Coping w/Elastics and Rubber Bands

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lajp

Coping w/Elastics and Rubber Bands

#1 Post by lajp »

So I got rubber bands/elastics about a week ago. As well as another archwire (so 4 archwires total). My mouth feels a bit heavier and like yeah. The rubber bands aren't like painful but they definitely cause some aches and pressure. How do you all manage that when you go/went through different elastics?

I have like a parallelogram shape in the form of class III elastics. So instead of from one lower hook to one upper hook that is farther behind, the elastic hooks on two on the lower, up to two farther back on the upper arch. It's just this pretty consistent ache and pressure but sometimes it is harder to deal with/manage than other times. What have you found helpful? I've been taking acetaminophen and ibuprofen; I read that ibuprofen can slow down tooth movement though... any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
Braced: 6 March 2018
self-ligating ceramic and metal brackets combo
Estimated Treatment Time: 22 months

CaliCo

Re: Coping w/Elastics and Rubber Bands

#2 Post by CaliCo »

I hadn't heard that but I've been taking a lot of ibuprofen for pain and headaches caused by my tooth movement. I'd like to know if it is possibly inhibiting tooth movement

Vicki04

#3 Post by Vicki04 »

By now I'm sure you've adjusted to the tension and would've found what worked for you during the adjustment period in your elastics. Wish you all the best on the movement :)

I've gone through two different configurations with elastics so far, the first time to move my lower jaw back - lower canine to my top second molars on both left and right - (the pressure was horrible for a week) and then my second and current round to correct my mid line - bottom right second molar to top right lateral incisor, 2nd right bicuspid to right central incisor and 1st right bicuspid to left central incisor (\\\) - (only hurt for a day or two).
I don't find pain medication helpful in general so I have warm liquids(soup, tea etc) and cool water to ease the ache and when I get home from work I'd try nap off the ache, unfortunately medication didn't help me much so this was how I coped with the pain :| .
1. Crowding
2. High Canines
3. Crossbite
4. Edge to edge bite
They're just kind of wonky :crazy:

lajp

#4 Post by lajp »

Thanks for the tips on managing the pressure and aches! I try not to take pain meds unless I feel that I really need it. Usually ibuprofen or acetaminophen. So hot/warm and cool/cold things both seem to help? I know with most things we wonder if heat/warm is best or if cool/cold is best.
Braced: 6 March 2018
self-ligating ceramic and metal brackets combo
Estimated Treatment Time: 22 months