flygirlnextdoor -journey toward a pretty smile- w/pictures!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

flygirlnextdoor

flygirlnextdoor -journey toward a pretty smile- w/pictures!

#1 Post by flygirlnextdoor »

I am nearing my 29th birthday, and I had braces applied on January 9, 2006. I should have to wear them for 24 months.

I remember wanting braces in high school. My younger brother had them, but my parents never really offered to have my orthodontic needs met.

As you can see from the first image, my teeth didn't look *that* bad, but my top center incisors were behind the lateral incisors and looked dark. The uppers were crowded and I have a 100% overbite. Although many people have told me they wouldn't have thought I needed braces, I'd always been ashamed of my teeth and wanted them to be straight and pretty.

So far, so good. I've had the top on for a week now, and won't get the bottoms on until sometime in March. I need to have two top premolars extracted before the bottoms can go on and I know already that I'll have to wear rubberbands connected the top to the bottom.

I was a little self-conscious at first, but things seem to be getting better. I've lost 5 lbs in the past week because chewing is less than optimal -- I have 2 bands on the top and 1 on the bottom (they have to put more spacers in on the other side of the bottom because the first go-round with spacers didn't make enough room.) My "beef" with chewing is that I feel the bottom metal band on my top teeth and it's uncomfortable (and I'm afraid of damaging my top molars).

The discomfort has been bearable. I've steered clear of relying on wax and my soft-tissue has already adjusted. I'm ready to see some movement!
Last edited by flygirlnextdoor on Mon May 15, 2006 9:28 am, edited 7 times in total.
Upper braces on: January 9, 2006
Lower braces on: May 8, 2006
2 upper extractions: November 19, 2007
Full metal
Braces off: June 25, 2009
Upper Hawley and lower bonded retainers
3 years 5 months 2 weeks and 2 days in braces

hannah164

#2 Post by hannah164 »

WElcome to this awesome board Flygirlnextdoor! :-1

Congratulations on starting your orthodontic journey! :thumbsup: :dance: :-#) :banana:

Sounds like you have a great attitude! That is what is going to get you through the next year! :)

Glad you haven't been having too much pain! :wink:

Good luck with your journey and keep us posted! :computer:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment was 1/11/06 but now is rescheduled to 1/21/06

Kell

#3 Post by Kell »

Welcome! I'm new to this board too and I'm also from NC. I'm glad to hear that the discomfort is bareable. My braces go on on Thursday and I'm really scared about not being able to eat.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

I got my braces the same time you did!! I am ready to see some movement as well!! I'm glad you're not in too much pain :) All I've felt was pressure but nothing more. As for wax, I'm the same as you...I've used it only once or twice...the inside of my mouth is pretty fine right now but I do feel some pain in my cheeks when I'm eating...

I hope we start seeing some movement soon!!! :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Jesslzz 01

#5 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Welcome flygirlnextdoor!

I have the same b-day date as you and Flora2006, and I think we are now 4! And we can't wait to see some progress :lol:
My "beef" with chewing is that I feel the bottom metal band on my top teeth and it's uncomfortable (and I'm afraid of damaging my top molars).

Yes, I kind of felt the same, but the spacers are worst. I still have the feeling that I might be damaging my molars, ocasionally I hear a small "creak". I asked my ortho about that and he said that is normal, my molars are moving too!. You'll get used to feel all sort of strange things, I can't believe I'm saying this, but is true!

I'll enjoy to keep reading your journal and your progress...keep us updated :D

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

flygirlnextdoor

No more biting metal

#6 Post by flygirlnextdoor »

My "beef" with chewing is that I feel the bottom metal band on my top teeth and it's uncomfortable (and I'm afraid of damaging my top molars).

UPDATE: I saw the ortho this morning, and he shaved down part of the bracket on the band that was hitting my top molar. He said that it may be bothersome for a while until they put a stronger wire on top to move the molars. I haven't tried to eat anything yet, but so far no problems with biting down on metal.
Full metal

flygirlnextdoor

#7 Post by flygirlnextdoor »

No new pictures. I haven't seen much change yet. The orthodontist said I wouldn't see much until the two premolars are extracted and I get a stronger wire. It's only been a little more than 2 weeks since I've had braces... I don't want to be impatient, it's just that I'm excited!

On a happy note: I can chew! No aches or pains and I can chew normally. I'll have my first adjustment on February 6th -- I have soup on hand at home in case it's sore for a few days around the adjustment, but as of now I can pretty much eat normally! Woo-hoo!
Full metal

braceface1230

#8 Post by braceface1230 »

Good job on getting braced. Always exciting to see new people making a leap into something great. I can just imagine how you are; probably checking the mirror every chance you can to see if the braces are really there; to see if there is any bit of change happening. Exciting huh?! Don't worry, you'll be seeing changes in no time. Take lots of pictures. You'll be surprised at how your teeth are changing. Only when you look back at the pics will you see just HOW much they actually are moving.

Thanks for sharing and good luck in your treatment!

flygirlnextdoor

1st Adjustment on Monday!

#9 Post by flygirlnextdoor »

Well, I turned 29 last week. But more importantly: my first adjustment is bright and early Monday morning. I'm ready for the stonger wire to get these teeth moving!
Full metal

Flora2006

#10 Post by Flora2006 »

We got our braces on the same day and we both have our first adjustment on Feb 6th. How cool is that lol

I haven't really seen any changes either although my bite is a bit different so I know there has been some movement.

Happy belated birthday - hope you had a great one :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

flygirlnextdoor

One Month

#11 Post by flygirlnextdoor »

Yesterday was my "monthaversary" and I'll take some pictures tonight when I get home. Alas! I have witnessed some movement!
Full metal

flygirlnextdoor

1 Month Progress

#12 Post by flygirlnextdoor »

Full metal

flygirlnextdoor

2nd Adjustment Coming Up on Monday

#13 Post by flygirlnextdoor »

I've finally seen movement. My wire is too long and is poking out! I'll update with pictures this weekend to mark 2 months in braces.
Full metal

flygirlnextdoor

#14 Post by flygirlnextdoor »

Hi BracedAgain,

I'm to have two premolars extracted from the top and then the braces will go on the bottom. My ortho wants the top straight before he starts working on my bite.
It's fun watching the progress. :)
Last edited by flygirlnextdoor on Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Full metal

flygirlnextdoor

2 month progress

#15 Post by flygirlnextdoor »

After 2 months in braces, I can see some subtle changes, but as soon as I have my extractions, there will be real movement!
Last edited by flygirlnextdoor on Mon May 15, 2006 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Full metal