# of Consults

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dimeech

# of Consults

#1 Post by dimeech »

Just wondering why so many people just had 1 consultation and stayed there. I live in the US, and do not have ortho insurance, but since consults are free, I've been to 5. My decision isn't finalized, but I'm pretty sure it will #3 that I will stick with.
:)

karebear46168

#2 Post by karebear46168 »

I only had one and the consult fee was 150.00, then 95.00 for the pictures/xrays/impressions. I have no ortho coverage on my dental insurance, but my orhto is going to see if my health insurance will cover any of it since it is realated to my TMJ problems. My orhto was highly recommended by my TMJ dentist because the ortho has experience with TMJ issues.

Higgy

#3 Post by Higgy »

You had to PAY for a consult?? Geesh, maybe I'm lucky, but at my consult with the orthodontist I chose, they did all the xrays, pictures, etc...had a detailed treatment plan and the cost....all for free....if I had decided not to go with them, I would have payed NOTHING.

karebear46168

#4 Post by karebear46168 »

It seems that lots of people here had free consults, how lucky for them. I did luck out for the 150.00 though, thye gave me the wrong date & time for the appointment & since it was their error they waived that fee, bad side...I had to go back for the xray appt at a later date (they were supposed to do them the same day) oh well....saved me 150.00!

SDFD TSchott

#5 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I've gone to *FOUR* consults before I chose the ortho I'm with now!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

dimeech

#6 Post by dimeech »

My dentist (who I had just starting seeing at the time; 6 months ago) referred me to two orthos. One does Damon, metal, and ceramic, and the other was good, too. Then I asked co-workers who they used (one had a son in braces last year and the other's wife is currently braced). I saw one of those teo, and then temporarily decided to go with Damons and saw another who ONLY does Damons and is Board Certified. Guess that's why the estimate was about $1000 more than the other Damon ortho.
Yeah- considering I did ALOT of research here and by talking to people I know I was able to "weed out" the less desirable offices. Not that the Dr's were so different or anything, but charges and what's not included at some offices (like retainers, treatment for one year after braces come off, etc.). Only one of the offices I went to included records, and fees ranged from $150 to $300. This did NOT include the down payment of $267 to $700. Only one office included a Rotadent with free replacement heads and fluoride treatments while in braces. They also were more expensive, and so I ultimately decided not to go there.

dimeech

#7 Post by dimeech »

There were two offices where they did not even give or send me a written detailed evaluation of my teeth. One mailed one a few days after the appt., and one gave a really nice (and thorough) explanation of averything, and included a large booklet that was chock full of good information. One of the offices actually "herds" the children in by calling off a bunch of names and the kids run up and grab their clipboards. Then, the chairs are in a semi-circle and the doc stands in the middle and waits for an assistant to call him over when necessary... I'm 31 and didn't mind the kids too much, BUT I seriously did NOT appreciate the "ambience"! I am soo glad that I kept seeing other places after that, or else I think I would've been really upset about my decision later!

Aquagirl910

#8 Post by Aquagirl910 »

Hmmmm, for me, I went to three orthdontists. I picked one, and unfortunately that turned out not so good. He was good at first, but after a year, nothing had happened, so we left. Then, I went to an ortho that many many people have recommended to me, and he turned out to be great!

Now in Hawley retainers 24/7 for a year!

maple

#9 Post by maple »

My ortho came highly recommended by my dentist and the hygienist that works at the dentist's office. I had my first free consultation and he seemed great. I waited almost a year to go back to the office and get my braces done. I had to think about it all, plus money was an issue .

Once my braces were put on, I learned more about my ortho. He is a well known ortho in the field and he teaches at the University. He also uses self ligating brackets that he developed (the in-ovation type made by GAC). These are the braces I have. I am feeling lucky about my choice.

Sbebs

#10 Post by Sbebs »

I only had one consultation but I know if things don't work out well there are many well known/liked orthos in town. I think its a good idea to find a back up, or at least ask around. Dental staff are a great resource since they see the work done by the orthos and hear about the complaints/compliments.

thesallymonster

#11 Post by thesallymonster »

I went to three consultations, all free, and I chose the third ortho. He was actually recommended to me by a fellow Archwired member in my area! I found the first two orthos by clicking their websites links on ADA's online dentist search (I don't have a general dentist here in PDX yet to recommend me to an ortho, as I've only lived here for about a year and a half).

The third consultation included two free x-rays, unlike the first two orthos. The ortho was extremely patient and thoroughly explained exactly what the treatment options were and the specific advantages and disadvantages of each one. The staff were incredibly friendly and very talkative and helpful. I decided right then and there at the consultation that that ortho was the one, and had my records done immediately. This was also the only ortho who gave me mounds and mounds of paperwork copies detailing every little thing that happened at the consult and records.

Good luck with making the right choice! I'm personally glad I did not choose the first ortho, because then I wouldn't have known about the other options.

JumpTheDitch

#12 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I only had the one consult as well, a guy my dentist referred me to. I realise now I should have been to a few, but here in Aus consults aren't free (at least mine wasn't), plus it never ocurred to me to use someone other than my (lovely) dentist's recommendation. Plus it would have felt a bit odd, like going off and finding your own heart surgeon after being referred to one by your GP!

I've since found out he has great deal of training and experience in both Australia and the US, and is heavily involved in teaching, being on the board of Orthodontics at one of the top Universities in the country (which is reassuring).

Unfortunately communication is not one of his strongest points, and it's a bit of a swing door affair at the office, but overall so far so good. I think he's confident in what he's trying to acheive and how, he's possibly just not overly inclined to share the hows and wherefores with his patients.

All in all I wish I'd just been more confident and forthcoming with my initial consult, becoming more involved in my own treatment might have been easier.

snaggletooth steve

#13 Post by snaggletooth steve »

Four here and I'm glad I did. Between the first three, I had picked two but there were issues of concern with both. Hated to take more time from busy professionals but decided it would be worth giving the 4th and final a chance. Once I got past the waiting room I knew where I needed to be. Making great progress so far with #4.

steve

jennielee81

#14 Post by jennielee81 »

I only had one consult. I went with this ortho because he had a very conservative plan for me. His plan didn't include extractions or headgear (biggest fears) also told me I could keep my wisdom teeth.

My kid's ortho did look at my teeth and bite once and mentioned he could straighten them easily after I had 4 extractions. :yikes: Not officially a consult, but I didn't like his "unofficial" plan so I never considered him.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

maple

#15 Post by maple »

I can relate Jump. I sort of went along with the process and I wish I had asked more questions before I started treatment. However, I don't have much to complain about. The ortho seems confident and as I said he is very well recommended.