worried about excessive movement and root resorption

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

splodge2001

worried about excessive movement and root resorption

#1 Post by splodge2001 »

I am worried about my treatment so far. I am a 42 year old female nearly 12 months in to treatment with Damon braces.
When treatment started I had moderate crowding in the lower arch and a a severely rotated lower left cuspid (180 degrees). 6 months into treatment the teeth on the lower left side had become very extruded (because of the rotated left cuspid?). My orthodontist then introduced a reverse curve of spee archwire to reverse the extrusion. My worry is that the movement involved in extruding and re-intruding the teeth might have caused root resorption. I have read that risk factors include, reverse curve of spee, allergies (due to inflammatory response), age, reduced estrogen . I tick all those boxes.

I'd like to know if the treatment looks normal - so many times I see photos of 6 month results and the teeth look amazing whereas mine look terrible. And whether it is likely that the treatment will have caused resorption. I am going to ask my orthodontist about getting an X ray. I will post photos as soon as I have permission.

assertives

Re: worried about excessive movement and root resorption

#2 Post by assertives »

The only way to tell if there is indeed resorption is via the xray. I'm not sure anyone here will be able to answer your question regarding your progressive treatment plan, and whether that has already caused root resorption. There is no sure way to tell who may be more predisposed to it unless you already have a history of root resorption or it runs in your family. So I wouldn't be worried as yet.

Also, things generally do look worse before it gets better, and everyone is different and would respond differently to the same treatment. I'd say, don't compare your treatment progress with others as their diagnosis and treatment needed may not necessarily be the same as yours.

straightandnarrow

#3 Post by straightandnarrow »

We are close in age and I am worried about root resorption as well. I'm taking things reeeeeaaaaal slow, even if it means being in tx longer than originally planned. I'm a denta l assistant with training in orthodontic functions. I'd be interested in seeing your xrays when they are posted!

WonkyToothBGone

#4 Post by WonkyToothBGone »

HI there,

Just a message of support to say that I have the same kind of worry and I am only on month 2 of std. braces. I'm of a similar age and also have the allergy/inflammation response. Although my ortho provided root re-absorption as a risk, not much was explained to me about it, so I'm not really sure what to look for as a sign of this occurring. I am going to keep an eye on your thread to see what you and other post. But for now, thank you for sharing your concerns openly. I feel a little less alone, so cheers for that.