Braces story - 28 years old

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Meowmeowbeans2

Re: Braces story - 28 years old

#31 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

I also had gum taken from my top molars - you can’t even tell now because it healed smooth!

16 month sentence December 2018 to April 2020... Debraced May 2020 with only a 2 month COVID-19 delay!
My braces story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54116

cbraces678

#32 Post by cbraces678 »

Meowmeowbeans2 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:16 pm I also had gum taken from my top molars - you can’t even tell now because it healed smooth!
Thanks so much for all the information. I really appreciate that. I’m glad to hear it was a quick procedure and it wasn’t too awful. I will definitely follow these tips! I will have to get some soft foods in order before next Monday. Thanks again!

cbraces678

#33 Post by cbraces678 »

My adjustment before the gum graft and frenectomy.

Today was my adjustment before the surgery next Monday. I got my first stainless steel wire on top today (16x22). Tying that in wasn’t very fun. It’s definitely very tight. Another light power chain for gaps. I also have some sort of second elastic above the brackets of my front teeth. Does anyone know what this is for???

Lower wire went down a notch since have the surgery Monday, so from 16x22 to 16x16. They also removed my molar build ups. Yay! Although my bite is super awkward. I have a feeling some teeth are going to be sore from touching first until it levels back out. I’ll be sure to update after the gum graft and frenectomy.

Ok here’s the picture. What’s the elastics that runs above the brackets for????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cbraces678

#34 Post by cbraces678 »

Gum graft and frenectomy.

I had my minor surgery done a couple hours ago. I was pretty surprised with how easy the procedure was. I was seriously SO nervous. The worst part was the freezing for sure, which wasn't even really all that terrible. I mean there was some pain, but it could have been worse for sure. It was smooth sailing after that. However, I worked myself up so much before everything that I started sweating as they were doing it :lol: I had to adjust my sweater. Now looking back at it, it wasn't that bad. The freezing is now starting to wear off where the frenectomy and gum graft are, so it's definitely getting sore there. The site the graft was taken from is still frozen for now. Hoping for a quick recovery!

Meowmeowbeans2

#35 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

Glad to hear it went smoothly! Enjoy some ice cream ;)

16 month sentence December 2018 to April 2020... Debraced May 2020 with only a 2 month COVID-19 delay!

cbraces678

#36 Post by cbraces678 »

Meowmeowbeans2 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:36 pm Glad to hear it went smoothly! Enjoy some ice cream ;)
Wow, were you ever right about the mind game wondering if food or something is messing with it. I feel like I have food stuck there ALLLLL the time but I am just leaving it and rinsing lightly with salt water after I eat. That's the best I can do! Do you remember roughly how long until you felt like you could talk normally? I don't really have any pain anymore, but I'm still talking kind of mumbly because I'm afraid to talk normal since the graft and frenectomy were done right at my lower front teeth. If I move my lips too much I can feel the stitches which creeps me out, so I just avoid moving them LOL.

Meowmeowbeans2

#37 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

Oh with the first one (done on a Monday) I kept my face so still, put a note on my door at work that I couldn’t talk all week, and even called the dr to ask if I was allowed to smile after 5 days :lol: of course I was!

Maybe like 4-5 days after you should be good? I think the most critical healing period is first 48 hours really. After that the graft should be merging in and stable.

The second one I deliberately scheduled on a Thursday and stayed home for the weekend and by Monday was all normal. Just waited til the bathroom was empty to do my salt water rinse and drool :wink: I was waaaaaay more relaxed overall since I knew I had survived the first.

You’ll be fine! Like a month after you’ll barely think about it!

cbraces678

#38 Post by cbraces678 »

Gum graft/frenectomy update.

I had my post op appointment. She said it all healed really well. Taking the remaining stitches out pinched a little. I can go back to my electric toothbrush, but just not brush the one spot!!!! I am so happy. I can also now floss my teeth properly. I had a hard time flossing the lower arch because I really have to pull the lower lip and cheek to the get the floss threader under my wire, so I just used those “floss picks” there but I really don’t think they do a good job. I go back in about a month for a periodontal cleaning. She wants me to do my next cleaning at their office and then I can go back to my dentist office for the following cleaning. Yay! I am moving on to more soft foods now rather than soups/smoothies now that I can use my waterpik again (just not in the graft area). Woo hoo! Thank goodness!

cbraces678

#39 Post by cbraces678 »

Adjustment day - it’s been about 10 and a half months in braces.

