5 Years on

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jem

5 Years on

#1 Post by jem »

It is now 5 years since I finished my active orthodontic treatment. I still have a bonded retainer and wear my hawley retainer every night. Neither is any problem and my teeth have not moved at all.

My only regret is that I only had my top front teeth straightened. My bottom teeth are not bad and my bite is almost perfect, so it is not a big issue. What put me off having full braces top and bottom was the cost and length of treatment. In the event my limited treatment lasted 18 months anyway and I could probably have completed comprehensive treatment in only a few months longer and paid for it in instalments.

I would say to anyone considering braces, just go for it-you will not regret it. Good luck to all.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

jem

Re: 5 Years on

#2 Post by jem »

I spoke too soon. My bonded retainer came loose from my right canine leaving only 5 of 6 teeth attached. I broke off the end which was poking me badly. I went to my general dentist to get the end smoothed down. He recommended that I keep the remaining portion of the bonded retainer. I took my hawley retainer ( which I still wear at night) to the appointment to check that it would still fit properly and my dentist noticed that the labial wire was not actually touching my right lateral and canine. I don't know whether it has never touched those teeth or whether I have distorted it during cleaning.He also remarked that my right lateral appeared to have moved, notwithstanding that it remained attached to the bonded retainer. Before my brace, my right lateral had tilted outwards and it was doing so again. Presumably the bonded retainer failed to stop it tilting again in the absence of support from the hawley..

My dentist adjusted the wire on my hawley retainer so that it was now touching the canine and applying active pressure on the lateral. He advised that I should wear the retainer 24/7 for six months. When I took my hawley out the following morning, my lateral appeared to be back in its correct position, but by the end of the day it was tilted out again. I clearly can't have the tooth moving backwards and forwards on a daily basis, so I have to make the choice of not using a removable retainer and leaving the lateral slightly tilted or knuckling down to 24/7 retainer wear for several months.

My hawley is perfectly comfortable and doesn't affect my speech but I really don't want the world to see me with wire on my teeth again. I still have the essix which I got as part of my treatment package. I never liked it and paid extra for a hawley so the essix is almost unused. I can still get it on but my right lateral hurts. I really can't face the prospect of wearing the essix 24/7 either. i hate the way my teeth are completely encased and also the need to remove it to have a cup of tea or anything other than water. I don't know how people manage with invisalign. I know this is hypocritical when I encourage other people to have their treatment, but I really feel I have done my time.

What would you do?

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012

SinkFullOfDinner

#3 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

If it were me, I'd probably use the essix during the day when interacting with people, and then switch to the Hawley when I got home. That way you're not broadcasting the labial wire after all these years when you're out and about, but you're not stuck wearing the essix all day. At least at home you won't have to bother taking the essix in and out every time you're enjoying a tea or coffee or glass of wine. In fact, that Hawley/essix combo is what my ortho suggests for his adult patients during the four month 24/7 retention period. I know you said the essix causes pain in that lateral, but I guess that confirms the relapse you and your dentist have described. If it's too much, maybe you'll need to go 24/7 with the Hawley for a little while until it moves enough to accommodate the essix without too much discomfort.

Good luck getting it back where it belongs!

jem

#4 Post by jem »

Thank you Sink

I have started wearing the essix 24/7 and will wear it for work this coming week. My right lateral hurt for a couple of minutes when I put the essix in last night but has been fine since ( albeit slightly hurting very briefly after the essix has been out to eat). I will wear the essix for work this coming week. My speech with the essix is not great unless my mouth is very dry.

I don't think I will be able to swap between the essix and hawley as I don't think the hawley can hold the lateral in adequately. Its relapse involves the bottom of the tooth tilting out and the hawley wire is only about a third of the way down the crown of the tooth. I think I may get a new hawley made with the labial wire further down

jem

#5 Post by jem »

So I have been wearing the essix pretty much all day for the last two weeks and the errant tooth is back in place and putting the essix in does not hurt if the essix has only been out briefly. But it is a struggle to remember to put it back in after eating and I have had a couple of inadvertant breaks of about 3 hours after which the essix has felt tight but not painful,

braceface74

#6 Post by braceface74 »

jem wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:39 am It is now 5 years since I finished my active orthodontic treatment. I still have a bonded retainer and wear my hawley retainer every night. Neither is any problem and my teeth have not moved at all.

My only regret is that I only had my top front teeth straightened. My bottom teeth are not bad and my bite is almost perfect, so it is not a big issue. What put me off having full braces top and bottom was the cost and length of treatment. In the event my limited treatment lasted 18 months anyway and I could probably have completed comprehensive treatment in only a few months longer and paid for it in instalments.

I would say to anyone considering braces, just go for it-you will not regret it. Good luck to all.

Jem
Hey Jem,

Isn’t that weird I logged on here tonight for the first time in 5 years 😄. I was looking through my old pictures to compare what I have now to then and seen this post from you so thought I’d say hi!

You’re right about going for it. Time passes quicker than you think
Braces journey 16/01/2012 - 03/06/2013 :)

My Braces story