New Braces at Age 66

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TCCZ

New Braces at Age 66

#1 Post by TCCZ »

This adventure actually started about a year ago. I joked that my teeth always hurt and I guess I now know why. Because of my upper teeth being not as wide as the bottoms, the bottom teeth have slanted inward and they became very crowded. I then broke the roots of two bottom molars one in the back on the right and one next to the last molar on the left and they were extracted. I was going to have implants done but the surgeon and Periodontist would not do the implants until I had my teeth straightened and bite corrected. So I have had 4 bone grafts done this year to correct jaw bone problems and all of them took and are perfect. So I was released to have the braces put on which was done last Wednesday with all brackets and the wire on the top. I have Damon Brackets and a spring installed on my upper teeth. I have to have one lower tooth extracted next week and the bottom wire will be put on the following week. At my consult the Orthodontist said I could expand the upper palate thru surgery and get a great result or go with Plan B and just do braces and get a 95% very good result. As you can see I chose Plan B.

My upper right teeth are very sore but getting better, I was actually able to chew a little last night. I have not had any severe problems with gum sores at this point. I wish previous dentists had sent me sooner but with my parents, aunts and uncles all in the 90's I figured finishing up at 69 still gives my with God willing 20 plus years with a good smile.

TCCZ

Re: New Braces at Age 66

#2 Post by TCCZ »

Just got my dental confirmations for my extraction on Wednesday and teeth cleaning on Thursday, both should be fun now that my teeth are sore and chewing is challenging. My OrthoDots (already loving these) and mouth guard came in today and the mouth guard is very thin and flexible. It covers the top fronts and really cuts down on the irritation. I am not taking any medication for pain since it really only hurts when trying to chew. I am looking forward to the arch wire problems (HaHa) since the bottom tooth protruding way out will fill the space and should move into the space pretty quickly making the arch wire stick out into my cheek.

TCCZ

#3 Post by TCCZ »

After some thought and the number of people who have read my posts so far, I thought I would give you some back round. I would think that many 50 and 60 year old's can identify with this. My teeth have always hurt and I was told I have soft teeth. Over the years with some periods of poor hygiene on my part and not seeing a dentist at times, I had to have so many filings done that I can't count that high. Now since my top teeth and not as wide as my bottoms, over time my bottom teeth were pushed inward and crowding occurred. So began the cycle of breaking a tooth and/or root, I ended up with 14 crowns and 8 root canals. The Orthodontist told me I have an extremely strong bite and due to that, things got worse. In 2016 I broke the roots of my top right back molar and since the roots went into my sinus, they would not do an implant so I did nothing. In 2017 I broke the roots of my bottom right last back molar and since the two spaces were on top of each other and did not affect eating, I again did nothing. Now in mid 2018 I broke the roots of the second from the back molar on my left side bottom and again considered an implant and had the oral surgeon do a bone graph with membrane for the future implant. Now in late 2018 I broke the back of a crown but luckily not the root of the tooth. Can you imagine the force needed to break a crown. I then made the time and was sent to a Periodontist for an evaluation for the implant and after consults with the oral surgeon and an Endodontist, they all agreed it would be a waste of my time and money unless I got my teeth straightened. The first time a dentist actually mentioned braces.

Now I go to see two Orthodontists, the first consult lasts maybe 15 minutes, no x-rays and she looks at my teeth, reads out loud some numbers, says we will pull one tooth and then straighten them. The second Orthodontist recommended by the Periodontist and surgeon because he specializes in adult teeth (remember the crowns) spends a little over two hours, multiple types of x-rays, measurements, pictures, mapping and he gives me a detailed explanation of my problems and two treatment plans. Since both Orthodontist take my insurance, which one do you think I chose. So the plan has been hatched and in early 2019 I have 4 bone graphs to repair some bone loss and to correct a root defect on one of the molars after having deep scaling. The healing time was 8 months and all four graphs took and I was released to have the braces in October 2019. The Orthodontist redid all the x-rays, mapping Etc. a week before my appointment and the Damon braces were put on 11/27/2019 with all brackets put on and an arch wire on the top with springs. I will have a tooth extracted Wednesday, a cleaning Thursday and the following Thursday the bottom wire will be put on. The estimated braces time is 2 years, then 6 to 8 months for the one implant. While the implant below gum implant heals, all of the bottom crowns will be replaced and any tops that are needed. The final implant will then be placed and three months later the crown put on. During this time I will be wearing a temp retainer to prevent movement and once everything is done I will get the final retainer. The estimated adventure time is a little less than 3 years so I will be almost 69 when this is done.