It’s been a month since my gum graft, so I had my
ortho adjustment today. I was a bit nervous just because the graft is doing good, but it’s still healing. The adjustment went fine. I received some really good feedback. He said my top teeth are looking great, and much to my surprise he said, “Wow your bite is actually pretty good”. I haven’t had elastics in ages, so I’m hoping maybe things are just naturally lining up.

Top wire stayed the same (16x22 stainless steel). I got a new power chain. He went bigger on the bottom wire... from 16 square to 17x22 Niti. I also got my first power chain down there to start closing gaps. There’s about 4 gaps right now, so I am happy about that. I’ll post an updated picture later.

Overall it was a great appointment. I was happy to get some good feedback. I’m at this point where it feels like I’ve had braces forever, but that I still have forever to go. Anyone else at that point? :lol:

cbraces678

#40 Post by cbraces678 »

Progress pics.

I’m hoping my front teeth will level out sometime soon. I am happy with my progress so far though. I think it’s made a big difference. My smile is definitely wider, and the teeth are straighter by a long shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cbraces678

#41 Post by cbraces678 »

An 11 month progress picture.

These days progress pictures are the only thing getting me through. It feels like I’ve had braces FOREVER. I’m incredibly sick of them. At my next appointment on April 16th I’m going to ask if everything is on track still to be completed by the original 24 months estimate. Fingers crossed... it better be lol. I don’t think I could go any longer. I’m hoping to get elastics soon for the bite correction. I had elastics a few months ago to close an open bite that became a thing since starting ortho, but nothing since.

Picture 1 is before braces.... bit of a crossbite, narrow smile, and almost an edge to edge bite.
Now in the bottom picture... my smile is definitely wider, no crossbite, and my upper arch overlaps my lower teeth.

lildropofsunshine

#42 Post by lildropofsunshine »

I've enjoyed reading your story :) Makes me even more excited to start my journey.

cbraces678

#43 Post by cbraces678 »

Adjustment day.

Today I went in for my adjustment. It's been basically a year (my braces were put on April 23 2018), so I asked for a progress update and if 12 more months still seems realistic. The orthodontist said 6-9 months!!! I just about jumped out of the chair. He said likely closer to 9 months, but that'll be it. I'm seriously so happy. It's only 3 months less likely, but I am beyond ecstatic. I'm so over them, and worrying about my gums, so this was really great news.

First at the adjustment, I had IPR done between my front teeth (upper and lower). Top wire stayed the same, and now the bottom wire is the same as the top wire (16X22 stainless steel - first SS wire on the bottom, and it's been about 3 months with this wire on top). Power chains on top and bottom. I also go elastics today. I have to wear them in a box configuration 24/7 and they are bald eagles. I am seriously going to wear them as much as possible to try and help that timeline. I asked about my gums, and he has no concerns, but from their before pictures I can see the difference which I hate. He said all is good though right now, so I trust him. I see the periodontist in August for a cleaning, so I will ask them again then to make sure as well. I go back for my next adjustment in 4 weeks. I am going to hope and pray for only 6 more months while keeping in mind that he said it'll be closer to 9 months. I don't want to rush anything or compromise the results, but I really would like to be done. Who's with me? :-*

I'll post progress pictures again at some point once some changes are visible.

cbraces678

#44 Post by cbraces678 »

Minor set back.

I went back to the office today. I had posted in a separate thread where a tooth root was sticking out a lot more than the rest. It was getting worse and actually started bugging me, so I brought it up. I went in and they repositioned the bracket so I am back in a 16x22 niti wire until it straightens back out. I hope this won’t affect my new timeline of only 6-9 months remaining rather than a year, but I am just happy it is being dealt with!

Iewia

#45 Post by Iewia »

Really love your story!