2nd braces at age 30 - for bite and gums!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Meowmeowbeans2

Re: 2nd braces at age 30 - for bite and gums!

#16 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

6th adjustment, time is flying!

Apparently, my top teeth are done! They're in the strongest wire to keep them in place with a "sling" of a powerchain still running under the front 4 brackets to get them a bit less flared and more straight up and down.

Bottom canines were still a bit rotated from my three months of class III elastics wear, so she repositioned those two brackets and put steel ties on them - ouch! There are also small gaps between all of my front incisors, so I hope that as the canines rotate into place, those gaps also close up.

Back in 6 weeks to check on the canines!

16 month sentence December 2018 to April 2020... Debraced May 2020 with only a 2 month COVID-19 delay!
My braces story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54116

Meowmeowbeans2

#17 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

7th adjustment today. I'm also back in elastics, ahhhhhhhh! My teeth are all nice and straight, so it's all about the bite. They removed the bite turbos to start, and the surfaces underneath feel kind of rough and gross. I brushed them rights afterward, so hopefully, they go back to being nice smooth feeling teeth soon.

On the top, I'm still in the same last square wire as before. I have a regular powerchain now instead of the "sling" under the brackets of my front 4 teeth. That's nice because the light band across my teeth kept staining and looking weird, and I'm in a wedding this weekend and need to take photos!

On the bottom, got upgraded to the last square wire today. I have a few small gaps among my lower incisors and canines, but we won't address that with a powerchain until the next visit on November 20.

On the left side, I have a class II elastic to pull my midline together. On the right side, I have a box formation because my teeth aren't meeting on that side yet. It's a bummer because I have a wedding this weekend and then two vacations between now and my next adjustment, including 2 weeks in Japan! Elastics are just an added hassle for traveling :( Hopefully, I'm still ahead of schedule overall and can get out of these before April 2020.

I also had a periodontist check-up in September, and my two pre-braces gum grafts still look good a year later. He did say I should have one lower incisor done right after braces are off (and pushed me to make the appointment for April right then!), but I told them I'd call back when I had a better sense of when the braces are actually coming off. I also feel like I should wait a few months to let my teeth settle post-braces before surgery since I wouldn't be able to wear a retainer for a week or more afterwards. Or maybe a permanent retainer on the bottom would be sufficient for that week or so?

16 month sentence December 2018 to April 2020... Debraced May 2020 with only a 2 month COVID-19 delay!

Meowmeowbeans2

#18 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

8th adjustment today. My midline got back in line these past few weeks, woot!

Fresh power chain on top plus added a power chain on bottom.

Bite is great on the right side, so I’m just doing the box elastic at night to maintain it.

Left side bite is still wonky? so I have a triangle elastic on upper canine and premolar to lower premolar.

I go back January 8. She says I may finish about a month early in March 🙏🏻

Meowmeowbeans2

#19 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

9th adjustment, and MAYBE MY LAST!!! :D

She was super happy with how things are going except that she wants to make sure my bite hits more on the back teeth and less on then front teeth.

Today she did IPR on my lower 4 front teeth to bring them back a little. On the uppers, I got bends in the wires of 3 incisors to bring the central two down a bit, straighten out one that had tilted sideways with elastics, and not sure what tweak on a lateral. The bends have created a lot of pressure in the last 30min already, but I'm almost savoring it because it might be the last braces pain I have :lol: The bent wire teeth have both bands AND the powerchain on them too. I also just continue the same elastics wear at night - a box on the right and triangle on the left.

So they scheduled me for a debrace appointment on February 11! The original estimate was until April 18, so I'm ecstatic!!

After that, I will do one more gum graft on a lower incisor, and then hopefully, I can stop worrying about my teeth for a while, phew!

desertd

#20 Post by desertd »

Congrats!
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

Meowmeowbeans2

#21 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

I noticed this morning that one loop on a molar in my lower powerchain had snapped, either at breakfast or maybe yesterday. I called the ortho's office right when it opened and they had me come in to replace it this afternoon. Turns out it was an administrative day, so there was just a tech in the office and not the ortho herself to quickly put a new one on.

I'm still scheduled to get braces off on Tuesday, but I don't think my teeth are ready! I have noticed that my top 6 are all different lengths now! I think the right side incisors look longer than the left ones, but also my left canine is longer than the right canine! The right center incisor seems to be tilted as well...

So the overall effect is that when I part my teeth slightly, the right side looks more together than the left, leading to a lopsided bite look. See in this photo how one side (my right but the photo's left) my teeth are more overlapping/together than the other?
IMG_2826.jpg
I will bring this up on Tuesday, of course, but I'm so bummed it will be at least another 4-5 weeks :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meowmeowbeans2

#22 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

Also, I don't think I've mentioned it on here before, but my left maxillary lateral incisor has a talon cusp on the back that goes almost to the bottom of the tooth. I basically bite on it now on my lower teeth, so maybe the cusp is keeping the left teeth apart while the right are able to merge better without that obstacle in the way?

I hope she can work around it and bring the right teeth up and even with the left since clearly the left can't go down further!