Now some side notes:
* I got an extra physical to make sure I am healthy and since my father passed at 92 and my mother, aunts and uncles are in their 90's, I could have a good 20 plus years of good, straight teeth God willing.

* When I went for the appointment to get the braces, I was anxious about the lip spreader (use lip balm before going) and saliva suction device. What if you have to swallow? Well you can still swallow and I even had a cold with some slight sinus drainage and I was easily able to swallow so relax, it was really no big deal.

* I have tried using the wax but it's a pain since the brackets have to be dry. I tried OrthoDots and they are a God send. The spam spam spam flossers work really well. For the teeth where the wire is really close and the spam spam spam won't fit, I use floss threaders with the end that is stiff since you can push them through the space next to the gum and push the stiff end out with your tongue. It took me 4 days to get use to working backwards in the mirror. You will understand what I mean when you try it.

And finally, I do not regret doing this. I can't change the past but I can change the future. So I hope this helps anyone who may be considering the journey at this age.

Take care.

TCCZ

#4 Post by TCCZ »

Sorry I almost forgot this, everyone who have noticed or I have told that I got braces gave very favorable comments, some even with a note of envy.

TCCZ

#5 Post by TCCZ »

Well tooth #23 was extracted today and the surgeon also confirmed that all of the previous bone graphs are great. My cleaning should be fun tomorrow.

And if anyone is interested I am a male.

mattt

#6 Post by mattt »

Hey! thank you for documenting your journey! And I think you have made a great investment for the future, there's never too late to get a correct bite and aligned teeth!
Will you document your journey with any pictures?

TCCZ

#7 Post by TCCZ »

Sorry, the other pictures were way to big so I posted smaller ones.
DSC_0226 (3).JPG
DSC_0218 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

Best of luck in your journey! I got braces in my early 40s. Now I'm 59 and happy every day that I fixed my teeth.

I'm almost ready to launch a redesign of the main ArchWired wite (archwired.com). Take a look at the old site, because there's a lot of information there that you might find helpful. Most of it will still be there after the re-launch, but in a better more modern format.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

TCCZ

#9 Post by TCCZ »

Thanks for the prompt PM response and I really like this site and the info everyone shares. It has been very helpful in knowing what to expect. I smiled in pain at one post I read that his "teeth were screaming," I could identify.

Regarding the above pics, On the bottom you can see that the crowns have yellowed and will be replaced when the implant crown is done. The one tooth that looks grayish on the right is a composite tooth to allow the braces and will have a final crown when this is done. The tooth had some fractures and they were not sure the tooth would hold up. So the bottom will have 5 crowns when done so that the color will match.

TCCZ

#10 Post by TCCZ »

Well it is Monday and things are really happening. The Orthodontist said to come in today because of the two broken brackets. I mention the upper molar was sensitive on one side when brushing (one with a broken bracket) and he checks it and says it is loose, pulls if off and says it has to be reglued. So off to the regular dentist tomorrow at 11am and if all is good, back to the ortho to get the top wire put back on at 1pm. I can only imagine what the pain level will be after all this. Must remember to get some protein drinks today.

Here is a picture of the bottom wire and springs all over the place.
DSC_0229 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TCCZ

#11 Post by TCCZ »

Well the crown was put back on and the Ortho put the top wire back on with some more springs. My mouth looks like a pogo stick. My next appointment is in 5 weeks so lets hope I have no more problems. I did play it safe and ate right after I got home.

