My Journey started yesterday.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

StaceyJeannette

My Journey started yesterday.

#1 Post by StaceyJeannette »

Yesterday I had metal braces put on top and bottom. 3 molars will have brackets put on later with a thicker wire. I’m going to post some pictures of my teeth on here. You might wonder why I even started this because my teeth just don’t look that bad in the pics.
My bruxism has caused quite a few teeth to shift, and some gum recession has occurred on those teeth. One being my top front tooth. I have bottom incisor that is being tipped toward the front, and the root looks like it is going to come out of the gum on the inside.
My midline is off and I have a rotated tooth that was never straightened with my first set of braces back when I was 17. I also have an over jet, but forgot to ask ortho how much. When I measure it seems to be 5 mm.

I also have missing teeth ( no dentist ever told me about bone loss, Supra erupting teeth, or any other problems that can arise from having teeth pulled. I just couldnt afford root canals and crowns at the time. If I can ever afford it, I would like to replace the missing teeth with implants. ( I have to save up money for teeth work) :wink:

My orthodontist wants me to go for a consult for possible lower jaw surgery, but I don’t think I’ll even think about that.
I’m not having much pain today, just soreness from brackets rubbing the inside of my mouth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StaceyJeannette

Re: My Journey started yesterday.

#2 Post by StaceyJeannette »

My mouth feels like I've had barbed wire in it for the last week. :soremouth: Trying to keep wax on problem areas. Braces are definitely helping my diet if nothing else - I quit snacking because I don't want to brush my teeth every time I munch. I'm desperately trying to avoid any more cavities, especially while the braces are on. I already want these things off my teeth! :roll: I'm sure I'll get adjusted to them in time, but I really don't remember braces rubbing my mouth this raw the first go round.

YankeeFan62

#3 Post by YankeeFan62 »

My journey is yet to start. I am 66 and going for my initial banding in about 4 weeks. The orthodontist said he would put the top braces on first and would put the bottom ones on after I get used to the top. After reading all of these posts I am wondering if at my age it is really worth the trouble and pain. Does anyone know how long it would be after the top braces are applied that they would put the bottom ones on?

StaceyJeannette

#4 Post by StaceyJeannette »

I really don't know how long it would be before they put the bottom braces on you, I'm sure someone else on the site might have more experience with that. I don't think you are too old for braces, I am 45 and my ortho told me they have patients older than me. I think I'm just more sensitive to the pain now that I'm older. To me the pain is worth it if braces are going to help me keep my teeth longer.

Today makes 2 weeks since my braces were put on and I have to say, almost all the sores in my mouth are gone! I am no longer sticking wax to the brackets either. My lips are still adjusting to closing over the brackets, but things are getting much easier to handle. I am already noticing teeth that are shifting slightly - some are easier to floss between. I'm also more comfortable smiling - at first I just didn't want anyone to see the braces.

I wish you luck with your braces journey!

Mrcf

#5 Post by Mrcf »

I am in braces since 5 weeks. Waited (to) long and now I am 51. Only got my lowers first. Enough to handle them. Can’t imagine to have upper and lowers done at the same time. I got clear on bottoms which is very seldom. And my Ortho changed her decision from metal to clear as I was in the chair. Why did you get all metal? I don’t know if I want to obvious braces in my age...
2018.04.25. Extraction of lower incisor
2018.05.07. Lower ceramic braces

EmilyTravels

#6 Post by EmilyTravels »

I got my braces at the ripe young age of 56. I had them as a teenager as well; of course, I can't remember what the pain was like then, but they have definitely been sore this time around. Really, though, it's only for a couple of days after each adjustment. I think maybe a week after initial application, and I got my top and bottom arches both on at the same time.

The most painful part to me is the opening and closing of the gates on the self-ligating brackets. The metal ones on bottom seem pretty prone to sticking shut, so the tech. really has to work on some of them with multiple instruments. That can be quite excruciating for a very short time, but once she gets it, the pain is immediately over. The clear brackets on top (Innovation-C) never seem to stick. She says that we older folks build up tartar in the brackets more than kids, so they get harder to open. I am very careful with my dental hygiene, but still this happens. My metal brackets are not Damon but Speed System, a competing product.

Best of luck to all us oldies! :lol:

StaceyJeannette

#7 Post by StaceyJeannette »

Mrcf wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 am I am in braces since 5 weeks. Waited (to) long and now I am 51. Only got my lowers first. Enough to handle them. Can’t imagine to have upper and lowers done at the same time. I got clear on bottoms which is very seldom. And my Ortho changed her decision from metal to clear as I was in the chair. Why did you get all metal? I don’t know if I want to obvious braces in my age...
I guess I'm glad I got both upper and lower at the same time, now all I'll have to get used to will be the 3 back brackets when they are put on. I got all metal because I thought people would figure out I had braces eventually and the metal was a little cheaper. Also I was told that the ceramics are harder to get off, and I didn't want to have any problems with my teeth from them. I know problems don't happen with everyone, but I tend to worry too much about such stuff. :roll:

EmilyTravels

#8 Post by EmilyTravels »

StaceyJeannette wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 am I guess I'm glad I got both upper and lower at the same time, now all I'll have to get used to will be the 3 back brackets when they are put on. I got all metal because I thought people would figure out I had braces eventually and the metal was a little cheaper. Also I was told that the ceramics are harder to get off, and I didn't want to have any problems with my teeth from them. I know problems don't happen with everyone, but I tend to worry too much about such stuff. :roll:
Oh me too! If I had known prior to getting braced about the problems with removal of the clear brackets (sometimes), I would have insisted on metal. I have the clear on my "social six" only, which are the most important and seen teeth in my smile, so I would feel especially bad if something happened to one or more of them during removal. I already have a small chip in my left central incisor from the same bike crash that put me in braces to begin with -- I don't want any more damage.

