Essix retainers - how long do they last?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joney

Essix retainers - how long do they last?

#1 Post by joney »

I saw a message posted here viewtopic.php?t=14528 and it got me worried for my eldest daughter who has been out of braces for over a year.

My main concern was that they had been told that Essix retainers have a limited lifespan.

My daughter has been wearing the same Essix retainer nighty as instructed but she feels that it is not effective anymore. It feels more maleable than previously and is discoloured. She is terrified that her teeth will get crooked again and I know from reading the posts on this site that many people here are in their second round of braces.

I have been told that post brace I will most likely get an Essix retainer.

Should they be replaced annually or only when they crack or look obviously worn?

Hope some of you knowledgable people know the answer to this one.

I will mention it to the ortho when I get my brace fitted but curiousity is getting the better of me now.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Joney

KittyW

#2 Post by KittyW »

I just had a new Essix made this week. My first one cracked after less than 5 months. The woman at my ortho's office who made the Essix told me that they typically last about 6 months before they crack and they DO loosen up over time. She did mention that mine cracked sooner than typical and they gave me my new one free of charge (plus a bonus retainer, so I got 2!). When she asked me to put the new ones in my mouth, WOW they were TIGHT! It felt good tho.

My advice would be to talk to your ortho. I was going to need a new Essix anyway due to dental work up top, but to be candid, a new one only costs $40, so if the retainer feels loose or looks discolored, why not spring for a new one? Better than worrying about your teeth moving after all of that hard work getting them straight! :D
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

joney

#3 Post by joney »

Thanks KittyW

I'll ask the ortho about a new one for my daughter. They cost £50 here so a bit more expensive, but worth it.

Regards
Joney

lizav353

Essix retainers - how long do they last? - Fixing a crack?

#4 Post by lizav353 »

I'm really surprised at the prices that you are saying the replacement are! My ortho told me it would cost me $300 to replace my Essix retainers. I just got my braces off about a month ago and I just found a crack on the retainer today. :cry: So far, they said it was ok to wear but I know it will only be a matter of time until they break. Any advise on how to fix the crack?

Thanks!
Liza

TimSeattle

Re: Essix retainers - how long do they last? - Fixing a crac

#5 Post by TimSeattle »

lizav353 wrote:I'm really surprised at the prices that you are saying the replacement are! My ortho told me it would cost me $300 to replace my Essix retainers. I just got my braces off about a month ago and I just found a crack on the retainer today. :cry: So far, they said it was ok to wear but I know it will only be a matter of time until they break. Any advise on how to fix the crack?

Thanks!
Liza
$300 sounds exorbitant! I think that most orthodontists charge under $100. The $40 someone else mentioned sounds like the low end price.
"Every tooth in a man's mouth is more valuable than a diamond" Don Quixote

Braces On: 5/2004
Braces Off: 3/2007

mtbrncofn

#6 Post by mtbrncofn »

If you're a grinder, it doesn't take long to grind holes through them. It took me 3 months to grind through my bottom Essix. However, I don't have one on top right now because of the rebracing. I noticed, I got through it a lot quicker with nothing protecting the top teeth.

When I had both retainers in. It took me about 6 months to ruin them.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Zameera

#7 Post by Zameera »

around 6 months!
don't worry if you have lost your old essix or cracked it (which as I said will take around 6 months), I have found the solution where you can get the 2nd one at US $87 (available worldwide)! I haven't try it yet but if you guys are interested, PM me! I can't tell you in here as it will count as spamming!

bracesmom

#8 Post by bracesmom »

I don't know how to deal with a cracked essex retainer but my dh's hawly has broken too. In fact as a teen he'd broken a couple of them. So now he's passed 30 and I thought this wouldn't be an issue. We have just expected that retainers will need replacing regardless of the kind they are. perhaps having the ortho make a thicker one might help to prevent premature cracking? I'm tempted to ask for both kinds of retainers to be honest. Our ortho also charges about 300 for the set of essex ones.
Advocating for our nation's waiting children at Adoptive Parents Network

tictac

#9 Post by tictac »

My ortho told me my Essix should last around 3 years. I don't believe it though.

mtbrncofn

#10 Post by mtbrncofn »

Whaaaatttt??? :shock: What is he smokin'?!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

bracesmom

#11 Post by bracesmom »

I knew my ortho's assistant wasn't right. I was told some people have them for years too before needing to be replaced. One gal said 12 years :roll: . I have a 1mm on my upper and a standard one on my lower (very thin) I don't see the lowers lasting like the upper one.
Advocating for our nation's waiting children at Adoptive Parents Network