TCCZ

#12 Post by TCCZ »

Well a little update for you. I popped another bracket on a crown Monday and they cleaned the tooth and sanded the crown this time. Since I seem very unlucky in this regard, If I pop any more the Ortho is going to band them to save him and me the time it takes to keep fixing them. Since my bottom and top teeth are already moving back, getting the bands should not be a problem as there seems to be plenty of space between the teeth.

TCCZ

#13 Post by TCCZ »

Hey everyone a little update and I hope everyone had a great and safe Christmas, Hanukkah, etc.

It has been a month now and I have not popped any more brackets, knock on wood. I can see that the top fronts are getting straighter and there are gaps in the top back teeth so flossing is interesting and a challenge. The bottom left front tooth is slowly moving into the extraction site. At any given time every tooth gets sore at some point but nothing requiring medication and eating is much easier. My first tightening is 01/14/2020 so the pain party should begin again. I have lost 7 pounds so far but adjusted my diet so it is stable. As far as missing certain foods, I really miss the potato chips but I replaced them with pie and cake. Life is nothing but trade offs. :lol:

My cheeks have adjusted to the brackets so no wax has been required and no mouth sores to deal with. My lips also have not been as chapped but I still use lip balm just to avoid it. Since it is winter here and the indoor humidity is around 25%, my mouth gets really dry while sleeping and I wake up at night with the brackets stuck to my cheeks and very thick saliva. I therefore got a portable humidifier for the house and my bedroom and increased the bedroom humidity to 35% at night and that has really helped. I have always had sinus problems and allergies so this was to be expected I guess.

I tried numerous toothbrushes and have settle on the GUM Technique Deep Clean toothbrush (soft) since I am really scared of using the Othro V type brushes because of my bracket popping problem.

Well that is all for now and catch up with you after my next appointment.

TCCZ

#14 Post by TCCZ »

Well I am back from my first adjustment. The Ortho stated that the top molars have moved back nicely and they removed the spring on the right top so I can floss easier now. They put more pressure on the top fronts to begin moving the upper lateral teeth backwards and I can feel the pressure so my front top teeth are getting sore instead of the back ones. Trade off I guess.

Regarding the bottom teeth the news was not as good. The Ortho says these are moving very slowly (age) but the gap he wanted on the back teeth was good. He removed the back right spring but increased the spring extension pressure on the all the front teeth so my lower front teeth are getting real sore now. I was smart this time and came home and ate right way. He stressed that I was not to use Ibuprofen or any anti-inflammatory because these drugs slow the movement of teeth. I am only allowed to use Tylenol. When he said my teeth were moving slowly, the immediate thought I had was how much past two years does that mean, ugh.

In either case some good news, not so good news and the journey continues. My next appointment is in 6 weeks so hopefully things get a move on and I will post a pic then if there is some real observable changes.

Take care and until next time.

TCCZ

#15 Post by TCCZ »

Well once week has passed since the adjustment and the springs were changed on my bottom teeth. My teeth are separating now and where flossing around the springs was a challenge, the teeth are moving now, gaps are opening and flossing is easier. A good thing since they are sore. The left bottom canine is now moving and I can feel the gum damning up behind it. I know it's moving since I was able to put my tongue between the teeth and touch the wire and I can't do that now. Flossing is always interesting since the teeth are moving and one day some teeth are really tight and other days there are big spaces. The waterpik is a god send.

I finally settled on my tooth brush which is a Nimbus extra soft since I am brushing 3 to 4 times a day and don't want to injure my gums. I am now using Colgate Ortho defense mouth wash since it does not have CPC and the Act that I was using does. I don't want to get brown stains if I can prevent it.

At my next adjustment they are going to put a stronger wire on the top and we will see about the bottom depending how much movement I get. I am already getting nervous about my Perio scaling/cleaning appointment which is a week after my adjustment. The hygienist is vicious (LOL) because when she does the cleaning and scaling she goes so deep that my toes and hair hurt for a few days after. I will ask for dispensation from the Ortho to take a few Advil for that appointment and eat extra the day before as I know I will not be eating for a few days after.

Well until next time, take care.