Expander

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

artist_appeal_791

Expander

#1 Post by artist_appeal_791 »

Ok this doesnt have to do with braces lol but I have questions!
I'm 15 and I'm getting my expander in 3 days Right now I'm not scared but as soon as i get into the orthodonist I will be deathly afraid!!

Here are some Pics Of my mouth so far:

BEFORE

FULL SMILE (thats y i need surgery... if the braces and stuff dont work... gaaa)
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/b ... ers004.jpg

SPACERS ON MY TOP........ 7 in all
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/b ... ers008.jpg

BOTTOM SPACERS..... 4 in all

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/b ... ers007.jpg

Right now I have 7 spacers on the top and 4 on the bottom My right teeth dont hurt anymore but my left have just a tiny bit of pain when I bite on some foods. I hate getting the impressions but I deal with them. I have to get the expander on my top, braces on my top and bottoms, two retainers, and possibly jaw surgery :cry: eeek!

Hopefully My expander goes on with no problems or else my whole experience will be ruined........ *sighs*[/color]

But anyways the questions:
:arrow: Does it hurt when installing the expander?

:arrow: what is the start to finish of putting in the expander?

:arrow: Does it hurt when glueing the bands and when they take the expander off completly?

I hope someone can help me
Thanks! :D

artist_appeal_791

Last edited by artist_appeal_791 on Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

KJM

#2 Post by KJM »

Hey artist_appeal_791! I dont have an expander, but my 9 year old son does, so I can answer some of your questions.

1. No he said it didnt hurt to install the expander at all. The glue tastes gross, but no pain.

2. If I remember correctly ( and I might miss something since I am being worked on at the same time as he is) They did impressions, then spacers like you have- the next appointment they fitted the molar bands- just put them on to get the right size then took them off to solder them to the expander. Next appointment they glued the molar bands on, with the expander attached and turned the key once to show me how to do it. Gave us a list of what not to eat and a packet or wax and that was it. :)

3. No placing the molar bands really doesnt hurt. You sometimes have to bite down on a tool to help push it up and into place but no pain.
I cant answer the removal question since he still has his on.

Overall it wasn't bad, he only had one night that turning the key was uncomfortable. His tongue was a bit sore for a few days but it didnt take long to get used to it. I have attached a pic of his expander so you can see.

Good luck and remember to put some chap-stick on... your lips will thank you later. :D Just do your best to relax, maybe you can bring your i-pod or mp3 player to listen to your music as they work?
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

jenfire

#3 Post by jenfire »

Hi, artist_appeal_791. Congrats on taking this first step. I have had an RPE since March. When I got my expander placed, it was not painful at all. As I remember it, they had first fit bands around the molars and then they put it in without the cement first to see how well it fit. The orthodontist then took the device out and clipped some of the wires at the front to make it more comfortable. When they cemented it into place, I don't recall feeling discomfort. They showed me how to turn the key on the expander (that took a bit of time...they wanted to make sure that I would be able to do it properly). They instructed me to turn it once every 3 days (I'm an adult and didn't need a lot of expansion I guess). I think the whole process probably took about a half hour. Later as the pressure set in, I did take some tylenol. It takes a week or so to get used to talking with the expander (I had a lisp), but many people did not even notice.

Best wishes!

~jenfire
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

Indy

#4 Post by Indy »

Hello
I got my pendex (like an expander) out a few weeks ago so I can help answer your questions. However, it depends on what expander you have. Mine had wires glued to 2 teeth (bicuspids) on each side and I had 1 molar band on each side. So here it is based on my pendex:

1. It doesn't hurt getting it installed. They just glue on the molar bands and wires. My mouth felt crowded after it was in place. Speaking was funny for the first 2 weeks and I salivated a lot. By the end of the first month I was fine.

2. They attach the expander to the molar bands and position it in your mouth. The bands are placed around your molars (may get the yucky glue taste). Next they attach the other wires with glue and use the light thing to harden the glue. And you're done!

3. I was worried about removal as well. But it was actually simple! First they shaved off the glue on my bicuspids down to the wires. Then they saw the wire off from the expander (which made a little pop, but no pain). Then once all wires are cut they remove the expander & molar bands and finish shaving off left over glue. I had no discomfort or pain from the removal.

