Lisp after getting braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Murcatko

Lisp after getting braces

#1 Post by Murcatko »

Hi, so I got my braces last Thursday (4 days ago). I got ceramic brackets on my top teeth and I also had 2 premolars extracted.
The braces don’t hurt me or bother me at all after day 2, which is great...
But I have a slight lisp when saying some words, for example “s” sound or “chi” sound (as in chips). I didn’t expect this at all! I work in a team and today I tried really hard not to say words with letters that make me lisp :(

Is this a temporary thing or will it get better? I worry that the lisp might be because of my teeth extractions in which case it will take months before the gaps close.

Did you have any similar experience?

EmilyTravels

Re: Lisp after getting braces

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

I have also been lisping since I got my braces, and I don't have extractions. I have had braces for 8 months and am still lisping. I hate it and pray that it will go away when my braces are off, but I don't know. Braces seem to have changed the interaction of my tongue, teeth, and roof of mouth.

My case may be a little different as I am in braces due to jaw fractures sustained in a bicycle accident a year ago. I had to have my jaw wired together followed by braces. My lower jaw was pushed way back in the accident, and I have much more of an overjet than before. Elastics are helping, but my bite will never be the same as before. I didn't notice any lisping until I got braces, though.

Hope yours goes away quickly!

Murcatko

#3 Post by Murcatko »

I found out that if I record myself on my phone and listen to it the lisp is actually much less there than what I hear when I speak. I think it's because we hear our voices quite differently than what they really are. So try to record yourself and maybe it will make you feel better if it's not as strong :) I also tried reading news out loud for myself and whenever I would notice lisping, I would repeat the word and try to reposition my teeth/tongue/lips so I don't lisp. I actually found few positions for certain sounds where the lisp is weaker.

Mrcf

#4 Post by Mrcf »

Same is me. I got a little lisp. My be from the little space of my extracted incisor or from the brackets or both. Nothing to bad. But I hope it will go away.
2018.04.25. Extraction of lower incisor
2018.05.07. Lower ceramic braces