More info on talon cusps here: https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-heal ... talon-cusp

Meowmeowbeans2

#23 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

10th adjustment! I came in with my list of concerns about my top 6 teeth not being straight. She didn't quite agree with me that the lateral incisors were different lengths, but still agreed to raise the right one. She pointed out how the teeth have different anatomies and wear patterns but was happy to help move things and compensate for that so that I was happy.

All in all, she repositioned 4 brackets to bring the left canine up, straighten out my front two teeth that I felt were tipping away from each other, and raise the right lateral incisor a bit. On the last one, she also put a "loop spring" to get it to tilt at the root. She thinks that what I see as a longer tooth is actually tilted-out-too-far tooth.

She said within 3-4 days they should be in their new positions, and I can see if I'm happy with the result. If so, they will take them off in 2 weeks on February 25!!! I HOPE IT HAPPENS!!!!

Also on my talon cusp question, she said it is fine that I bite on the cusp - it's strong enough to do so.

Meowmeowbeans2

#24 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

11th adjustment today - so close but not there yet :cry:

One of my top central incisors still had not come into line after the bracket repositioning on February 11, so my debrace has been postponed again. She put a step-down bend in the wire for that tooth and kept the spring on my right lateral incisor to push it back a bit more to match the other side. They were also able to put me back in a powerchain on top. Nothing was done on the bottom, and I keep the same elastic configurations just at night. Luckily, she and I do agree exactly on these last remaining issues that need to be fixed.

Since we did so much more tweaking on the top, and because my teeth seem to move pretty fast, she wants to keep the tops on longer to stabilize them after we're done tweaking. So I was supposed to come back again in 2 weeks (the week of March 9) to check that the top is good and potentially remove the bottoms, but there were no openings. I'm out of town the following week of March 16, so I had to schedule the next appointment for March 24, A WHOLE MONTH AWAY! I plan to call the office week of March 9 to see if there's an opening, but mostly I'm bummed that an extra two weeks is being added in for scheduling issues.

Which BTW has anyone had bottoms taken off before tops? I thought they always came off at the same time!

So looks like the full debrace will be in April at the earliest, with April 18 being exactly 16 months as predicted. I know that's on time, but my hopes were so high after having two debrace dates in February and being disappointed. Argh!

Carno

#25 Post by Carno »

Hey, I can't give you any tips, but I just wanted to say thanks for the updates throughout your journey! I get braces on almost right when you get yours off!

Your teeth look great, hopefully you're happy with the end result!!

Meowmeowbeans2

#26 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

Well, my teeth definitely move fast because in about 10 hours MY FRONT TOOTH WAS PERFECTLY IN LINE!

Look at these beauties today...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

desertd

#27 Post by desertd »

Looking good!
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

Carno

#28 Post by Carno »

Nice, that's awesome!

Meowmeowbeans2

#29 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

12th adjustment today - I was supposed to be getting my bottom braces off...

On Monday, the orthodontist’s office emailed to say they cannot remove braces under the coronavirus threat because the process of polishing off the glue creates aerosol droplets, and they would need N95 masks and hazmat suits for the whole office! But I was still welcome to come for an adjustment.

I don’t have a car and would normally bus/metro to my appointment, but given the coronavirus distancing measures and the mid-50s sunny weather, I walked 2mi to the office and 2mi home! My fitness tracker registered the uphill walk home as 60 “intensity minutes” for the week :lol:

At the appointment, they just had me use hand sanitizer when I entered and they had fancier face masks on. Otherwise, it was a normal adjustment with a change of fresh powerchains and the removal of the spring loop on my right lateral incisor (finally I will stop ripping my tongue on it!).

They were scheduling others there for adjustments in 8-9 weeks, but didn’t schedule me. They have a list of folks who just need them taken off, and we’ll get called as soon as it’s safe - right now the guidance was in about 6 weeks.

Til then I have maintenance elastics for my bite, but everything should come off at the next appointment, whenever it is!

cbraces678

#30 Post by cbraces678 »

Meowmeowbeans2 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:12 pm 12th adjustment today - I was supposed to be getting my bottom braces off...

On Monday, the orthodontist’s office emailed to say they cannot remove braces under the coronavirus threat because the process of polishing off the glue creates aerosol droplets, and they would need N95 masks and hazmat suits for the whole office! But I was still welcome to come for an adjustment.

I don’t have a car and would normally bus/metro to my appointment, but given the coronavirus distancing measures and the mid-50s sunny weather, I walked 2mi to the office and 2mi home! My fitness tracker registered the uphill walk home as 60 “intensity minutes” for the week :lol:

At the appointment, they just had me use hand sanitizer when I entered and they had fancier face masks on. Otherwise, it was a normal adjustment with a change of fresh powerchains and the removal of the spring loop on my right lateral incisor (finally I will stop ripping my tongue on it!).

They were scheduling others there for adjustments in 8-9 weeks, but didn’t schedule me. They have a list of folks who just need them taken off, and we’ll get called as soon as it’s safe - right now the guidance was in about 6 weeks.

Til then I have maintenance elastics for my bite, but everything should come off at the next appointment, whenever it is!
Same situation for me! Mine were scheduled to come off a week after everything shut down. Our offices are still closed for the unforeseeable future, so I’m not sure how long until they will open again (I’m in Canada). But now I’ve had a couple teeth shift that I will need adjusted before taking them off :-(( I hope your teeth are doing well!! Hopefully things are better soon!