Hope this helps!! Good luck :thumbsup:

2/24/06-7/1/06: Upper Pendex
7/1/06-9/15/06: Nance
9/15/06- 5/15/07: TPA
9/15/06- Present: Braced

bjmedia

#5 Post by bjmedia »

Weird, I had a mini-implant put in mouth instead of the expander like they originally said I was going to have. Have had it in there since April. Does the same exact thing that an expander does, and is on the outside of the gums versus being on the inside of your mouth. Ask your ortho about this before going w/ the expander option.....

Chris

AnnaC

#6 Post by AnnaC »

Can anyone tell me how difficult/easy it is to turn the expander key yourself (as opposed to having someone else do it for you)?

jenfire

#7 Post by jenfire »

AnnaC, it's really not difficult turning the key yourself. I turned my own. You just have to remember when you line the key thing up with the opening (it's just a small hole) you must apply some pressure and push it all the way in, then keep it steady while turning it back towards your throat. Don't remove the key too quickly or the opening will be partially blocked for the next turn.

Hope this makes sense (it's kind of difficult to explain). Once you do it a couple times, it becomes very easy.
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

artist_appeal_791

#8 Post by artist_appeal_791 »

I have another question!

Was it hard to eat and swallow? I bet it is becuause it feel like your going to swallow the expander.. Hopefully I wont gag :?

I'll tell everybody how It goes.. and hopefully it goes good!

-artist_appeal_791

Last edited by artist_appeal_791 on Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i!i!

#9 Post by i!i! »

I'm 15 and have had my expander in for about a month. I don't know what everyone is talking about, but it hurts when they put on the molar bands, as it did when they fitted them as well. They shove the bands with all their force onto your already soar teeth from spacers.

When you get it on, things to expect are:
-extra salivation
-hard to eat/chew/swallow
-hard to talk
-pain with the first few turns

artist_appeal_791

expander

#10 Post by artist_appeal_791 »

:yikes: oh my goshes tell me about it.. fitting is horrible and get this the lady that does my ortho didnt even know what she was doing.. she was trying to siz bands on my bottom teeth when she hadnt even put spacers in!!

I go tomorrow ant 9:10 am so wish me lucks!

-Alix

Last edited by artist_appeal_791 on Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

artist_appeal_791

Expander on!

#11 Post by artist_appeal_791 »

Well my expander is on now!

It didnt hurt only a little when they fitted to make sure it fitted right, the glueing was ok... it tasted a lil bad but I got over it... my first turn didnt hurt it just felt like a little pressure.. my second turn hurt a tiny bit but now i can eat a lil......mushy instant potatoes that is lol but I'll keep posted as the months go by............1 month turning and 6 months for my bone to grow back....................I'm so dearly excited

but here's a pic of my expander!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/b ... -06001.jpg :P

-artist_appeal_791

Last edited by artist_appeal_791 on Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

artist_appeal_791

Expander!

#12 Post by artist_appeal_791 »

Ok Its been a week of turning... I have one more week of turning and then it gets to heal!

So far nothing has hurt. Turning is a pain because the key sticks to my finger and falls out and then I have to fish around till i find the hole in the back. Yes the bridge of my nose hurts a little but not enough to bother me unless i touch it. I am getting a gap inbetween my teeth. I have seen changes so much in the past week its unbelievable that little thing can do so much!

I dont regret getting It and if anybody is getting one either should you.. but I'm surprised some people had so much pain and I didnt. Everybody is differnt I know I know..

Here is an updated picture of my mouth you can see the gap and how much the expander itself has opened

BEFORE (1ST DAY)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/b ... -06001.jpg

NOW (WEEK 1) 8/30/06

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/b ... eek001.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/b ... eek002.jpg

There you go! I will tell yoy my progress in a week!

Alix

PaulKariya

#13 Post by PaulKariya »

I had the same thing when I was like 9. It's tough when first put on but after awhile you don't realize its in there. BTW Good Luck.

gunter8888

#14 Post by gunter8888 »

Do you turn your key every day?

I only turn mine every 3 days.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

PaulKariya

#15 Post by PaulKariya »

gunter8888 wrote:Do you turn your key every day?

I only turn mine every 3 days.
I think you have to do it once a day or it doesn't work.