Brand new to braces at 28

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lildropofsunshine

Brand new to braces at 28

#1 Post by lildropofsunshine »

Hey guys! As the title says - I'm 28, and I this is my first time with braces!

I got my braces yesterday morning, and so far so good. I got ceramic on the front 6 top teeth, and metal on the rest (bottoms will go on in a few months), and I love the choice! Yes, the ceramics are larger, but I think it looks really good. I half wish sometimes that I had all metal because the metal ones are smaller, but then I think about the aesthetics and I'm happy.

Gonna close my gaps, fix the little crowding I've got, and straighten out my bite in an estimated 12-18 months.

Not much pain yet...I'd say maybe a 3/10. My mouth has started to get a bit scratched up, so while I did try to toughen it out a bit, I have now put wax on so that it can heal...and what a world of difference that makes!

I didn't really eat much yesterday, and not because of the pain, but because it felt so weird. Last night though I did eat a muffin which I viewed as a success because it was more chewing than I had done all day. I do find that I get pangs of pain if I accidentally knock my top and bottom teeth together, or if I push my tongue forward on the back of my teeth like I sometimes do, but nothing really constant.

I don't really have much else to say other than I'm super happy to finally be doing this! Oh, and I'm gonna miss eating my frozen foods...frozen mangoes are one of my favorite foods, and that's not gonna happen anymore!

Super excited about this journey!

Braces day 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

desertd

Re: Brand new to braces at 28

#2 Post by desertd »

Looks good! I'll admit there are times for me a month and a half in that eating feels weird but it does get better. Best of luck to you!
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

lildropofsunshine

#3 Post by lildropofsunshine »

Thanks!

So this is day 5 and things are still going well. I've eaten real food (chicken SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM), although that was not an easy task to do at all...and I've taken the wax (well, Mack's silicone earplugs as I was suggested elsewhere) off because I think my mouth is tough enough to handle the wires. And if not, I've always got a huge amount of the Mack's and wax to use.

What I hate most is that I've developed a lisp. I think it's because the inside of my mouth is so swollen from being scratched up by the brackets/wires. I tried putting lipstick on, and I looked like a clown, so that's a no-go for now lol.

md1512

#4 Post by md1512 »

I think I talked with a lisp for about a week or two and at first felt so strange. I also found that when I was a bit dehydrated thats when the brackets would rub my mouth if it was dry, so drink plenty of water. Other than that you get used to it so quickly, and its so worth it!

lildropofsunshine

#5 Post by lildropofsunshine »

I'm already noticing changes already, and it's crazy.

But my lisp is getting worse and not better, which is extremely annoying...but at least I can eat.