11 Post by Rebelda »

I'm on day 44 of being smoke-free!!! :dance:

smallbutmighty

#12 Post by smallbutmighty »

Good for you, Rebelda!! This is probably one of the most important things you have done for your overall health. And a good bite will be another huge benefit. Best of luck and hope all goes more smoothly from now on.
Ruth :D

Rebelda

Last night I dreamt...

#13 Post by Rebelda »

Is it normal to dream about getting braced???

Well let me tell you guys that I've had like 3 or 4 dreams about the fateful day. It feels like such a tease! My first dream: I went into the ortho's office and found a new guy. Not my ortho but somebody else. He was just to supposed to do more check ups or something. Next thing I know I have braces on! The guy sends me off without a word. No words of dos and don'ts. No pamphlet--nothing. Crazy, I know. My dreams are never normal. So...I have them on and I'm rediculously excited. However, I am also very hungry--so I eat. I eat whatever I want. Well, needless to say that isn't the thing to do in real life and it wasn't the thing to do in my dream either. As I am in mid-chew...I feel these floating objects in my mouth! "What the? Oh hell--you've got to be kidding me!" Yeah, the brackets come off 'cause they weren't set yet--it was terrible. I could so vividly feel them in my mouth,..it was crazy! I was relieved when I woke up the next morning to find that it was all a dream But the I think, "what if that happens in real life?" That would be my luck too...geez. This has been my life this past week or so. Vivid dreams. Curse and a blessing all at the same time.

Well, getting back to reality--ortho meets OS manana, hopefully. I'm anxiously awaiting a phone call...

Thank you all for your support this past month...still smoke-free 51 days! Although I must say I have gained a couple of pounds...that's the part that I was dreading. More of a reason for me to get braced! Still working out like a maniac, so that should help. Anyhoo...update later in the month hopefully with good news. :)

Rebelda

#14 Post by Rebelda »

Still waiting...called my ortho last Tuesday to see if he even met with the OS yet. Still nothing. He said he was "trying" to get an appt later in the week. So the week passed and still nada. Hopefully this week will bring better news. *fingers crossed* On a brighter note, I am taking a photography class, so I'll have some better pictures to post up once I get braced. Still figuring out my camera functions...Let's hope my next post will be a good one.

And....still being a good girl with the smokes! Losing the excess weight too :dance:

-Michael-

#15 Post by -Michael- »

Dreaming about getting braced? Totally normal!

I had steak on the second night after getting braces. Sure it took 45 minutes to cut it up into nearly swallowable pieces but I wanted some steak. :D

Welcome to the boards!

Use wax soon as you get them put on. Just take a strip of the wax they give you, mash it a little so that it's fairly flat, and then wrap it along the bottom part of the brackets next to your gum. That will save some serious wear-and-tear on your gums. Then, a few weeks into things, your gums will start to toughen up and you probably won't need wax after that.

-Michael-