My ortho puts all adults in clear brackets on the social six, because he thinks we want braces to be more discreet, I guess. And they certainly do look better in photos. But I'd have given that up to avoid any problems during removal. Am crossing my fingers and hoping I am not one of the unlucky ones! :( :( :(

StaceyJeannette

#9 Post by StaceyJeannette »

EmilyTravels wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:21 pm
StaceyJeannette wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 am I guess I'm glad I got both upper and lower at the same time, now all I'll have to get used to will be the 3 back brackets when they are put on. I got all metal because I thought people would figure out I had braces eventually and the metal was a little cheaper. Also I was told that the ceramics are harder to get off, and I didn't want to have any problems with my teeth from them. I know problems don't happen with everyone, but I tend to worry too much about such stuff. :roll:
Oh me too! If I had known prior to getting braced about the problems with removal of the clear brackets (sometimes), I would have insisted on metal. I have the clear on my "social six" only, which are the most important and seen teeth in my smile, so I would feel especially bad if something happened to one or more of them during removal. I already have a small chip in my left central incisor from the same bike crash that put me in braces to begin with -- I don't want any more damage.

My ortho puts all adults in clear brackets on the social six, because he thinks we want braces to be more discreet, I guess. And they certainly do look better in photos. But I'd have given that up to avoid any problems during removal. Am crossing my fingers and hoping I am not one of the unlucky ones! :( :( :(
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :thumbsup:

kojo

#10 Post by kojo »

[quote=StaceyJeannette post_id=502700 time=1528910067 user_id=31857]
[quote=Mrcf post_id=502695 time=1528901807 user_id=26877]
I am in braces since 5 weeks. Waited (to) long and now I am 51. Only got my lowers first. Enough to handle them. Can’t imagine to have upper and lowers done at the same time. I got clear on bottoms which is very seldom. And my Ortho changed her decision from metal to clear as I was in the chair. Why did you get all metal? I don’t know if I want to obvious braces in my age...
[/quote]

I guess I'm glad I got both upper and lower at the same time, now all I'll have to get used to will be the 3 back brackets when they are put on. I got all metal because I thought people would figure out I had braces eventually and the metal was a little cheaper. Also I was told that the ceramics are harder to get off, and I didn't want to have any problems with my teeth from them. I know problems don't happen with everyone, but I tend to worry too much about such stuff. :roll:
[/quote]

I wish I knew that ceramic are harder to get off. Do you think it depends on the brands? or it occurs with any kind of ceramic's brace? btw good luck with your treatment

StaceyJeannette

#11 Post by StaceyJeannette »

I wish I knew that ceramic are harder to get off. Do you think it depends on the brands? or it occurs with any kind of ceramic's brace? btw good luck with your treatment
[/quote]

Hopefully someone with experience can answer that. :wink: I'm sure there are tons of people who have had no problems with ceramic brackets. I have a niece who had the metal brackets and she lost some of her enamel when they were taken off - so it doesn't just happen with ceramic. Maybe it also depends on a person's teeth?

Mrcf

#12 Post by Mrcf »

StaceyJeannette wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:10 am I wish I knew that ceramic are harder to get off. Do you think it depends on the brands? or it occurs with any kind of ceramic's brace? btw good luck with your treatment
Hopefully someone with experience can answer that. :wink: I'm sure there are tons of people who have had no problems with ceramic brackets. I have a niece who had the metal brackets and she lost some of her enamel when they were taken off - so it doesn't just happen with ceramic. Maybe it also depends on a person's teeth?
[/quote]

Two of my ceramic brackets popped off a week after placed. Seems that they came of as easy as all the other stuff clued in. Had not damage.

StaceyJeannette

#13 Post by StaceyJeannette »

Mrcf wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:38 am
StaceyJeannette wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:10 am I wish I knew that ceramic are harder to get off. Do you think it depends on the brands? or it occurs with any kind of ceramic's brace? btw good luck with your treatment
Two of my ceramic brackets popped off a week after placed. Seems that they came of as easy as all the other stuff clued in. Had not damage.
[/quote]

That's good to hear. Then hopefully the majority of people with ceramic don't have any issues :D Seems like we usually only hear the bad online, I think when things go well, people just are happy and don't feel the need to complain or tell anyone.

Mrcf

#14 Post by Mrcf »

StaceyJeannette wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:00 pm
Mrcf wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:38 am
That's good to hear. Then hopefully the majority of people with ceramic don't have any issues :D Seems like we usually only hear the bad online, I think when things go well, people just are happy and don't feel the need to complain or tell anyone.
[/quote]

I have got a ceramic bracket replaced with a metal one.
The tooth is rotated and my ortho decided to use the metal because it is much thinner and not so bulky. This is what I felt. The ceramics are thick, sharp and bulky. For that I would prefer metal ones.....
But the ceramics on the lowers are more or less invisible. My sons did not relise them for 6 weeks....

StaceyJeannette

#15 Post by StaceyJeannette »

Yesterday made it 3 weeks since getting braced. My mouth feels so much better now! :jump: I guess what I hate most is taking the time to floss :roll: I know I will have to go through some adjusting again after my next visit to the ortho when I get 3 more brackets and a larger wire; plus, I'm wondering how annoying the wire will be where I am missing teeth? I'm sure my tongue will go crazy exploring all that wire!

I took my youngest into the DMV to get his learner's permit, and the lady behind the counter had braces also. I noticed her bottom braces first because they were metal, then later I figured she had the clear braces on top. Almost makes me regret not getting the clear on top! But I am happy with what I have and I am excited to get my teeth back in place - even if I can't afford implants to replace the missing teeth. They might have to wait for a later time.