New to the braces community (with pics)

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

M1k3y

New to the braces community (with pics)

#1 Post by M1k3y »

For many years I've always wanted braces because I just love a beautiful smile especially on women. The way I see it is that I am so focus on a beautiful smile that it has me drawn to that person so I would love that type of response in return. When I was younger my parent could not afford braces for me so I took it upon myself to get braces as soon as I got dental insurance. Fast foward to my age at 27 and now I have stepped up to the plate. For years I was able to get away with a not so perfect smile because of my full lips. Normally I smile like:

...but I always wanted to show my teeth but wouldn't dare to do so. Girls would tell me that they liked my smile either way but I was never fully happy with it. My orthodontist says that my situation was a case I/type I(whatever it's called) and that it would only take me 18 months give or take depending how my teeth respond. I was totally stoked and ready to do whatever it takes. In the past 2 months I've had my teeth filled, all 4 wisdom teeth removed and teeth cleaned. I finally got my braces on May 27, 2006. This is what my teeth look like now. This is my 5th day with the braces on. Brace yourself! :?

I have a pretty high threshold for pain so it was not bad at all. If anything I have 800mg of Ibuprofren and Vicodin :shock: that was prescribed to me when I had my wisdom teeth removed. These bad boys will come in handy when I have my first of many adjustments. Overall the experience has been unique and I am taking it all in stride. I'm just happy that I'm on my way to a striking smile. I work just 5 minutes away from work so it is very convenient for me to brush my teeth during my lunch hour. I love my dental insurance as I only paid $220.00 for my wisdom teeth extractions as the total price was just shy of $1000.00. My braces costs me $2100.00 total without my insurance adjustment. I know you guys are wondering how the heck I got this price. I live in South Texas at the tip near the mexican border and there are many awesome doctors across the border. For my teeth cleaning and other dental related issues I go to my dentist here in the states. For my braces I go to Mexico with my orthodontist. So yes I am one lucky guy. I will be keeping track of my progress so feel free to check in from time to time. I love this forum as it has given me so much confident.

P.S.
Once my braces are removed I will get my teeth whitened by laser for just $80.00 in Mexico. 8) Awesome!!!!

-Mikey :D

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I play softball year in and year out so I wanted to wear a mouthguard for protection and this is what I use just in case any of you might need one. It's by a brand called ShockDoctor and this is specially made for athletes with braces.

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Your teeth look pretty good to begin with. I'm sure you'll see some rapid progress!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

sjsarre

#3 Post by sjsarre »

Hey congrats on getting braced..

Your teeth will look great... Let me know how you find the white coloured wire.. I'm considering having one to attend a wedding as a bridesmaid later on this year!!!

:D

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Groovy mouthguard!

weird_wired

#5 Post by weird_wired »

Those starting out pics are great - really clear. You will find them very useful (and encouraging) later on, as things start to change. I recommend taking regular pics - at least every month - even if you think nothing is happening, because it almost certainly will be.

Also the lower teeth can have a useful habit of moving very quickly, so watch for change there!

M1k3y

#6 Post by M1k3y »

Thanks guys. This is really encouraging and I'm really excited as I've always wanted braces so it makes thing much easier for me since I've accepted them with much love. :lol:
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08

jaxxie118

#7 Post by jaxxie118 »

Congrats on getting braced!! And that's awesome about the lower costs in Mexico. I hope the time flies by quickly for you and welcome to the forum! :D
Metal uppers & lowers + 1 tooth pulled
Estimated treatment time: 18 months

moonchick

#8 Post by moonchick »

Hi M1k3y! It's awesome to hear that you're getting a great deal on your braces. And I just noticed, I got my braces the same day as you! :D My treatment time is expected to be a little longer, two years. Please keep me updated on your progress!

jennandtonic

#9 Post by jennandtonic »

I'm a little late, but congrats on getting braces! It's a great thing that you are so positive about them, it will probably make your treatment seem to go by really quickly!

belmikry

#10 Post by belmikry »

hey mik3y- any reports?? haven't heard from you in awhile- hoping everything is going well! :)
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

M1k3y

#11 Post by M1k3y »

Sorry I've just been busy with school and work but when I get home tonight after my softball game I promise to post up updated pics. :D

Debranded 3-20-08

M1k3y

#12 Post by M1k3y »

I got an update finally.

viewtopic.php?t=14362

Debranded 3-20-08

Loren2006

Looks great to begin with...

#13 Post by Loren2006 »

Your teeth looked pretty good to begin with, and i'm sure in no time they will be where you want them to be so that in the future you canb give the ladies that gorgeous smile you have been wanting to give :D . Keep us updated and take care..Loren

M1k3y

#14 Post by M1k3y »

I appreciate the kind words Loren. Nice costume you got there. :P

Debranded 3-20-08

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#15 Post by nahky »

You'll have an awesome smile in no time. Thanks for posting baout the mouthguard. I was thinking baout getting something like that.

I want to take up mixed martial arts class and definately need something of the sort. Do you rekcon you can wear it after your braces come off mikey? Or buy a new one? Where'd you get it from? Did you hafta mould it yourself or the ortho?

Cheers :P
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007